Family Drag Race Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks. I used standard monocoat(iron on type), chrome silver and green metalic. a dry clothes iron set roughly halfway between 'silk' & 'polyester'(you'll need to do some testing...the required temp is just under the melting point).
rex

thanks. I used standard monocoat(iron on type), chrome silver and green metalic. a dry clothes iron set roughly halfway between 'silk' & 'polyester'(you'll need to do some testing...the required temp is just under the melting point).
rex

Thanks for all of that, my next question it was.

I thought it likely that, someone was bound to ask...:).
rex

I was going to try some aluminum tape, though I don't know how long it will hold its shine. I think I'll try it before I go after the monocote, I don't have any of that fancy stuff. I fixed my loose fin from the last flight, after I get it re-filleted, I'll try slapping some tape on it.

well I do happen to have some leftover from earlier projects...neon blue,aluminum,red, met green & purple, and the afore mentioned chrome...:).
rex

Didn't have to go to work tonight, no load back from KC. Oh well, gives me an excuse to get started on my Jart!

Going to build pretty much stock like these that chadrog and family built. Thanks chadrog for the goodies. Guess I now have the "baconator" as a name for my Jart. Still laughing about those stickers. Gotta find some of that Kronenbourg. I miss the tastes of German/Bavarian beers. Think a quick road trip to a big world of beers is in order tomorrow.

Should have the bulk of The assembly done tonight. Trying out the new Gorilla brand 5min epoxy. So far it's pretty good stuff.

Think I will go ahead and throw some color on my Jart. Thinking bright neon colors will be best. Along with a bright 'chute for recovery.

So now that these are out and flying, what are good choices for engines where I get to actually see the flight. F's and G's in 29mm. Will pick up a case here in a couple weeks.

Thanks again for the info and build threads. Glad to try my first fiberglass kit and first rocket from the Wildman should be fun to launch.

See ya,
Rod

mine (24oz) flew nicely on an Estes F50-6 (figured that it is hard to 'hurt' a wildman design :)).
rex

Didn't have to go to work tonight, no load back from KC. Oh well, gives me an excuse to get started on my Jart!

Going to build pretty much stock like these that chadrog and family built. Thanks chadrog for the goodies. Guess I now have the "baconator" as a name for my Jart. Still laughing about those stickers. Gotta find some of that Kronenbourg. I miss the tastes of German/Bavarian beers. Think a quick road trip to a big world of beers is in order tomorrow.

Should have the bulk of The assembly done tonight. Trying out the new Gorilla brand 5min epoxy. So far it's pretty good stuff.

Think I will go ahead and throw some color on my Jart. Thinking bright neon colors will be best. Along with a bright 'chute for recovery.

So now that these are out and flying, what are good choices for engines where I get to actually see the flight. F's and G's in 29mm. Will pick up a case here in a couple weeks.

Thanks again for the info and build threads. Glad to try my first fiberglass kit and first rocket from the Wildman should be fun to launch.

See ya,
Rod

Hope you stopped by Arthur Bryant's while in KC, best BBQ in the world! Glad the bits arrived in good order, hope they serve you well. The larger piece of kevlar was included to fashion a chute protector from, if you so choose.
Post 115 of this thread has video of our first two flights, both on Aerotech F40 White Lightning loads. The two rockets flown differed in weight by about 9oz. (1lb.6oz./1lb.15oz) but flights were both good (and fully visible) on the F40's. The only other flight so far was an impromptu Wildman drag race, which was a CTI 3G G load, in the 1lb.6oz. version. I lost track of the rocket, fortunately someone else stumbled upon it later in the day. It might not have been out of sight, but it was out of MY sight. So I'm going to say high impulse F to whatever will fit is a great motor choice for the Jart! I was planning to put mine up on an I200 at Midwest Power, but I have an H268 currently loaded in that case that didn't get used at the last launch, so I'll probably go with that - should get the job done. And remember - DON'T SNORT IT!

Last edited:
mine (24oz) flew nicely on an Estes F50-6 (figured that it is hard to 'hurt' a wildman design :)).
rex

Pretty much indestructible - you were there to see the results of that second flight of ours...

Well, I wondered what that short bit of kevlar was for and I used it for a nose cone shock cord loop. Cut off the molded plastic loop, cut two holes in bottom and tied ends of kevlar together after feeding it through. Will pick up rest of recovery bits when I get the motor case. Will try and fashion a chute protector out of the fabric.

Did use the motor retainer. Did it like yours, I left it plenty long to cut off after I get the case.

Rocket is assembled and resting while epoxy fully cures overnight.

Five nights a week I truck from Wichita to KC. Overnight run so I don't get to stop and see the city much.

Thanks again,
Rod

Well, I wondered what that short bit of kevlar was for and I used it for a nose cone shock cord loop. Cut off the molded plastic loop, cut two holes in bottom and tied ends of kevlar together after feeding it through. Will pick up rest of recovery bits when I get the motor case. Will try and fashion a chute protector out of the fabric.

Did use the motor retainer. Did it like yours, I left it plenty long to cut off after I get the case.

Rocket is assembled and resting while epoxy fully cures overnight.

Five nights a week I truck from Wichita to KC. Overnight run so I don't get to stop and see the city much.

Thanks again,
Rod

That's what the short bit was for, never trust the molded loop. Jefftospace did, now his Jart has a filament wound cone - still trying to find the down side of that situation... Glad to hear its going well, this kit is the perfect gateway drug to fiberglass, destined to be a legend. Last time I talked to Tim, he said he had sold over three hundred of them.

Last edited:
In preparation for Midwest Power, I've been putting some finishing touches on the Jart fleet. I covered the fins of mine with the aluminum tape last night, and will work on the lights of the night rockets today. Hopefully the tape will provide some tracking assistance. The night birds aren't out of shape, but I found some brighter LED units for the nose cones. The new ones are smaller diameter, so I need to find/make a spacer of some sort.
PIC_2961.jpgPIC_2963.jpg

The night Jarts both flew well at MWP X on G75 Metalstorms. I chickened out on the H flight, that is still to come. Now that they have all been proven flight worthy, they will be flown a lot. Here's some night launch footage from last Saturday. As you'll see, the Jarts fared much better than I.:(

[video=youtube_share;6ToUO4Cu0Gg]https://youtu.be/6ToUO4Cu0Gg[/video]

for what its worth, I used an 18" top flight chute in mine (24 oz w/o motor) at mwp x, worked nicely (the F52-6t was a nice motor too :)).
rex

The high impulse F motors are great choices for the Jart if you want to see the flight, the Jart drag race @ MWPX was the other side of that coin. I think there was about a dozen of them lit all at once. They were loaded with a variety of motors, all CTI 29mm 3G h's (assumingly). All flights were out of sight, one rocket (that I noticed) shredded. I think the shread was on the H410. I'll work on getting some video of that debotchery up later in the day.

The high impulse F motors are great choices for the Jart if you want to see the flight, the Jart drag race @ MWPX was the other side of that coin. I think there was about a dozen of them lit all at once. They were loaded with a variety of motors, all CTI 29mm 3G h's (assumingly). All flights were out of sight, one rocket (that I noticed) shredded. I think the shread was on the H410. I'll work on getting some video of that debotchery up later in the day.

OK.

JARTS ON 'ROIDS!!!

[video=youtube_share;JwTYwoA3ss0]https://youtu.be/JwTYwoA3ss0[/video]

Back