If you could go back in time....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
Here is a fun question:

If you could go back in time to when you first started rocketry and tell your past self ONE THING (lets's make it one sentence). What would it be?

For me it would be:
"Lose the hot glue gun!!!"

When I first started rocketry hot glue was basically the only thing I used. I would attach everything with a low temp hot glue gun, from engine and shock cord mounts, to fins. It was only when I started building my 2nd or 3rd MPR rocket did I start using more epoxy and wood glue then anything else. I greatly regret those dark days. I cant believe I ruined a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke with such bad building skills!

"Buy several of every Estes and Centuri kit you can get your hands on, they will be worth a fortune in a few decades."

Do your Homework (Math & Sceince!!!) and get into college & Univercity!!!!!

or

Invest in Microsoft / Apple / Autodesk! (it was the 80's when I started my rocketry ways and started high school..)

Do your Homework (Math & Sceince!!!) and get into college & Univercity!!!!!

or

Invest in Microsoft / Apple / Autodesk! (it was the 80's when I started my rocketry ways and started high school..)

And a strange sounding company called "Google".

Get my dad more interested in it so we could have built & flown together(he's been gone for 12 yrs.now)and save a lot more money for this hobby

It's not quite what you're asking, but I wonder how the 13-year-old me would react if the 50-year-old me showed up to tell him about the 12-foot tall rockets I'm now flying. :)

-- Roger

Follow your dream and really start your own rocket company.
PS Lynn Hillcrest just isn't worth the effort

Don't worry about what anybody has to say about your hobby - just do it to the best of your ability.

The fins at the bottom have to be a lot bigger than the fins at the top! :y:
(Fortunately none of my obviously-unstable designs were flown before I learned about CP and CG. Whew!)

tell my Mom just how important it will be to take me back to the store get the Estes Saturn 1b when I first saw it there, in all of its glory.....instead of waiting a month and when we returned it was gone (never to be seen again...)...37 years later, I had to buy every single on of Dr. Zooch's saturn 1b's to fill the void....

Get my dad more involved....(so we could spend more time together like my vacation week when he taught me to weld!)

Don't let your mom throw out your Rockets and "GI Joe" stuff (the original 12" wit da Kung Fu Grip) while you're off at Basic.

Oh gosh. Time travel causes headaches. I believe that migraine headaches are actually "timequakes" caused when changes to our past travel up the continuum and reach us.

If I were offered time travel (backwards), I wouldn't take it anyfurther back than late 2006, because that was the time when my youngest child was conceived. If I changed anything prior to that, the cascading changes would result in a temporal incursion removing him from my timespace continuum. Even if I had a child at the same time, odds are it would be a different sperm fertilizing the egg. Chaos theory, and all that.

I'll close with this excerpt from Man-Kzin Wars 13, in which some Kzin warriors are talking to each other:

”Remember the Chunquen?”
”Both sexes were sentient. They fought constantly.”
”And that funny religion on Altair One. They thought
they could travel in time.”
”Yes, Sir, when we landed the infantry they were
all gone.”
”They must have all committed suicide with disinte-
grators. But why? They knew we only wanted slaves.
And I'm still trying to figure out how they got rid of
the disintegrators afterwards.”
”Some beings,” said A-T Of?cer, ”will do anything to
keep their beliefs.”
———-From The Warriors (recording salvaged
from the wreckage of kzin scout ship
Far-Ranging Prowler’s bridge recorder
by the crew of The Angel's Pencil.)​

PAY FOR EVERYTHING! If you can't buy it outright--save for it and wait---master of frugalness---well, now anyway.

Get back into rocketry earlier. Put some money on sporting events. Find a few 54 Gardiner Bullets from the Civil War.

Back