Good L2 idea?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbert

Reaction score
Is this a good L2 certification idea?

LOC Precision PK-88 TWT Bruiser without dual deploy.

That rocket should be fat and tall enough that I can retrieve it without excessive walking on an J impulse motor.

Any suggestions or hints?

NAR L1 - EZI 65 / May 1, 2010
Nasa Houston Rocket Club

That would not have a long walk. I did mine with a pr broken arrow. I walked about 300 feet.

Is it a rocket that will make YOU happy, and meet the certification requirements?

If the answer to both is Yes, then it's a great certification idea

-Kevin

Is it a rocket that will make YOU happy, and meet the certification requirements?

If the answer to both is Yes, then it's a great certification idea

I agree with Kevin. I would put a larger motor mount. You could usebthisbfor a level iii with a small M also? You will need to talk to a tap and document it to their requirements also.

That is a big 'un!:rofl: But as Kevin says if YOU are happy with the choice and it 'fits the bill' then it is a good choice..

Personal opinion time: A bit pricey 'in my eyes'..Maybe a Binder Excel w/dual deploy with 54mm? Just a thought...Cause this was the rocket I used for my L2...

BTW, welcome to TRF! :D

I built the LOC Bruiser, I will cert on that or the Binder Excel (54mm MMT) - haven't decided which one yet. I wasn't able to make it to the cert launch today due to some issues, I'll try next weekend in Tampa.

If the weather is good (low wind), I'll try for my cert with a CTI 6XL J453 White - which should reach 2010ft. If I had built it lighter, it would have gone higher. I used 2 wraps of 5.8oz fiberglass, so the "stock" 10 pound kit is now ~15 pounds.

If its windy, I'll use the Binder Excel DD on a J350W.

They are both fun builds, I recommend them both. I think the quality of the Binder kits is a bit better than LOC. I also have a Binder JackHammer - sweet little rocket!

Regarding the Bruiser, I do think motor ejection would give you a better chance of a successful cert. Keep it simple! Then, after you get your cert, go wild!

Good luck!

And I was thinking that dual deploy was a requirement for L2 cert, but not for L1. Not sure about TRA though, as I did my cert with NAR.

Gerald

Dual deploy is not a requirement. I recommend it. I did not use it, but my rockets were heavy, low, and slow

I used my LOC IROC on a J350w. Apogee deployment was perfect and not too far a walk. Now I got me some CTI cases to stuff into it for even more fun :D
After I had my L2, then I started playing with dual deployment. A fun challenge.

Adrian

Last edited:
Back