Raven screw switch wire attaching

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm going to put a Raven screw switch in my dual deploy rocket to replace the slide switch it came with. My main question is do you solder the wires to the switch directly? You must have to use a low power soldering iron and small dia solder, yes? I suppose I could bolt the wires to the larger holes, but I think that unless you use ring terminals, the chance for shorts would be very high. My other thought is just solder the wires to the bigger holes (but I would still need low power soldering iron and small dia solder) and hot glue the switch into the airframe hole.
Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms?

Adrian

Howdy all,

I'm going to put a Raven screw switch in my dual deploy rocket to replace the slide switch it came with. My main question is do you solder the wires to the switch directly? You must have to use a low power soldering iron and small dia solder, yes? I suppose I could bolt the wires to the larger holes, but I think that unless you use ring terminals, the chance for shorts would be very high. My other thought is just solder the wires to the bigger holes (but I would still need low power soldering iron and small dia solder) and hot glue the switch into the airframe hole.
Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms?

Adrian

The wires can be connected either by clamping them under the mounting screws, or by soldering. The small holes adjacent to the mounting holes can help position the wires for either method.

The biggest key to having a good experience with these switches is to put them as close to the exterior hole as possible. 1/8" away is great, 1/4" away is o.k., and 1/2" or more and you'll be swearing at it. A great way to mount these switches close to the surface is by embedding them sideways in the edge of your sled. If you have 1/4" plywood, they'll screw nicely into the edge.

The wires can be connected either by clamping them under the mounting screws, or by soldering.
I've had good luck in small-diameter rockets with mounting the screw switch to a sled with nylon standoffs and clamping the wires under screws into the standoffs. Crimped-on ring terminals also work well. Ideally, the screw switch should be close enough to the access hole to be visible.

Back