Deployment bags

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
How do you pack a deployment bag? At least, that's what I think the small canvas bags are that came with my parachute. Also how do you fold a parachute?

Are you talking about the military surplus chutes with the fiberglass lines? They are deployment bags, but they're not typical and not really used the same way most bags are because they don't deal with the shroud lines. I tend to fold my chutes the same way or a variant of what Fruity Chutes does. For large chutes I follow their instructions, but for smaller ones I fold all of the gores on one side of the seam.

They are the ones that I got off the most recent yard sale with chutes. Can you post a link to how to fold a chute?

https://fruitychutes.com/how_to_pack_a_parachute.htm
For the larger chutes like what they show, I do what they say and put half of the panels on one side and half on the other. However, I find that for smaller chutes, or at least ones with fewer gores than Fruity Chutes tend to have, putting all of the gores on one side before z-folding and rolling yields a more compact pack. Maybe I'll make a video sometime...

Each chute maker has a recommended method to fold their chute. The same is true for deployment bags.

How do you pack a deployment bag? At least, that's what I think the small canvas bags are that came with my parachute. Also how do you fold a parachute?

Post a pic of your parachute -- I suspect you've got some military surplus parachutes, and packing them back into those little tiny canvas bags is an art.

-Kevin

blackbrandt said:
I dont know how to post pics.

When you write a message, there is a toolbar at the top of the editor window. Over on the right, near the filmstrip icon is a picture icon. Click that.

Back