Lacquer paint over Krylon Primer??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so I've done my research. I know that it is risky to put lacquer paint over enamel. What I can't figure out is whether Krylon Primer (or Rustoleum for that matter) is Enamel or not? I ended up doing this (Testors One Coat Lacquer over Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer) with fear and trepidation (I had already put the Krylon Primer on before I went to the store and found the only color I liked was a lacquer.) After reading other posts here, it said you MAY get away with it IF you spray on multiple very light coats--- which I did and came out well.)

So did I "get away with something", or are the Krylon and Rustoleum stand primers okay for prep for both enamels and lacquers?

The Rustoleum grey filler primer I use (in the auto aisle) works fine under lacquers.

The Rustoleum "Clean Metal" primer does not work under lacquers, at least not reliably. I've had it crinkle like crazy. I've banned it from my rocket shop.

I also use the Valspar white interior exterior primer, which works fine but I hate the new twist lock nozzle.

I have occasionally used the Krylon white primer without incident under lacquer, but I find it doesn't cover well so I don't use it anymore. It dries fast, though...

Grey Rustoleum filler primer is all I use. Prime, sand and paint. Works great every time.

I use Krylon primer on everything, and have covered it with everything - never had an issue. Just have to make sure you give it enough time to dry.

Sorry for thread digging - but before I paint my rocket tomorrow.

1st coat is lacquer Dupli Color filler primer, next coat is Krylon, (please tell me if this is lacquer, oil, or enamel) then next coat will be Rustoleum 2X Paint, I hope it is enamel since it can be used over lacquers.

If someone could tell me what these are I would greatly appreciate it, I don't want another crinkling mess.

I've heard that Krylon is now "hotter" (as in having more solvents) since being reformulated. My last experience with it was pretty unsatisfactory. I painted my Jayhawk's nosecone, allowed it to dry the prescribed time (24 hours) and then left it on my bed while I was in school for the day. When I got home the nosecone was fused to the bed spread, and when I got it off, the weave of the bedspread was clearly visible in the paint. Since then, I've never used it.

My recommendation, if you must go with Krylon, make sure that you give it the sniff test before doing anything (even touching it) to it.

Last edited:
Like any enamel paint, it will actually take weeks to cure and fully harden. I have had a similar problem in which I painted a rocket with enamel and then took it to a launch several days later. It was wrapped in a blanket and the weave of the blanket fabric became impressed into the paint in a few spots. I was able to polish it out.

Okay, all good information, thanks. Will be waiting a day in between coats as the label insists, should I wait a week before I mask a area off for a different paint color?

Okay, all good information, thanks. Will be waiting a day in between coats as the label insists, should I wait a week before I mask a area off for a different paint color?

I'd wait a week or longer... If you can smell fumes... wait.

For masking, I often spray a piece of scrap wood as I am painting the project. I'll do the paint layup on the wood the same as I am doing on the project so that I can use it to test the cure on the paint prior to masking. This way, I am able to check the durability of the finish without messing up the paint job on the rocket.

It's funny, I stayed away from Krylon after painting my first rocket with it, because I'd heard that a lot of people had issues with it. So I switched to Rusto 2X. The Rusto usually works well for me, but sometimes I get a really rough, spikey texture, which some people have since told me happens, especially with new cans.

But I've actually never had much problem with Krylon. Of the two rockets I've painted recently, the Krylon came out great, and the Rusto was so bad I had to sand it and now have to repaint it with a new can, which hopefully won't give me the same problems.

Here's the rocket I did with Krylon:

DSCN2192.jpg

DSCN2193.jpg

DSCN2196.jpg

Maybe my best paint job.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the Rusto rocket before I sanded it.

I have a feeling they're both fine paints, but like any rattle cans, you sometimes get a bad batch.

Only used Dupli Color one time, but it turned out great.

It's funny, I stayed away from Krylon after painting my first rocket with it, because I'd heard that a lot of people had issues with it. So I switched to Rusto 2X. The Rusto usually works well for me, but sometimes I get a really rough, spikey texture, which some people have since told me happens, especially with new cans.

But I've actually never had much problem with Krylon. Of the two rockets I've painted recently, the Krylon came out great, and the Rusto was so bad I had to sand it and now have to repaint it with a new can, which hopefully won't give me the same problems.

Here's the rocket I did with Krylon:

View attachment 285709

View attachment 285710

View attachment 285711

Maybe my best paint job.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the Rusto rocket before I sanded it.

I have a feeling they're both fine paints, but like any rattle cans, you sometimes get a bad batch.

Only used Dupli Color one time, but it turned out great.

Wow, that looks great. I may just do my next rocket with Krylon. May I ask what angle you painted this at?

Last edited:
Wow, that looks great. I may just do my next rocket with Krylon. May I ask what angle you painted this at?

Thank you!

What angle? Gosh, I'd never thought about that.

I pretty much spray straight on. I hold the rocket straight out and do the trailing edges first, then the tips and the leading edges, then turn the rocket sideways and do all the faces of the fins.

Then I start at the top of the rocket and do a quick light coat all the way down the body tube, holding the rocket horizontally. Sometimes I put the rocket on a stand, which is basically a vertical painting wand stuck in a lazy Susan, in which case I go from top to bottom.

I also used a homemade indoor spray painting booth for the first time on this rocket, which I think helped.

The Krylon did spit a few minor flaws onto the rocket here and there - single bumps which I wet sanded off with 2000 grit wet/dry paper, then polished with Turtle Wax polishing compound, followed by some car wax of some brand or other.

Anyone use something else than rattle cans and use in a air brush?

I have an old badger air brush from my youth scale modeling days.

One thing to remember. Late 70's, early 80's, Chromates were removed from laquers due to the EPA. Meaning 2 things.
1) No longer a water barrier on metals (Not rocket related)
2) It breaks down fast when exposed to UV light, even when clear coated.
Car manufactures switched to baked on enamels, until the today's base coat/clear coats were developed to deal with toxic atmospherics.
Well cured enamels can be primed over with laquer when using 600 or finer grit and mist coats.
We had many problems dealing with lifting on the baked on enamels as sealers before priming hadn't been developed yet.
Spray bombs are one of those things that change from color to color, brand to brand.
Krylon will lift itself if you wait too long between coats without sanding.
Some enamels will lift laquer primers.
Experience is the best teacher.
Best thing to do (like I do) I keep a build sheet of what I used as far as glues, procedures, sanding grits, Paints, etc for each rocket.
I also keep a seperate book what problem(s) (or not) with what on what, waiting time between coats, sanding grits, dry time, etc.
Makes it nice to refer to so you don't make a mistake you made once before.
Best of luck.

Sorry for thread digging - but before I paint my rocket tomorrow.

1st coat is lacquer Dupli Color filler primer, next coat is Krylon, (please tell me if this is lacquer, oil, or enamel) then next coat will be Rustoleum 2X Paint, I hope it is enamel since it can be used over lacquers.

If someone could tell me what these are I would greatly appreciate it, I don't want another crinkling mess.

Back