Estes - Teros (KL-5 or #1105) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Fitton

Reaction score
I made this Teros clone this past winter from Semroc components. I liked the original when I was a kid and figured why not make a new one. I learned a bit along the way, like checking the scaling factor of the fin template I printed out online(!) Even though the fins were grossly oversize I was not paying attention until after I glued them on and realized they were big. I was too lazy to cut them off and start over.

Other adversity took the form of a new mailman who lost my decal set from Excelsior, along with just about every other important piece of mail for nearly two months until the Post Office got rid of him. I ended up printing some simple decals off of the inkjet and using them instead. I'll probably do another Teros in the future with the correct fins and decals, but I'll have fun flying this one as well.

We have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to supplies to clone models of this type, and I enjoyed bringing a Teros back into existence again.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• 5 july 2012 019.jpg
    5 july 2012 019.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 5 july 2012 020.jpg
    5 july 2012 020.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes Teros (KL-5 or #1105) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Teros (KL-5 or #1105) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Teros: KL-5 or #1105
Estes: Teros: #1285

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Teros (KL-5 or #1105) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Teros Also known as:

NUMBER: KL-5 or #1105

Introduced: 1972
Final Year: 1973
Designer: Mark Kellner

Type: Pseudo-Scale
Motor Mount: Coldpower
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 13"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 2.01 oz (With Engine)

Mfg. Description: Authentic anti-aircraft missile styling. Scramjet design. U.S.A.F. decor. Ramjet nose. Fun sports model. Parachute recovery. (Estes 1973 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-teros%20kl5-1973%20cat.jpg
1973 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Teros (#1285) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Teros Also known as:

NUMBER: #1285

Introduced: 1977
Final Year: 1982
Designer:

Type: Pseudo-Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 13"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 1.2 oz

Mfg. Description: Authentic anti-aircraft missile styling with U.S.A.F. decor. Exciting scramjet design with ram-jet nose. Super sports model with 12" parachute recovery, die-cut balsa fins and quick release engine mount. (Estes 1977 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-teros%201285-1977%20cat.jpg
1977 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-teros%201285-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-teros%201285-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Interesting that the catalog picture was orange and white for the paint work. When I built my kit Teros circa 1984 or so, I did orange and white. When I built the clone somehow I had gotten in my head the idea that the paint was supposed to be red instead of orange.

Interesting that the catalog picture was orange and white for the paint work. When I built my kit Teros circa 1984 or so, I did orange and white. When I built the clone somehow I had gotten in my head the idea that the paint was supposed to be red instead of orange.

I think it looks good. Orange is probably my least favorite color. I think it comes from having been a Texas Aggie (our rivals were orange and white).

Taking another look, the original Teros, the coldpower (KL-5) version, does look more red in its catalog pic.

I'm thinking making of a 2X uspscale.
I found this color reference on page 5 -
https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/est1285.pdf

Teros Paint.jpg

The instructions say it's red.
But in the end, it's really your choice.

Here's a Teros clone that I just finished:

WP_003347.jpgWP_003349.jpgWP_003350.jpgWP_003355.jpg

Better pictures to follow. As may a BT70-sized upscale if I can sort out the nose cone readily enough...

Here's my upscaled Teros built last October.
The Ramjet nose cone is plastic, made from a champagne glass flute from the Dollar Tree store.
$1.00 for two!
It a very close fit to the Quest 50mm tubing.
The fins were scaled down slightly, I always thought they were a little too large for the model.
The build is on the my blog at:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/E Teros

Teros 45.jpg Teros 47.jpg

Finally launched it this last Saturday at the N.E.F.A.R. monthly at Bunnell, Florida.
Very stable with a D12-5.

Launch C Teros NEFAR 8.8.2015.jpg

This is probably a little off topic but I am pretty sure that New Way is about to bring out their (square) version of the Teros, called the Squareros. I am a huge fan of their kits ! Quality components, great instructions, very complete (nobody else gives you sandpaper and a snap swivel), tough birds that fly great. Their website, www.newwayspacemodels. com, is a little outdated but they can be contacted by e-mail from there. The owner, Mr. Randol, is a great guy. Apogee Components and eRockets.biz are dealers for their kits, but the new offering hasn't shown up yet.

Last edited:
This is probably a little off topic but I am pretty sure that New Way is about to bring out their (square) version of the Teros, called the Squareros. I am a huge fan of their kits ! Quality components, great instructions, very complete (nobody else gives you sandpaper and a snap swivel), tough birds that fly great. Their website, www.newwayspacemodels. com, is a little outdated but they can be contacted by e-mail from there. The owner, Mr. Randol, is a great guy. Apogee Components and eRockets.biz are dealers for their kits, but the new offering hasn't shown up yet.

Just got mine in an order from eRockets two days ago. They're out. I ordered as soon as I noticed it existed. The Teros was one of my faves from my Youth and I've been fascinated by the Newway kits since I became a BAR. Couldn't resist!

Thanks for pointing that out. I ordered my Squareros this morning. I had to order some stuff from eRockets anyway...

Back