Fade To Black "Standard Concept Pad"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the large model and it is high quality. Worth every dime.

Last edited:
I have one too and really like it. It's robust and simply designed. The one minor thing I'd mention is that the paint job on mine isn't holding up too well. It seems like some really low quality paint was used and it chips eaisly. One of these days I'm just going to get it sandblasted and powder coated.

mine chipped in spots. I touch it up with rustoleom high temp enamel.

I have the X-Treme.
The cg is a little high so for larger projects I use sand bags on the legs.

I have the X-Treme.
The cg is a little high so for larger projects I use sand bags on the legs.

This is what I would do and have seen others do. I have had a 75 lb rocket on it.

mine chipped in spots. I touch it up with rustoleom high temp enamel.

I also have one and love it. I have had the chipping paint problem but resprayed it with the same John Deere Yellow rustoleum that was used originally.

Since getting into high power and using rails I've switched all my heavier mid-power rockets with 1/4" lugs to 1010 rail buttons. No more rod whip. Therefore, the FTB pad fills an important spot on my flight line when I'm launching on my own. I set up two Estes LPR pads with 1/8" and 3/16" rods. Next to those is an AT Mantis with a 6' 1/4" rod. Then, my standard pad with a 1010 rail next to it. I can launch anything from a Mosquito to my Darkstar Jr. sans payload bay.

I carry mine in a surplus army duffel so it goes anywhere really.

You might be right, it might be john deer yellow.

They are on special right now..

Last edited:
I'm also thinking of investing in a Standard Concept Pads from Fade To Black.
This would mainly be used for MPR, and in the future possibly some small to mid-size HPR.
I want something that can easily handle a rail and be stable, and if need, also support standard rods.
Other than paint chipping appearing to be a problem with these, are there any other issues?
Also how small do these units fold down to for storage and transport?

I’m also considering making my own, such as using a Rockwell Jaw Stand for a base, like shown in another thread here.
However, I wanted to also inquire as to any other quality launch pads that maybe available for purchase.
Are there other pads available that are worth checking out?

You really can't go wrong buying one of these. It folds down about as far as you'd expect with the legs coming off. I sewed a canvas bag with a shoulder strap and it carries it nicely. The welding is nice and strong so even if you have to do a paint touc up sometime you'll have this thing forever.

I have drooled all over these HPR pads for some time and would like to get the standard HPR pad with 1010 rail.

Black is probably the best color to order as I like smoky motors.

I have a Standard and it fits easily in an army duffle (except for the 1010). It is easy to carry out to the field that way.

Back