Paint and Spray Booth Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I'm starting this one because I want to see what's out there.

Mostly I'm talking about home made jobs but anything qualifies. Post what you have!

I have an airbrush booth in progress , or are you talking a large spray can setup ?

I have an airbrush booth in progress , or are you talking a large spray can setup ?

Personally, I'm talking about the large setups but anything qualifies for this thread.

I can't wait to see what people have. I am moving in next fall and my one request of my wife when she starts house hunting is a large workshop. I want a man cave.

I plan to put a painting tent / booth in it.

Shall I post a picture of my "booth," which consists of a flattened cardboard box and two try-fold display boards sitting next to my open garage door? :tongue:

Shall I post a picture of my "booth," which consists of a flattened cardboard box and two try-fold display boards sitting next to my open garage door? :tongue:

At this point, I would have to say YES!

I know there are some out there. Let's see them!

John:
I currently have 2 booths in my basement. a 3'x3x'7' and smaller 12" x 12" x 22.5" booth used for MMX & smaller 13 & 18mm models.

I also have a portable 12"x 12" x 18" .040" "My Answer to the Cardboard Box" folding alumium booth that usually goes with me on vacation. 6- 12" x 18" x .040" Aluminum Sign blanks, 2- 10" & 2- 16" Pieces of 2" Piano hinge and a few pop rivets are all the material needed for the little flat folding booth that has saved me a good bit by not painting picnic table tops while away LOL!!!

My basements booths have been in continuous use since the late 70's. They aren't what I'd call pretty but they are all very functional:) Exhaust is through 4" replaceable Dryer hose vented though a louvered door opening. both booths tie into the same central line with a Vent T. One or both can be used at the same time with this set-up.

The larger Booth was featured in a Model Rocketry Mag. Article a few years back. Drawings of it and my first "Apartment Booth" are shown below.

View attachment 2x2x4 sm booth_Tektp11a2 (44.3kb).pdf

D_Large Booth 4pic page_06-07-04.jpg

F-7_OD microBooth_6 pic Page(128dpi)_07-02-06.jpg

Last edited:
OK, you asked for it! Here is my "painting booth." :p It consists of two several year old ex-science fair projects, one of which was previously used as an air-gun target.
But hey, it works! And I've certainly got it in a well-ventilated area...
Painting Booth.jpg

OK, you asked for it! Here is my "painting booth." :p It consists of two several year old ex-science fair projects, one of which was previously used as an air-gun target.
But hey, it works! And I've certainly got it in a well-ventilated area...
View attachment 90808

Good idea. I may try that until I can get enough space for a large one.

IMG_0885-1_zps3h0uctf8.jpg
Personally, I'm talking about the large setups but anything qualifies for this thread.
This is the painting bay adjoining our workshop. The compressor is in the adjoining room, you see the compressor hose.

I have made a 10' x 10' x 8' "booth" out of plastic sheeting used typically as a drip cloth for house painting. I can paint some pretty big HP stuff in there. I have glued the plastic to 1x2x10' pine boards. When setup they hang down from the roof of my garage and I use clothes pins to close the corners. Light get in since the plastic is thin. Works well to protect the rest of the garage but I'm in there too and get covered in paint overspray. My first time I came out a rather odd shade of red (Rustoleum red, see rocket on the left of my avatar) and blew my nose and coughed red stuff for a couple days. Now I put on a Tyvek suit and charcoal-type mask. I'm sure some out there will say I need a full breathing rig. If I had the $$ I would.

I have made a 10' x 10' x 8' "booth" out of plastic sheeting used typically as a drip cloth for house painting. I can paint some pretty big HP stuff in there. I have glued the plastic to 1x2x10' pine boards. When setup they hang down from the roof of my garage and I use clothes pins to close the corners. Light get in since the plastic is thin. Works well to protect the rest of the garage but I'm in there too and get covered in paint overspray. My first time I came out a rather odd shade of red (Rustoleum red, see rocket on the left of my avatar) and blew my nose and coughed red stuff for a couple days. Now I put on a Tyvek suit and charcoal-type mask. I'm sure some out there will say I need a full breathing rig. If I had the $$ I would.
You could buy a box fan (or find one at a garage sale) and 2 HVAC filters. 1 filter could be attached to a cutout in your plasticsheet paint booth. Then attach the other one to the fan and make that output to a window or door. clean air coming in. and somewhat clean air going out. still recommend a mask no matter what.
BCAiuZ3.png

Here's part of my 8'x8'x10 Paint which I actually built to paint my kids bunk beds (3 beds of which any two can be stacked) but now its a rocket painting area. The draft is provided by two bathroom fans with cheap HVAC air filters to catch the over spray, eventually I will get around to venting it outside. The fans were salvaged from the recent re-roofing of our house, my wife wanted a larger vent fan in the bathroom so I removed the newer one that I had put in 6 years ago and I had saved the old one that I had taken out it drafts fairly well by the amount of overspray stuck to the filters. Today I moved the beds into their room for the first time, it only took me about 6months of spare time to build the three beds and about 3 hrs to build the spray booth, the plastic walls can be pulled up and secured to the rails with short HarborFreight bungee's. I have eye screws to put in on the upper rail. The plastic is secured by first stapling it to the booth frame then a 2x2 is screw over that trapping the plastic between the two pieces of wood making it quite strong, 3 walls are 6mil and the one the ladder is visible through is 3 mil (its what I had on hand).

PaintBoothShop.jpgKidsBunkBeds2.jpg

Back