New scratch build, Hanna & Nicole

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put notches in pieces of masking tape with a hole punch, to put on the tops and bottoms of the fins. I've found it looks better than leaving it square.

85_notch.jpg

86_notch.jpg

87_notch.jpg

95_mask.jpg

Got the fins painted pink and clear coated. I took a chance by spraying on the clear coat as soon as the pink had dried, but there were no problems.

88_pink.jpg

91_pink.jpg

92_pink.jpg

94_clear.jpg

Got the pink body tube clear coated. No problems taking the masking off, thank goodness. I had one small bleed, but it's nothing I can't live with. I must say, that's about the girliest rocket I've ever made!

90_clear.jpg

93_clear.jpg

97_nicole.jpg

98_bleed.jpg

I decided to redo it. But when I sprayed on the primer, this happened. I'm so frustrated.

105_crack.jpg

106_crack.jpg

107_crack.jpg

I decided to redo it. But when I sprayed on the primer, this happened. I'm so frustrated.
Paint over primer is one thing but primer over paint can be risky.

I'd probably have just touched up the paint with a brush. Spray a little paint into a Dixie cup, dip the brush into it and paint before it dries. You have to be quick, tho.

Are you using the 3M advanced/delicate surfaces masking tape?

Paint over primer is one thing but primer over paint can be risky.

I'd probably have just touched up the paint with a brush. Spray a little paint into a Dixie cup, dip the brush into it and paint before it dries. You have to be quick, tho.

Are you using the 3M advanced/delicate surfaces masking tape?

Yeah, I've had the same problem before, you'd think I'd learn. I've tried the spray-paint-in-a-cup trick before, but it didn't cover well. I'll wait a day or two, sand the heck out of it, and start over.

I was using regular 3M blue painter's tape. Next time I'll use delicate surface.

While I was waiting for the white paint to dry, I applied the decals.

114_nicole_decal.jpg

115_nicole_decal.jpg

116_nicole_decal.jpg

117_nicole_decal.jpg

118_nicole_decal.jpg

Hanna turned out great, too! I'm glad I decided to use the handwriting decals. They look really good and they'll be a lot more personal.

128_hanna_decal.jpg

129_hanna_decal.jpg

130_hanna_decal.jpg

131_hanna_decal.jpg

I'm using 5/32" poly cord for the shock cords, 12ft for each. I drilled 3/16" holes through the nose cones, and tied a loop through them. I attached the shock cords to the loops with bowline knots. I can finally tie a bowline!

132_cord.jpg

133_drill.jpg

134_cord.jpg

135_knot.jpg

137_bowline.jpg

I masked the lower section of the Hanna rocket, and resprayed the gloss black.

139_masked.jpg

140_black.jpg

141_black.jpg

142_black.jpg

UNREAL!!
And you keep going back for more.
I commend you for your deligence and commitment to get it right and become the Rembrandt of Rocketry.

Thank you for the kind words, Scotty. I'll never be a Rembrandt, but if I could only get a fairly consistent decent paint job...

I've used the 3M delicate surface tape before. But these are the absolute cleanest paint lines I've ever gotten! I sure wish I knew what I did, so I could repeat it.

142_mask.jpg

143_paint_lines.jpg

144_paint_lines.jpg

145_paint_lines.jpg

146_paint_lines.jpg

A couple more random outside photos. I also got the couplers epoxied in. I love what's on the TV in the background. LOL

152_fins.jpg

153_decals.jpg

154_couplers.jpg

They turned out great!

Hate to say this, tho...Shouldn't the base for the Nicole rocket be pink, too? LOL!

I was just thinking the same thing. (But I wasn't going to say it...)

Also, those rockets look great. :)

They turned out great!

Hate to say this, tho...Shouldn't the base for the Nicole rocket be pink, too? LOL!

I was just thinking the same thing. (But I wasn't going to say it...)

Also, those rockets look great. :)

I never even thought about it. I painted them both flat black so they wouldn't stand out. I wish you had said something sooner!

Today will be the unveiling. I hope they're as excited as I am!

hanna1.jpg

nicole1.jpg

very nice job
I do wonder why you are not showing those $1886 pearly whites?

I almost didn't recognize Hanna without her knee boots and hoodie.

Looks like both ladies were pleased with their rockets.

I bet you still have to get your own coffee, tho.

Latest posts

Back