X-Plane SST: Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be here waiting!!

Don't get discouraged on a good site, I live, well let's say it's a geographical oddity, I am 2 hours drive from everywhere!!

That's cool though, we just make it a family event, which is WAY better than doing alone!!

Talked to Tim (Wildman) today... BT has been slotted. Parts should be shipped today / tomorrow.

1st part arrived today. Not helpful for getting started... but critical none the less.

X001.jpg

Fins and Wings have arrived. Both G-10. From PML.

I think I went thicker than necessary... .093 for fins and 0.125 for the wings.

I'm going to round off leading edges and bevel trailing edges.

X-002.jpg

X-003.jpg

Last edited:
NICE wings!!

I have never worked with FG, so I couldn't say, but they look cool!

Can't wait to see them attached, have you decided on a NC shape?

Package arrived from Tim Lehr today...

3" x 33" FG Body Tube. slotted for 3 tail fins and 2 wings.
38mm x 15" FG MMT
3 CR's
6:1 OGIVE FG Nosecone with bulkhead plate.

X-004.jpg

X-005.jpg

X-006.jpg

One thing for certain,... she won't be light!!!

Tonights activity... wash the FG bits. Bevel / Shape / Sand the fins / wings.

Last edited:
A little heavy in the hips,ehh. Thats not a bad thing.
Nothing wrong with a Fat-Bottom design....:wink:
Anywhoo.........
Ill be viewing with pleasure.....:pop:

The biggest assembly decision was in what order to assemble in order to maintain access to the wing fin roots for fillets. I'm using 3 CR's (fwd / mid(between wings and fins), and aft.

I considered placing the middle CR first, and completing the wing fillets from fwd,... but they're a long way back. So I decided to work from the Fwd CR backwards... seems the easiest approach... just need to be careful when applying wing fillets so I don't have difficulty with the middle CR.

MMT washed; scuffed for 3 CR's, 2 Wings, and 3 Fins; then re-washed.

1st epoxy laid. Forward CR attached. Fillets applied.

X-007.jpg

X-008.jpg

Last edited:

Tonights activity... wash the FG bits. Bevel / Shape / Sand the fins / wings.

Progress:
1. All FG bits washed
2. Wings/fins sanded and bevelled.
3. Body Tube scuffed (at 3 CR locations inside; and at Fillet sites for wings and Fins inside and out)
4. I needed to open up the fin and wing slots a bit (a tad too narrow). I used a section of coarse belt sander "paper" attached to a 1" metal spackle spatula. worked well.
5. Re-wash BT/Wings/Fins.

Welded eyebolt attached to CR. CA and epoxy to permanently attach nut.

I tested the assembly in the BT to ensure the quick link was feasible. My arm/hand don't fit,... but my wife can do it.

X-010.jpg

Wow!!

She is coming along FAST and so far looks to be great work as usual.

Thanks for the sharing the link, that's one I didn't know about...

38mm MMT epoxied in place in the 3" BT. Only the Fwd CR epoxied for now. Aft CR loosely fit (with scotch tape tabs) for alignment.

I always use 30 min epoxy in this step to avoid being rushed. Epoxy applied using dowel rod with cardboard spatula taped on (to apply epoxy deep in the tube.)

X-011.jpg

Wow!!

She is coming along FAST and so far looks to be great work as usual.

Thanks for the sharing the link, that's one I didn't know about...

Thanks for the kind comment. I'm off today,... and my 6 y/o is sick. So I'm stuck at the house. Work will slow a bit after today...

Of course I never scuffed the attach points of the wings and fins... Scuffed / washed / dried.

If all goes well, I'll get the wings attached today.

Last edited:
Wings attached.

Note my hi-tech wing alignment jig! Inverted Campbell's Soup containers to restrain the BT. Inverted single serving apple sauce to support the wings, with an add'l quarter spacer.

90 degree square to ensure all is true. Measured about 5x... then bonded.

Will let it cure,... then I'll remove the aft CR and see how things look inside. Then internal fillets... followed by the middle CR,... and then I can add the Tail Fins.

Full cure for 5 min epoxy according to the box is 16 hours,... so that's it for today. Fillets tomorrow night

X-012.jpg

X-013.jpg

X-014.jpg

X-015.jpg

Last edited:
My curiosity got the better of me. Here are pics with the tail fins and nosecone dry fit...

I'm really happy with the overall look / style.

X-019.jpg

X-020.jpg

X-021.jpg

X-022.jpg

X-023.jpg

Last edited:
Internal fillets applied to wings.

Fillets done with west systems epoxy/slow hardener/west colloidal silica. Slurry mixture placed in 60cc syringe and applied using refrigerator tubing to get the slurry in position. Dowel to spatula to sculpt.

I was concerned about slop contaminating the MMT and body tube,... so I while thickening the epoxy I pulled off a small quantity of the mixture just prior to full thickness... with this thinner mix, I applied a bead to the MMT and BT and immediately placed the middle centering ring.

To avoid any issues with heat expansion during curing,... I pre-drilled (2) 1/8" holes in the middle CR to allow gases to ventilate.

After cure I will apply a fillet bead at the aft end of this middle CR.

Due to time constraint of getting the CR applied, I didn't get a pic of the internal wing fillets. But here is the middle CR in place...

X-025.jpg

Aft CR fillet.

To apply deep fillets in narrow spaces I use a syringe/tube to apply a bead of thickened epoxy (as above). Then use a V-tipped dowel to shape the fillet.

X-026.jpg

X-027.jpg

X-028.jpg

Build is coming along great, enjoying the pics, thinking about tackling some FG after my L2 flight...

What size MMT did you decide on?

I may have missed it.

Single 38mm x 15" long MMT, in a 3" x 33" Body Tube.

Thanks for the support. FG is very easy to work with. Give it a shot!

Last edited:
Looking good! I always do dry fits when I'm building-- it helps keep me motivated and excited about the build.
I like the profile of it, and I think the 6:1 NC looks better than a 5:1 would. It sure looks like it'll come in fast though, with all that fiberglass.
Keep up the good work! :)

Back