Nosecone for 3" mailing tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awseiger

Reaction score
So, I discovered the beauty of the Staples mailing tubes the other day... Extremely cheap. It's kind of like a gold mine for MPR rockets...

Anyway, post ALL the commercially available nosecones you know of that fit into these mailing tubes. I know the Pinnacle 3" nosecone from giant leap fits from this thread, but shipping it all the way from California seems a little crazy.

It seems to me this one would fit the 3" tubes as well, but I'd like confirmation before I order up one.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Nose_Cones/High_Power_Nose_Cones/PNC-3.00_75mm_Thick_Wall_Tubes

And I guess there's always making your own, but my attempts haven't turned out so pretty. Plus, I like the plastic cones the best.

IMG_0818.jpg

I'm building a 3" mail tube rocket right now and the LOC nose cone fits great. All the standard 3" cones should work.

The 3" cone from LOC/Precision fit's well, I've used the same combination. https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/loc/locpnc300.htm
What I learned is that if you want your rocket to have a great finish, mailing tubes suck. The ones I used from Office Max have a white outer wrap, but it's only glued at the overlapped seam. To get a decent finish on the rocket it all had to be removed, then you're basicly down to raw cardboard. I found the extra work to not be worth the small savings.

The 3" cone from LOC/Precision fit's well, I've used the same combination. https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/loc/locpnc300.htm
What I learned is that if you want your rocket to have a great finish, mailing tubes suck. The ones I used from Office Max have a white outer wrap, but it's only glued at the overlapped seam. To get a decent finish on the rocket it all had to be removed, then you're basicly down to raw cardboard. I found the extra work to not be worth the small savings.

I'm one who thinks that paintjobs are better observed from the pad :)

Regardless, the ones from staples seem to have a paper wrap around them. After some sanding, I got it nice and smooth.

I used Zinsser's Fast Prime 2 water base primer. I thinned it down and rolled it on. It soaked into the paper well and the tubes took some sanding but they are really solid.

Yep, the one from Apogee works great. Just got one the other day and it fit the Staples Mailing tube perfectly. I have found the tubes from Staples finish up well. It takes an extra coat or two of primer to completely seal it, and wet sanding helps keep from going through the primer and re-opening the surface of the paper, but it does make for a very smooth finish. Another alternative - if you don't mind the fumes - is to give the whole tube a coat of thin CA. this seals the paper and makes it a permanent, and strong, covering. For anything other than MPR you might want to coat it with a thin layer of epoxy and fabric - or so I've been told.

Back