SA-2 Guideline Surface to Air Missle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
Well I finally got enough parts together to build a rocket that's been on my build list forever. I dont know why NOBODY has ever kitted this rocket! Oh well, I love a good scratch build. This missle has downed more US aircraft than any other. Airforce pilots in Vietnam refered to it as the "flying telaphone pole". The booster stage is 4" blue tube, then a 4"X3" reducer to a 3" blue tube upper section. The larger fins are 3/16" ply and the smaller fins are 1/8" ply. Motor mount is 38mm. Openrocket sims the weight at just under 4 lbs but I tend to build on the heavy side so I shootin for a hair over 4lbs. Here is my open rocket file. Still waiting on my plywood order but I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get a chance to upload em to the computer. View attachment 4 inch SAM.ork Here is a picture of how I hope it will look.sa2.jpg

Man, Bill, that is sweet! I will be very interested to see how you do that interstage section. I assume you are flying this one as a single stage, right? Any other paint schemes out there? Kinda hard to get behind that primer grey. Keep us posted, buddy! John.

John, I'm not doing anything complicated with the interstage coupling, just a regular transition. I'm not sticking to a true "scale" look though I might add a few small conduits and such. As for the paint, it's going to be either the grey or the olive drab green. So while waiting for my plywood delivery, I started work on the nose cone. First I epoxied an eye bolt into the 3" solid balsa. Then I used my dremel to cut grooves for the cannard fins to fit in. After they set up I used spot putty for the fillets and then primed it.GEDC0084.jpg

Well I finally got enough parts together to build a rocket that's been on my build list forever. I dont know why NOBODY has ever kitted this rocket! Oh well, I love a good scratch build. This missle has downed more US aircraft than any other. Airforce pilots in Vietnam refered to it as the "flying telaphone pole". The booster stage is 4" blue tube, then a 4"X3" reducer to a 3" blue tube upper section. The larger fins are 3/16" ply and the smaller fins are 1/8" ply. Motor mount is 38mm. Openrocket sims the weight at just under 4 lbs but I tend to build on the heavy side so I shootin for a hair over 4lbs. Here is my open rocket file. Still waiting on my plywood order but I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get a chance to upload em to the computer. View attachment 90840 Here is a picture of how I hope it will look.View attachment 90841

Rocketaruim has a LPR kit.

Rocketaruim has a LPR kit.

And a company called Scale Kits used to produce a mid-power kit of the SA-2.

Neither of the kits, however, is as impressive as Bill's rocket. :)

-- Roger

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, Roger, and John. Next, using a fin template and angle bracket, I marked all my fin locations. GEDC0077.jpgGEDC0078.jpg

Here is a picture of how I hope it will look.
Thanks for the compliment. ;)

It's a relatively undetailed model because it depicts an earlier version of the SA-2 before various extra conduits were added. I found the original in a museum in former East Germany and it's therefore one of the few SA-2 models anyone has built with East German insignia. You can see the original here.

Another common colour scheme had a broad white band around the sustainer between the main and aft fins, and a white body for the booster. This one is on display at Peenemünde.

Here's how the model looks in the sky, before and after the booster separates.

196sa2_sky1.jpg

199sa2_separation1.jpg

Next it's on to rail buttons. Epoxied a block on the lower. The transition came with a small hole drilled in the 4" shoulder so I thought it would make a perfect place for a rail button. GEDC0089.jpgGEDC0093.jpg

All the fins on the upper section are surface mounted so I roughed up the lower fin locations and epoxied them in place. GEDC0095.jpgGEDC0096.jpgGEDC0098.jpgGEDC0105.jpg

What a beautiful missile ,I absolutely love these kinds of builds.......BRAVO !!!!

I will be watching

Paul T

Alright, my plywood finally came in today and I could get back to work on the SAM. After marking the fin locations, Using my dremel cutting wheel, I cut the fin slots. I know some of you guys use different methods for this but this works fine for me. It takes a steady hand but it can be done! GEDC0107.jpgGEDC0106.jpg

Next I installed the forward centering ring. Oh yeah, before that I sanded all the inner surfaces where the fins meet the motor mount and for all the inner fillets. I also glued a 3"X1.5" centering ring on top of the transition so the shock cord U bolt would have more to hold on to.GEDC0115.jpgGEDC0108.jpgGEDC0112.jpg

I know ya'll can't wait to see the obligitory dry fit so here it is. Tommorrow I'll work on the rear fins and inner and outer fillets.GEDC0118.jpgGEDC0117.jpg

Added one little detail today before I start the finish paint process. I used an aluminum funnel for the exhaust. As soon as my Aeropack retainer gets here, I'll JB weld it on. GEDC0124.jpg

Thanks Jim. Looks like I wont be able to launch it till Airfest since most of Oklahoma is under a burn ban.

We're in our summer hiatus here. Next launch will hopefully be in October. When is Airfest?

Yeah, Gary Powers was the U2 pilot shot down over Russia by one of these back in the 60's. Airfest is in Argonia Kansas Aug 31-Sept 3. Might be a while till I post the finished pics. I always seem to drag my feet at this point of a build. I hate the filling spirals, the sanding and painting part. Also sucks to be doing anything outdoors now in 100+ degree temps. Thanks everyone!

Yeah, Gary Powers was the U2 pilot shot down over Russia by one of these back in the 60's. Airfest is in Argonia Kansas Aug 31-Sept 3. Might be a while till I post the finished pics. I always seem to drag my feet at this point of a build. I hate the filling spirals, the sanding and painting part. Also sucks to be doing anything outdoors now in 100+ degree temps. Thanks everyone!

Bill,

You're at the point of construction I call "90% done with 90% left to go!"

I seem to fill then sand then fill then sand then prime then sand then prime then paint then sand until I just get sick of the process and declare myself done!

I tend to fly bigger rockets not only because I can fly bigger motors in them but also to get the increased rocket/crowd seperation distance I need for my rockets to look good!

I can't wait to see this fly at Airfest,
Bob

Now for the part I've been dreading. Im going to go with the grey paint scheme but I was wondering if I shoot a clear coat over the flat grey, will it turn out shiny or flat? I know that flat paints can show dirty finger prints and such and I thought that the clear coat would help keep it looking clean.GEDC0125.jpg.

I sprayed my Ion Disruptor and Who's Your Daddy with Rustolem 2X satin clear. Both turned out kind of semi-gloss. I'm sure if you sprayed it with flat clear, it would look flat but the paint would be better protected.

163_outside.jpg

104_satin.jpg

Well I'm going to call this one done. I can cross one more off my to do list. After two days of fill, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, prime, my arthritic hands, and the 100+ degree heat, I've had enough. The rocket finished up weighing in, loaded with recovery gear right at 5 lbs even. First flight will be on a AT I-154J and approx altitude of 1890 ft. It will have an keychain camera onboard so stay tuned and I will post pics of the flight. GEDC0128.jpgGEDC0131.jpg

Back