Since I have the day off the 4th and I hope with pay I decided to work on my FAT BOY. I started this not long ago, but wanted to finish up some other projects before diving back into it. Picture are the fins cut from 1/8" balsa. I just coated them with CA and waiting for them to dry so I can sand them. Never used this technique before so I thought I would try it on this build. I might come back over them "lightly" with some FnF to fill in any imperfections, but I don't know if it is really necessary. Any feed back on this would be great.
As you can see the body tube is actually 10" not 8". I had some tubing left over and didn't want to waste so I decided to extend the length slightly. This also gives me more room for the laundry and I mounted a 3.75" engine tube to accept "E" motors (LOC). The center rings are 1/8" lite ply that Bill @ BMS cut for me. He does excellent work! I also reinforced the aft portion of the body tube with a tube coupler and used CA on exposed edges including the motor mount tube.
The nose cone's seams were filled with squadron green putty, which has been drying for a few days. I need to sand it, but see no rush. The stuff sands like butter and produces some nice results.
I also used a Kevlar shock cord and eye screw to fasten it the forward center ring.
Recovery will be an 18" Topflight chute. Should bring it down nicely.
I'll probably post more pictures as the build continues, but nothing in detail.