4Es

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fun. I can't see it too clearly on my phone, how much nose weight are you needing? You may want to add some space for a tracker, too!

Looks fun. I can't see it too clearly on my phone, how much nose weight are you needing? You may want to add some space for a tracker, too!

No nose weight reqiuired as long as the Altimeter 2 is in the payload section.

not to shabby...you're losing performance with 4 stages though, you might give this a glance :).
rex

Yes, but in this case 4 stages is the performance. I've already simmed a Commanche 3E, 4E and 5E, from the sublime to the ridiculous. :p

Nice.. that much altitude that small...I'm not going after it:)

I hear that! I may build it and launch it but I will have to get someone with younger eyes and legs to track it and chase it.

Rack rocket! I built several D12-D12-D12-E9-6 and they fly great.

I've built and launched a couple 4D discreet staged rockets in the past. They have worked fine as long as they are not launched in too high of a wind. I've never built a rack rocket but I've studied on them a bit.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but wasn't there a thread a while ago in which it was determined that the propellant weight of 4 black powder E engines was enough to qualify it as a high-power rocket? (Here it is: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?33154-Big-Daddy-Cluster) The NAR safety code states that the rocket may not contain more than 125g of propellant. I know it seems nitpicky to complain about a few grams of propellant, but I'm pretty sure you would have to be L1 certified to fly it. :(
But, if you are certified, no problem! :)

I believe this is true... I wonder if you can L1 on a rocket like this... haha

Have fun tracking the bugger! And really hope it goes up straight. If that thing cants a little bit to the side, it's GONE

You are a steely eyed rocket man for sure Jeff!

Andrew

LOL, It's easy to build and fly a rocket in a sim. On the other hand I just got some E12-0s so I guess some sort of staged E rocket is going to be built. First I should probably finish some of the other builds I have going.

LOL, It's easy to build and fly a rocket in a sim. On the other hand I just got some E12-0s so I guess some sort of staged E rocket is going to be built. First I should probably finish some of the other builds I have going.

That is something you would really want to fly out at Shiner.

Andrew

I have a 3 stage E rocket, and it has about the same projected apogee. I think you might be loosing altitude by adding the 4th. (Not sure how that works, but here is my projected apogee. I had another user help me out with this btw.)
projected.jpg

I have a 3 stage E rocket, and it has about the same projected apogee. I think you might be loosing altitude by adding the 4th. (Not sure how that works, but here is my projected apogee. I had another user help me out with this btw.)
View attachment 89330

Yeah, with four or five stages it isn't about the altitude, it's about getting off the rod. LOL, Woooosh PoP, repeat...:horse:

Yeah, with four or five stages it isn't about the altitude, it's about getting off the rod. LOL, Woooosh PoP, repeat...:horse:

Love the WOOSH POP, it's our club newsletter.:D

I just read the April-June issue and had a look around your web page. That's a great club you guys have there. :cheers:

It is an awesome organization, full of great and diverse minds. Anyone around here that's not involved is missing out!

Did you make it out there Andrew?? Sorry I couldn't be there with you guys! Later! OL JR :)

Twice. If the high power guys hadn't been so, IF IT AIN'T HIGH POWER IT AIN'T WORTH FLYING, to the land owner, it would be great for just about any size. As it is it is a great field for G's. I have flown all my G's out there so far.

The land owner is a really great guy. Love to fly and wants as many children to be involved as possible.

Andrew

Just picked up a couple packs of E12-0's. Time for a new rack rocket :grin:

Twice. If the high power guys hadn't been so, IF IT AIN'T HIGH POWER IT AIN'T WORTH FLYING, to the land owner, it would be great for just about any size. As it is it is a great field for G's. I have flown all my G's out there so far.

The land owner is a really great guy. Love to fly and wants as many children to be involved as possible.

Andrew

Thanks... :)

It's not that I hold some sort of grudge against HPR folks, though I DON'T like the "prevailing attitude" that seems to radiate from a lot of HPR afficianadoes... I've just seen enough DANGEROUS stuff happen during HPR activities that as a landowner, I don't want the liability for having it on the place. I've discussed things with my folks who actually own the place, and they DEFINITELY don't want HPR on the place. Sorry but that's just how it is and how it's gonna be, AFAIC... It's just as simple as that. Insurance or no insurance I just don't want to take the risk.

I gave some advice to Art about approaching farmers and ranch landowners about finding a HPR field, or any rocket field for that matter. Hopefully that'll work out and be of some benefit.

