Raython's new mini-missle could be a great scale project!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be perfect for a Quest kit. Probably have to get permission from Raytheon to sell a model.

That is awesom. Our military capability is getting scary good. I am very impressed with the future drone projects.

Yes, it would. I like the look of the inert one in the second picture down, here: https://defense-update.com/products/g/31122010_griffin_sgm.html
It does rather look like a Quest kit; this one in particular: https://www.questaerospace.com/Images/MLASPic003.jpg

For all you who want to build one, the file is attached. Keep in mind that it's pretty rough, as I didn't have much to work with. :) However, it should be fairly close to the correct proportions, as well as 1:1 scale. If the Raytheon lettering is 1/2", that puts it at about 3" dimeter (I used a mailing tube in the simulator) and just over 21" long. So, close enough-- for me anyway.
Here ya go! :)

View attachment Raytheon STM.ork

Kinda wish you guys would not post this stuff.You just added another to my "scratch" want to build list !

I like it !

Paul T

Reading about the drones in one of the above links and how the Marines were worried to fly the Raven in fear of damaging it. About the most fun I had in Iraq was nose diving a Raven off the top of a tall building outside of Baghdad. Straight into the ground and into a bunch of tiny pieces. Purely an accident, but interesting none the less.

According to the FAA there could be up to 30,000 drones flying over the U.S. within a decade, operated by various law enforcement and other government agencies. That's an average of 600 per state. Pretty soon you won't be able to spit on an ant hill without big brother knowing about it.

I hope they they don't freak out and shoot a mini-missile at me when they see me painting scale missiles in my driveway! :y: :tongue:

Im mostly against drones in the u.s. with a few specific carve-outs.

In another thread I posted a cartoon from This Modern World about "Droney.... the friendly drone" which was satirical. It holds true...

Im mostly against drones in the u.s. with a few specific carve-outs.

In another thread I posted a cartoon from This Modern World about "Droney.... the friendly drone" which was satirical. It holds true...

I think unarmed drones are ok. what is the difference between a plane or helicopter watching traffic and a drone. There is none.

They updated the link and are now calling this a bomb, not a missile.

I think unarmed drones are ok. what is the difference between a plane or helicopter watching traffic and a drone. There is none.

Watching traffic is one thing... peeping into your backyard or your house, that's something else...

How about putting these things up constantly over the border... that would certainly seem to put to rest the argument that they "can't" seal off the border... more like "they don't WANT to..."

Later! OL JR :)

Watching traffic is one thing... peeping into your backyard or your house, that's something else.)

I agree with you, and would say looking into your home should not be done without a warrant. I am not sure about the back yard. If it is visible from the street or you neighbors, then I thing you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

They already fly drones on our border. Seems silly to me. One company in the US was using a balloon mounted surveillance system for border security so 200 people from Sarnia dropped trow for the camera at the same time. Of course they did not fly the camera that day lol.
I think drones used for traffic monitoring or by the police are fine. I think they could also be useful for providing real time eyes on disasters. I also think they will be misused but cest last vie.
Cheers
Frex

I agree with you, and would say looking into your home should not be done without a warrant. I am not sure about the back yard. If it is visible from the street or you neighbors, then I thing you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

What if your backyard is a couple of acres and your neighbors are several hundreds of feet away. I could sit on my back porch and have my morning coffee buck naked if I wanted without worry of offending the neighbors. Now here comes uncle sams drone flying over and the next thing you know the sheriff is at my door to arrest me for lewd behavior. Totally hypothetical scenario BTW and I apologise for any disturbing visuals.

Why can't we have a reasonable expectation of privacy in our own backyards? Plenty of folks go to considerable trouble and expense to build privacy fences just to obtain some privacy from prying eyes. Now we have to worry about the prying eye in the sky as well? The government used to need to have a reasonable suspicion of wrong doing before it could invade your privacy but now it will do it randomly just because it can. Something about this just seems down right un-American.

Back