Single Scoupe Stable, Double Scoupe not so much

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure with these funky off center cylindrical slanted ring fins this rocket is simulatable anyway.

In any case, the Single Scoupe is a beautiful flyer on a Quest A6-4. Double Scoupe with C6-0 to A8-3 was a bit more, well, entertaining.

If I mark the CG for Single Scoupe (fully loaded with A6-4)

and then add the booster stage with C6-0, then add enough nose weight to bring the CG forward to the same as the stable Single Scoupe, should this two stage then be stable?

DoubleScoupe.jpg

DoubleScoupeSide.jpg

Single Scoupe.jpg

SingleScoupeSide.jpg

So long as the CG is in the same place, yes, it should be stable. The extra fin on the booster will actually make it a little overstable- which is exactly the problem you might have with the sustainer. If it has enough nose weight to keep the CG stationary after adding the weight of the booster, the sustainer could weathercock severely. I would recommend putting the CG with the booster a little behind the CG without the booster, though without knowing the effect the booster fin has on the CP, you want to err well on the side of caution.
Of course, even if the sustainer does weathercock severely, it may not be a problem if you have enough altitude. When I flew my scratch-built two-stager, the sustainer was traveling horizontally a second or two after staging, but it recovered perfectly because it had traveled high enough on just the first stage.
Good luck! :)

The rocket is being stabilised by one tube fin. What effect will doubling the length of that tube fin have on the CP? As I understand it, tube fins may become less efficient if they are longer.

The rocket is being stabilised by one tube fin. What effect will doubling the length of that tube fin have on the CP? As I understand it, tube fins may become less efficient if they are longer.

That's a very good point. I had forgotten about that, and was relying on my knowledge of "regular" fins. :)
However, I think if you keep the CG constant, you might still be okay. As Uncle Vanya said in this post, (assuming he is correct) a tube fin is effective until it reaches the point where the length is three times the diameter. However, I don't know if it becomes less effective as it becomes longer, in which case keeping the CG constant may not be enough to ensure that it is stable.

My concern is that the booster stage may not tumble or glide slowly after separation. You could probably trim it to glide reasonably.

OK, ready for this??? If you build the booster stage 90 degrees off from the sustainer, it'll work. Right now you're trying to work with the look, and have the two sets of fins line up, which looks great, but the tube fin becomes too long to be effective, but if you rotate the lower stage to be 90 degress off, the two sets of fins work together and will make it stable (although less pleasing to the eye).

OK, ready for this??? If you build the booster stage 90 degrees off from the sustainer, it'll work. Right now you're trying to work with the look, and have the two sets of fins line up, which looks great, but the tube fin becomes too long to be effective, but if you rotate the lower stage to be 90 degress off, the two sets of fins work together and will make it stable (although less pleasing to the eye).
Actually, the two stage works great as pictured.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...n-glider-and-new-gyskelion.38883/#post-362599
See post 4

booster tumble recovers nicely. Even did it with a far longer sustainer which recovered by Back Slide.

It’s a surprisingly easy build. Balsa free!

And this guy actually flew (with a conventional tail)

That took some guts! I'm not sure I'd put my life on the line taking that into the air. For a model, it's all about "can it be done?" Practicality doesn't matter. For piloted aircraft, I guess people do things to get into the record books, like the worlds smallest manned plane and manned jet, but this design wouldn't break any records.

Drag too one sided, too asymmetrical, pushing the envelope too far?
I've done several of these, including the most recent NAR, flown as single and two stage. The always turn in a NET straight trajectory, although a variable amound of corkscrewing. DEFINITELY not good VideoCam birds. But they are reliable fliers, haven't had one go unstable yet.

Symmetry is FAR over-rated, much more important is ALIGNMENT. And perfect alignment is pretty easy to achieve in these., line up a straight line on the inside tube with a straight line on the outside tube and you're golden.

I have to admit, I was surprised when the two stage flew well, but it did.

this one might encourage @lakeroadster that his plan for post 11 is do-able.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/spirit-of-america-or-does-1-3fnc-3ncf-3-engine-cluster.153732/

Does anyone know where I can get the wing pivot plans for the scissor wing transport?
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1265.pdf
also has been rereleased

https://jonrocket.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7695
there are other sources, can’t recall what company did the redo but someone will chime in.

in any case, I think there are at least two threads in last year of the build of the rerelease Which may help you, apparently it is a bit twicky.

Neat bird.... I'll add it to the build list.

Something you will like about the recovery, this bird will never land directly on the fin or ring. It will fall either straight tail first or if sideways with the ring and fin UP.

It‘s a nice feature for asymmetric fin models. The cost (or bonus, if you like the entertainment value) is they tend to corkscrew a bit on the way up. I think it’s kind of fun, but I may be a minority in that regard.

Back