LDRS 32

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This a TRA launch. And I don't see where their restrictions are a problem to NAR or CAR members.Just don't attend if it is a problem with your Personally chosen single organization.
Keep in mind that NAR insurance covers NAR members flying commercial even at an TRA Research launch. The restrictions at TRA Research launches come from TRA, not NAR.

The reciprocity between TRA and NAR is breaking down, IMHO. If you read the ROCKETS Magazine LDRS 31 article, there are a number of people who agree:

Greg Gardner: Why are NAR flyers and L1-certified fliers not allowed to fly rockets just because someone who wants to fly Research is present?

Chris Colby: When I looked at the participation of TRA vs. NAR members at LDRS XXXI, I saw a three-quarter TRA and one-quarter NAR split on Sunday due to the junior member program. But with more and more TRA launches turning to all research, the NAR people would be out in the cold due to NAR standards.

That last has a misconception: as a NAR member, I can fly under NAR rules at any TRA launch, even Research, and my flights are completely covered by my NAR insurance (see https://www.nar.org/insurancefaq.html#Q24 ). It's TRA that doesn't allow me to fly, not NAR.

All that said, it's the LDRS 32 organizers who make the rules for their event and it's their right to do so.

I commend Mark C and company for reviewing their policy it seems they have made a correction or two

from the website

Commercial Launch Days
Saturday and Sunday, July 20 & 21 will be commercial only launch days. TRA and NAR certified flyers may launch any certified commercial motors per their certification level on these days. There shall be no Non-Member Flyers. You Must be a members of TRA or NAR. Children of TRA and NAR Members will be permitted to fly up thru G Class motors under their parent's supervision and membership. Exception to this rule will be those Tripoli members, 12 to 18, in the Mentoring Program who may fly to the level of their mentor.

Last edited:
Away cell date restrictions changed/ Cells OK all days. Still need advance approval.

Flights over 50k
from TRA BoD
Due to increased scrutiny and renewed interaction between FAA and sister Federal agencies. Rocket,s regardless of impulse designed to fly above 50,000 feet AGL will be submitted to the Class 3 committee for review. This is internal and not a request by any Federal Agency but a renewed commitment to Safety by Tripoli. This does not constitute a Class 3 certification but is an excellent primer for obtaining one.

https://ldrs32.com/

Deb and I are already registered, and we have our plan tickets. I'm in the process of making some additional plans (like what to bring!), and reading the Flier's Info page on the website, I was wondering if you could clarify something for me?

The website says

The Tripoli Gerlach Launch Control System (LCS) has the capability to support a large number of pads from its main Command box. The Launch Area for LDRS 32 will be configured to duplicate the pad arrangements used at all BALLS Launches, with banks of High Power pads placed at 500', 1,000' and 1,800' from the spectator flight line. Model Rocket pads are placed at 100' from the from spectator light line.

Can you tell me how many pads will be at each distance? Having an idea of what'll be there may well affect what I do (or don't) bring.

Thanks!

-Kevin

If none of the Tripoli Gerlach guys use this forum, who is the "highest ranking" Tripoli Member related to LDRS on here?

CC, how far do you need? IIRC 2500' is the max required for anything.

I believe I am the only person associated with LDRS on TRF

Mark

Last edited:
We can talk about the details closer to the assigned date, but I've been thinking about safety a lot given two recent threads in propulsion. I'm not worried about cato's being dangerous at that distance-I trust CTI to have properly designed the case so the ends come off and not the sidewalls. I'm concerned about the amount of time it would take for the vehicle to traverse 2500' toward the crowd; it's less than a second if it fails at max-Q (burnout velocity of ~4000fps). Now, while I am going to be close to %99 certain of success this time, that's not how professionals run launches. I'm just wondering how much further we can move it to to give a better margin of safety.

Hey, out of curiosity, have you guys finalized pad count and layouts yet?

-Kevin

Hey, out of curiosity, have you guys finalized pad count and layouts yet?

-Kevin

Robin and Tom are working on that.
We have here the AHPRA pads, and some new ones and the pads from Pittsburg.
Those with their own towers or other special pads will set them up with our pads at the required distances.
The plan is to leave the pads in Gerlach so we do not have to bring them back 2 months later for BALLS.

M

Away Pads question at LDRS 32.

LDRS 32 website states bring your own away pads.... for California clubs that means L flights and above....

Will there be no LDRS away pads for flyers wanting to fly L's, etc?

L's at awaycells? Sissys
Away to us is typically above N, things out past 1000 feet.
We are putting all the N5800s at 2000' due to high failure rate.

M

Away Pads question at LDRS 32.

LDRS 32 website states bring your own away pads.... for California clubs that means L flights and above....

Will there be no LDRS away pads for flyers wanting to fly L's, etc?

At ROC L's and M's are just at the back row, they're not away cells. Away cells are farrrrrrrr.

AND Ron make sure your Genny is working well, there will be no quick trip for parts at this LDRS. I promise I will bring my pillow as well! :D

Are the "spots" marked out or anything, or is this layout just a guideline?

My understanding from discussions my friend had with the organizers months ago is that the spots will be marked somehow. Since we are doing the Bistro we have reserved spots. They were very specific about vehicles not sticking out of spaces since my motorhome is 43 feet.

So....important question for Mark....

What day is Hawaiian Shirt Day? Shall we wear them to the banquet?

-Kevin

My son just asked me.....is there the Odd Roc competition this year?

He also was asking about drag races. The Dark Matter mass launch last year is his favorite part of the show.

It's still on the DVR since it first aired and he's seen it like 20 times.

Last edited:
My son just asked me.....is there the Odd Roc competition this year?

Nope. That was an artifact of Discovery.

He also was asking about drag races. The Dark Matter mass launch last year is his favorite part of the show.

I have no idea what the organizers have for a view on drag races, or if anyone has one planned.

-Kevin

Back