LDRS 32

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is their waiver? I may have to attend that launch if I can curtail my trip to the desert to launch rockets in another.

We have been getting 150,000 feet for the standing waiver for BALLS, same location.
I think this year we are to get 200k.
That high enough for ya?

Mark

Can you a minimum diameter with an N? Looks like a need a mid tour leave project.

We have been getting 150,000 feet for the standing waiver for BALLS, same location.
I think this year we are to get 200k.
That high enough for ya?

Mark
Sweet Jesus 200k I must get to Balls!

We get Class 3 waivers higher, like 450k, but we are going to tell those projects to go to BALLS.
SOD! we do not have a blade of grass within 5 miles.

Mark

where i fly, i have hit %50 of the standing waiver 1 time. (at the lowest waiver its had since ive flown there.)
It was an awesome flight to 17k... MAch 1.4
Under a higher waiver, my wife hit 12,000 something, and Mach 1.25 ... which is only 24% of the waiver...

200k waiver, the best of the best on a min diameter n, dont hit 25% of that waiver.....

MOST of my flights wouldnt entertain more than 4% of that waiver... If i brought my best %15 of that waiver would be a lofty goal...

I would love to see a class 3 hit 70 to 80k...
(my wife asked why we dont go to balls 2013... i told her, i may just take her up on the offer)

What we have been doing, and I think Aeropac does the same, is keep requesting the higher altitude even if it is not needed.
What it does get you is when the class 3 waivers are applied for they are typically under the standing waiver and in the waiver cylinder.

It would take a special under class 3 rocket that could in the real world (not just a Sim Dream) to break 100k and meet safety code.

Mark

What we have been doing, and I think Aeropac does the same, is keep requesting the higher altitude even if it is not needed.
What it does get you is when the class 3 waivers are applied for they are typically under the standing waiver and in the waiver cylinder.

It would take a special under class 3 rocket that could in the real world (not just a Sim Dream) to break 100k and meet safety code.

Mark

2 questions about that waiver...

1) Is the 200k available at BALLS this year?

2) Is there any special procedure needed for high altitude (but sub class 3) rockets? Nothing that would break the waiver (even the 150k version), but still something that goes quite a lot higher than most projects out there.

1)We have applied for 200K but not recieved anything back yet. At a minimum we will get the 150 we had before.
2) Not typically. On your registration just put a quick discription and if I have an issue I will contact you

Mark

Hey! Ill have my driver's licence by then so I might be going to this one!

Alex

Mark,is the BALLS Unlimited Bowling Ball Duration contest still on out west?
Who has the record so far?
What motor?

Last edited:

Jim Jarvis has one of those special under class 3 rockets.

N5800 + N1100= 34150.7 Ns

I believe that's under Class 3, since it's under 40,960.

Based on his GPS he went over 100k, despite the sustainer not being recovered.

Braden

P.S. I just got to see the new sustainer he built. It's absolutely amazing!

Mark,is the BALLS Unlimited Bowling Ball Duration contest still on out west?
Who has the record so far?
What motor?

We have not done it in a long time. Record is 22 minutes, O 4000 something. We did 3 rockets on P motors but had no good recovery with long duration.
We got 11 minutes on an H motor/8lb ball at LDRS in TX. The ball on the chute was sgoing up for a while in a thermal.

Mark

Did it start to get crazy? like 16 or 20' man rated chutes on a 16 pound ball?

28'
With the 9" rockets we were using (ball is 8 1/2") the chute fits pretty easy. Drag it out with a drouge.
Recovery issues were no ejection, tangled line not letting chute open and good deployment but tubular nylon cut by sharp edge of nose cone.
The Bowling Ball lofting ran it's course and we are not doing it anymore

Mark

Will LDRS32 be a TRA research launch for the duration, or just part of the time? Or is that not yet known?

At this time the plan is Thursday and Friday will be commercial days Saturday-Monday will be research with away cells only on Sunday and Monday.

So, correct me if I am wrong..Black Rock is essentially out in the 'middle of nowhere' Nevada? Actually Black Rock Desert?

I wonder how many daysit would take to drive there. I live near savannah and google says 1 day 19 hours.

Last edited:
Back