LDRS 32

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom said i should take my gf, my friend and I, rent a truck and have people pay us to transport rockets and motors and such. Not bad.... except for the 44 Hour drive almost cross country. idk we will see

I wonder how many daysit would take to drive there. I live near savannah and google says 1 day 19 hours.
I do it in 4 days, stopping at night. Nights around Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake, Gerlach. It's been a while, the last time I was there was LDRS XIV.

I do it in 4 days, stopping at night. Nights around Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake, Gerlach. It's been a while, the last time I was there was LDRS XIV.

Sounds about right...Stats from Maoquest Hinesville, GA to Gerlach, NV : Via I-80 W; 40 hrs 14 mins / 2682.91 miles

We have been getting 150,000 feet for the standing waiver for BALLS, same location.
I think this year we are to get 200k.
That high enough for ya?

Mark

That's about 198,000 feet more than I'll need.

The last time I was there was for LDRS 14 and FireBalls 5? Best time I had in my life EVER! I must make this launch!

I was at LDRS XIV too, 1995. We set up our own launch area to launch a few rockets a couple of miles away while the big boys flew their stuff.

Rocket 6.jpgRocket 9.jpg

Why do I suspect this will be your first LDRS?

Hasnt been this close in years, I'm relativity new to rocketry (3.5yrs), I'm a kid and cant travel easily, I cant go to too many launches out of state...
In the dream, the flight line went on for eternity (sounds like rocket heaven!). Apparently, It was my responsibility to bring the HPR pads and I had completely forgotten, so LDRS was done launching off of 4 LPR pads. Plus, I finished my little brother's LOC little nuke (which I had PROMISED not to do...)

Alex

Hasnt been this close in years, I'm relativity new to rocketry (3.5yrs), I'm a kid and cant travel easily, I cant go to too many launches out of state...

I think we can all relate -- we've been there, before.

Trust me, you're dead-on to look forward to it. The best part of big launches like that? The people.

-Kevin

I think we can all relate -- we've been there, before.

Trust me, you're dead-on to look forward to it. The best part of big launches like that? The people.

-Kevin

Yep. Very excited to watch great rockets and meet great people!

Alex

I guess in your subconscious you are already regretting going?

Jean was terribly hot (and very dry). Black Rock averages in the 80s in June, according to the Black Rock Wiki

-Kevin
Umm, what do you mean, "Jean was terribly hot"? Is that a typo, or a Autocorrect mistake? Or is that the name of a city?
Just wondering.

I've done outages at the power plant just south of there (in Primm). Beautiful place, I'll have to be sure to take along a few rockets the next time I head that way.

Alex..the best part of going to an LDRS or BALLS launch is the social overload. Weeks later you will realize whom you didn't meet because you were busy prepping and launching. oh well..sometimes you did meet them..just didn't get their name.:wink:

This is going to be my first LDRS. I have big plans for high performance, and the location is pure bliss, minus the issues with Bruno's (waitress from hell).

There was a discussion at the Tripoli Gerlach meeting of doing LDRS as research for all days.
If that is the case all who launch would need to be a TRA member.

Mark

Judging that LDRS is a Tripoli event that shouldn't really matter much. Spectators don't need to be. And if a TRA booth is right next to registration NAR members could sign up and fly.

Judging that LDRS is a Tripoli event that shouldn't really matter much. Spectators don't need to be. And if a TRA booth is right next to registration NAR members could sign up and fly.

Considering that Prefectures can take memberships at the field, there's no need for a "TRA booth".

LDRS hosts have taken memberships at the field for years.

-Kevin

A sign saying you can sign up here if you want to fly and aren't a TRA member. For those (like me) who didn't know the above information

Keepin me honest. Thanks Troj

Considering that Prefectures can take memberships at the field, there's no need for a "TRA booth".

LDRS hosts have taken memberships at the field for years.

-Kevin

having an actual booth probably would not be necessary, but having designated prefect(s) available (or on call) for signups at certain times would be helpful, so new members don't have to roam around or interrupt prefects who are busy with other things.

There was a discussion at the Tripoli Gerlach meeting of doing LDRS as research for all days.
If that is the case all who launch would need to be a TRA member.

Mark

My wife and I are planning to attend this next LDRS because it's the first one to be held in the Southwest since I became active in this hobby. I have a couple of HPR rockets I would like to launch (nothing really large and dangerous) but if it turns into a purely research launch will that still be possible? Being a NAR member might be a problem?

Last edited:
having an actual booth probably would not be necessary, but having designated prefect(s) available (or on call) for signups at certain times would be helpful, so new members don't have to roam around or interrupt prefects who are busy with other things.

Having a Prefect "on duty" for certifications is a very good idea, and something the KLOUDBusters do every year at AirFest, and when they host LDRS.

As far as new members go, it makes the most sense just to have the membership forms at Registration, and handle them there, along with registration-related functions.

-Kevin

My wife and I are planning to attend this next LDRS because it's the first one to be held in the Southwest since I became active in this hobby. I have a couple of HPR rockets I would like to launch (nothing really large and dangerous) but if it turns into a purely research launch will that still be possible? Being a NAR member might be a problem? [/SIZE][/FONT]

If they make it Research-only, you'd have to join Tripoli in order to be able to fly.

-Kevin

Back