The kids are fun... and they're the future... so sure, the more the merrier... :)

Later! OL JR :)

Thanks... :)

It's not that I hold some sort of grudge against HPR folks, though I DON'T like the "prevailing attitude" that seems to radiate from a lot of HPR afficianadoes... I've just seen enough DANGEROUS stuff happen during HPR activities that as a landowner, I don't want the liability for having it on the place. I've discussed things with my folks who actually own the place, and they DEFINITELY don't want HPR on the place. Sorry but that's just how it is and how it's gonna be, AFAIC... It's just as simple as that. Insurance or no insurance I just don't want to take the risk.

I gave some advice to Art about approaching farmers and ranch landowners about finding a HPR field, or any rocket field for that matter. Hopefully that'll work out and be of some benefit.

The kids are fun... and they're the future... so sure, the more the merrier... :)

I'm with you. Some of these High Power folks ain't go the sense God gave geese.

Andrew

I enjoyed the Shiner launch very much. It was nice to have some "leg room" for a change. The ranch is an awesome place for class one stuff and I seldom put up anything larger than an F anyways.

The majority of Tripoli members have plenty of sense with safety as the number one consideration governing their activities. However stuff can go wrong with any sized rocket and the bigger the rocket the bigger the hazard it can pose. I completely understand any landowner who doesn't want to take such risks on their property.

JR I am very grateful to you and your folks for making the ranch available for these LPR launches. I hope to meet you at one of them in the future.

I enjoyed the Shiner launch very much. It was nice to have some "leg room" for a change. The ranch is an awesome place for class one stuff and I seldom put up anything larger than an F anyways.

The majority of Tripoli members have plenty of sense with safety as the number one consideration governing their activities. However stuff can go wrong with any sized rocket and the bigger the rocket the bigger the hazard it can pose. I completely understand any landowner who doesn't want to take such risks on their property.

JR I am very grateful to you and your folks for making the ranch available for these LPR launches. I hope to meet you at one of them in the future.

Yep, glad you enjoyed it! I mowed the top of the hill to help a bit with recovery (if it was further out than 100 yards you were on your own...LOL:) As it was the folks were hounding me wanting to go home that day when I was up there cutting the weeds). Hopefully things will (slowly) keep getting better, as I've already poisoned many of the "trash" trees toward the back and with some luck, they'll be ready to start knocking down and pushing into piles by next year. We've already grubbed out some smaller trash trees toward the front, and we're slowly wiping out the old fencelines that were falling down anyway. That should really open things up even more. Sadly many of the neighbors seem to have contented themselves to allowing the mesquite and huisache to take over-- BIG mistake... what you can kill today with a little Remedy and Diesel fuel mixed 20-25% concentrate and sprayed on the bottom foot or so of bark of the brush will, in just a few years, require a dozer and root plowing (costing thousands to tens of thousands of bucks!) and STILL have to chemically control the brush that comes up afterwards from seed and root pieces! What a mess! The brushier the land is, the bigger the problem with wild hogs as well... like we need any more of THOSE stupid things, and of course it hurts the pasture productivity and animal carrying capacity of the land, as well as making it unsuitable for rocket activities of any type or kind... LOL:) Keeping the brush under the control is an ongoing effort (read "war") that requires SOME work every year... trying to "go cheap" and ignore the problem just buys you more expense later on...

I sadly have to agree with a lot of what Cooper was saying above. Well, I agree that SOME folks have good sense and are safety conscious... I've seen plenty of folks that WEREN'T as well, and quite a few of them were card carrying Tripoli folks... Carrying a Tripoli card doesn't make one any more instantly safety conscious or virtuous than carrying a driver's license insures one won't drive drunk or recklessly or do other stupid or illegal stuff... same thing with any "license"... I've known farmers sitting on the county committee enforcing the pesticide licensing rules on the rest of the farm community, guys with college educations in ag, do some INCREDIBLY stupid and immoral stuff, if not outright illegal... "just because they can". IMHO I've SEEN (firsthand!) a LOT of stupid stuff go on and I've seen folks get such an "elitist" attitude because they carry a certain organizations certification, license, classification, or level, that they tend to get a swelled head and start to act like "rules are for other people" and don't apply to THEM (like the aforementioned farmer that dumped cotton poison out of his sprayer on the pavement in front of his shop, letting it run off the concrete onto the grass not 25 feet from his water well... yet he's IN CHARGE of making sure "everybody else" "does it right".... maybe not illegal but STILL monumentally stupid! It's human nature.

