X-Plane SST: Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice build Simon. Can you post the Open Rocket file?

Thank you. Never attached an OR File. I'll try... If it doesn't work let me know.

The dimensions are correct,... but I didn't go nuts weighing parts to get accurate wt info. I figure I'll just use weight correction to get accurate sims after construction is complete.

Attachments

• X-Plane HST 3in.ork
    1.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thank you. Never attached an OR File. I'll try... If it doesn't work let me know.

The dimensions are correct,... but I didn't go nuts weighing parts to get accurate wt info. I figure I'll just use weight correction to get accurate sims after construction is complete.

That's a good looking design. It's simple, and yet retains the SST look. If I didn't have so many other builds going, I might build one myself.

Thanks Jim. That's quite a compliment. As shown by the thread,... it goes together simply. Its just a 3F2WNC.

Best wishes. Simon

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. That's quite a compliment. As shown by the thread,... it goes together simply. Its just a 3F2WNC.

Best wishes. Simon

I can't wait to see how you finish it. Are you planning on some sort of cockpit? I have yet to find a simple way of putting a cockpit bubble on a nose cone.

I can't wait to see how you finish it. Are you planning on some sort of cockpit? I have yet to find a simple way of putting a cockpit bubble on a nose cone.

I'm having mark (stickershock) do some stickers. There is a theme.

I thought about doing a cockpit on the NC,... but decided it's not worth the effort. The way I would do it is make an epoxy slurry that I rough shape on the nose cone,... but separated from the NC with parchment paper. Then use a disk / belt sander to sand to a elongated flattened pyramid (off the nose-cone)... once happy with the shape... glue it onto the NC.

The one thing I have been thinking is how amazing this would look in naked Carbon Fiber with just a few minimal graphics...

Last edited:
Aft CR Epoxied.

The 38 mm MMT extends beyond the Aft CR for the AeroPack MRS.

Next up,... Wing / Fin external fillets.

X-032.jpg

X-033.jpg

Masked for fillets.

I'm going to apply the fillets in 2 stages. Wings first,... then fins.

X-034.jpg

X-035.jpg

X-036.jpg

Last edited:
The one thing I have been thinking is how amazing this would look in naked Carbon Fiber with just a few minimal graphics...
I think maybe a CF pattern vinyl wrap and wing/fin covering may be in order! Do whatever you like (IOW, don't listen to my crazy ramblings :p), but that would look AMAZING!

Fillets applied.

On this build, I let the thickened epoxy slurry set to a gel and then removed the tape. 1st time I've removed the tape before the epoxy sets. Worked well. I was very careful where I put the edge of the tape with respect to the diameter of by fillet tool (PVC).

My fillets always need sanding to get them perfectly smooth...

X-037.jpg

X-038.jpg

X-039.jpg

X-040.jpg

X-041.jpg

I think maybe a CF pattern vinyl wrap and wing/fin covering may be in order! Do whatever you like (IOW, don't listen to my crazy ramblings :p), but that would look AMAZING!

Or,... if it flies well,.... an upscale with a 5 motor cluster in CF...

Just to see where I stand weight wise,... I put her on a scale.

The body assembly (essentially complete except for sand / prime / paint / buttons / and AeroPack MRS / chute & cord): 52.2 Oz
Fiberglass 6:1 Ogive Nosecone: 11.3 Oz

Total: 63.5 Ounces

(She will need nose weight)

I LIKE the technique you used, looks really nice!

I really hope you video the launch, oh, can't wait to see the finish ship, she is looking very sweet so far!!

I'm watching with great intrest --also learning a lot too!! --Looks outstanding -as is the workmanship.

A brief pause while I finished the Patriot...

PAT054.jpg

There's a build thread in HPR if anyone is interested.

I finalized the Decals for the X-Plane HST with Mark / Stickershock today. (Mark also did the Patriot)

Hopefully I can get the fillets sanded tomorrow,... then a coat of primer to see how things look.

Love the way you changed the paint and Mark always comes through with great work!! When do you plan to fly her?

Love the way you changed the paint and Mark always comes through with great work!! When do you plan to fly her?

Thanks.

The first flight will be my Level-I Cert attempt. The next opportunity is 9/1,... but that's the Labor Day Weekend,... and our Yacht Club has a 3 Day End Of Summer Party that weekend,... I'm hoping I can skip out a little of Sat AM to go fly her. But it'll also depend on weather. If not 9/1,... hopefully first Sat in October.

Rough sanded the wing fillets. Still a little way to go before they are ready for filling any pinholes / divots. Then the tail fins get the same treatment.

Then I addressed the NC. Iw was a really tight fit in the BT. Took about 45 minutes of sanding... test... sand... test... sand... to get it to where it would slide freely. Is this the norm when fitting a FG NC to a FG BT?

The vinyl stickers arrived from mark (stickershock) today... Very Nice. There's some motivation. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow.

But I was able to finish the 1st sanding of the fillets. Hopefully I can fill the little pinholes tomorrow and get the final sanding done on sunday.

Then it's ready for priming!

Last edited:
The vinyl stickers arrived from mark (stickershock) today... Very Nice. There's some motivation. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow.

But I was able to finish the 1st sanding of the fillets. Hopefully I can fill the little pinholes tomorrow and get the final sanding done on sunday.

Then it's ready for priming!

Well,... I was able to get the filling done today.

If the rain stops tomorrow,... I might be able to start the final sanding after work.

Well,... I was able to get the filling done today.

If the rain stops tomorrow,... I might be able to start the final sanding after work.

Between the bands of rain I was able to get the wing fillets preliminary sanded (120 grit).

Rain has been holding up a couple of projects here, not that I mind the rain at all this time of year!

Between the bands of rain I was able to get the wing fillets preliminary sanded (120 grit).

I was able to get the fin fillets preliminary sanded (120 grit) today.

Hopefully I can get the fine sanding done tomorrow and thursday.

I still have some sanding work to do on the nosecone. But,... Possibly ready for priming this weekend???

Time for some pics...

Here are the fillets before filling of pinholes...

X-042.jpg

X-043.jpg

X-044.jpg

Back