What accelerometer to buy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Quigley

Reaction score
I'm looking at various accelerometers to add more stuff to fail on my Arduino, but one thing's been bugging me- How many Gs does the average MPR/low HPR flight see? I wanna get a 16G one, mainly because it has i2c like my Baro, so I can hook them all up on the same bus, but I can also get up to a 250G altimeter. Will 16 gs be good?

Rocksim will tell you. 70 Gs covers everything but Vmax or Warp-9 loads on small rockets, which can go over 100 Gs. 30 Gs covers most flights with typical propellants.

I'm looking at various accelerometers to add more stuff to fail on my Arduino, but one thing's been bugging me- How many Gs does the average MPR/low HPR flight see? I wanna get a 16G one, mainly because it has i2c like my Baro, so I can hook them all up on the same bus, but I can also get up to a 250G altimeter. Will 16 gs be good?

To add to what Adrian said, 25 to 30 g is probably a good range to find.
If you go from 30 g to 250 g your going to loose a ton of range. The lower the g rating, the better change rate your going to get... this means picking up a cleaner acceloration curve, and little more accuracy.

Mid power with an adruno board will have a hard time pushing 30 g's the smaller H motors would still have to be small and light to hit 30 g.

Most the time my flights are 15 to 20 g, but i have heavy stuff too....

Sparkfun has a breakout board for the ST-LIS331HH, which is the 24G x 3-axis accelerometer that the Jolly Logic AltimeterTwo uses, also via I2C.
Should high-Gs be more important than build complexity, you can align it cleverly (i.e. not orthagonally) and coax more effective Gs out of it in a particular direction--up to about 40Gs above gravity.

Breakout board: here
Article on angling for more Gs in a specific direction: here

--John

Last edited:
Back