I guess I've just learned to respect power more than some folks... you go to a farm show and you'll see scads of guys walking around missing digits, missing limbs, or seriously maimed by equipment. Accidents happen, but many of them are due to simple carelessness and lack of respect for the power of things right in front of you. I know I've had a few near misses, and l learned from each one of them... I haven't made it thus far through life with ten fingers and ten toes (despite the scars all over my hands and a few on my feet) by being careless or disrespecting the power in front of me... When you start talking about a rocket going twice as high, weighing four times as much, powered by a motor(s) up to dozens of times more powerful than a "model rocket" per the NARSC and FAR 101 definition of "class one rocket", you start talking about the difference between a BB gun and a 30.06 in terms of energy potentials... Yeah folks get hurt with BB guns all the time... but a 30.06 will do a LOT more damage! I've seen my share of accidents and screw-ups with LPR... and I've seen TOO MANY with HPR, where "luck" was the primary reason that it was not a bad accident, and the attitude seems to be "no harm, no foul, everythings cool-- go about your business".

"No harm, no foul" is NOT a safety program... NASA tried that and lost two shuttles and 14 astronauts...

Yep, glad you enjoyed it! I mowed the top of the hill to help a bit with recovery (if it was further out than 100 yards you were on your own...LOL:) As it was the folks were hounding me wanting to go home that day when I was up there cutting the weeds). Hopefully things will (slowly) keep getting better, as I've already poisoned many of the "trash" trees toward the back and with some luck, they'll be ready to start knocking down and pushing into piles by next year. We've already grubbed out some smaller trash trees toward the front, and we're slowly wiping out the old fencelines that were falling down anyway. That should really open things up even more. Sadly many of the neighbors seem to have contented themselves to allowing the mesquite and huisache to take over-- BIG mistake... what you can kill today with a little Remedy and Diesel fuel mixed 20-25% concentrate and sprayed on the bottom foot or so of bark of the brush will, in just a few years, require a dozer and root plowing (costing thousands to tens of thousands of bucks!) and STILL have to chemically control the brush that comes up afterwards from seed and root pieces! What a mess! The brushier the land is, the bigger the problem with wild hogs as well... like we need any more of THOSE stupid things, and of course it hurts the pasture productivity and animal carrying capacity of the land, as well as making it unsuitable for rocket activities of any type or kind... LOL:) Keeping the brush under the control is an ongoing effort (read "war") that requires SOME work every year... trying to "go cheap" and ignore the problem just buys you more expense later on...

I sadly have to agree with a lot of what Cooper was saying above. Well, I agree that SOME folks have good sense and are safety conscious... I've seen plenty of folks that WEREN'T as well, and quite a few of them were card carrying Tripoli folks... Carrying a Tripoli card doesn't make one any more instantly safety conscious or virtuous than carrying a driver's license insures one won't drive drunk or recklessly or do other stupid or illegal stuff... same thing with any "license"... I've known farmers sitting on the county committee enforcing the pesticide licensing rules on the rest of the farm community, guys with college educations in ag, do some INCREDIBLY stupid and immoral stuff, if not outright illegal... "just because they can". IMHO I've SEEN (firsthand!) a LOT of stupid stuff go on and I've seen folks get such an "elitist" attitude because they carry a certain organizations certification, license, classification, or level, that they tend to get a swelled head and start to act like "rules are for other people" and don't apply to THEM (like the aforementioned farmer that dumped cotton poison out of his sprayer on the pavement in front of his shop, letting it run off the concrete onto the grass not 25 feet from his water well... yet he's IN CHARGE of making sure "everybody else" "does it right".... maybe not illegal but STILL monumentally stupid! It's human nature.

I guess I've just learned to respect power more than some folks... you go to a farm show and you'll see scads of guys walking around missing digits, missing limbs, or seriously maimed by equipment. Accidents happen, but many of them are due to simple carelessness and lack of respect for the power of things right in front of you. I know I've had a few near misses, and l learned from each one of them... I haven't made it thus far through life with ten fingers and ten toes (despite the scars all over my hands and a few on my feet) by being careless or disrespecting the power in front of me... When you start talking about a rocket going twice as high, weighing four times as much, powered by a motor(s) up to dozens of times more powerful than a "model rocket" per the NARSC and FAR 101 definition of "class one rocket", you start talking about the difference between a BB gun and a 30.06 in terms of energy potentials... Yeah folks get hurt with BB guns all the time... but a 30.06 will do a LOT more damage! I've seen my share of accidents and screw-ups with LPR... and I've seen TOO MANY with HPR, where "luck" was the primary reason that it was not a bad accident, and the attitude seems to be "no harm, no foul, everythings cool-- go about your business".

"No harm, no foul" is NOT a safety program... NASA tried that and lost two shuttles and 14 astronauts...

I know a few level one guys, and a couple of level two guys, that I would trust with my son's life. But I know more with the what I call the high power god syndrome. I would not trust them as far as I could throw them.

I have also found that the good high power guys are overly cautious come safety.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back