King Kraken (L1 Certification) Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did end up with a small amount of damage at the top of the air frame, but my certification team determined that it was well within the realm of "minor damage" as allowed by the NAR in cert attempts.

You put a lot of work and time into the rocket and it payed off. Nice cert flight and congratulations.

Zippers are a drag but its part of the game. If it ever gets to short from trimming the body tube you can always convert the Kraken over to DD and get some practice in for later cert flights.

KK.jpg

You put a lot of work and time into the rocket and it payed off. Nice cert flight and congratulations.

Zippers are a drag but its part of the game. If it ever gets to short from trimming the body tube you can always convert the Kraken over to DD and get some practice in for later cert flights.

There are other ways to repair zippers besides trimming the body tube.

True. The other Kraken that flew on the 5th has a nice little fiberglass patch on it.

I haven't decided how I'm going to fix this zipper yet. Trimming the end off would probably be easiest since I won't have to try and match the paint. Actually, the damage is so minor that I could pretty much just ignore it and fly it as is. (That is the definition of a successful cert flight, after all.) but I definitely want to reinforce the top of the tube before I fly again.

Trimming the tube and converting over to dual deploy right away might be fun, but I'll have to research and invest in the electronics first.

Yep, it all depends on the damage Sometimes it only hurts the cosmetics and sometimes you get to cut off a big bunch of tube. When it gets to the "cut off a big bunch of tube" then there's a choice to rebuild it like original or make some big changes like converting it over to have a zipper-less booster or go DD. For me unless the rocket has sentimental value like keeping my cert rockets the way they were, its really just a excuse to modify and experiment.

Good job on your rocket and Re-Release the Kraken

photo-55.jpg

photo-56.jpg

photo.JPG

So, this is happening:

kraken.jpg kraken-dd.jpg

That was just a quick dry-fit. I still need to:

• build the e-bay (all I've done is cut a switch-band from the new tube and glue it to a coupler)
  • add some squiddly canards to the nose
  • paint the new parts
  • talk to someone about a custom vinyl graphic.
  • buy and another altimeter (I have one, but would like redundant electronics)

As for paint, the switch-band will match the fin interiors, and the nosecone/payload will match the rest of the rocket. I figure with the break in color provided by the switch-band, it won't be a huge deal if I don't get exactly the same color coverage from the duplicolor paint.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I think I've found an image for the custom vinyl. i guess I should also make an updated open rocket file.

I did my L1 on. king Kraken as well, fun rocket. I put a Giant Leap Fireball in mine and its had four great flights so far. Works great to prevent zippering and protect the chute.

sweet flight! My L1 is also going to be with a KK. With a very similar paint job!

Mine's getting fitted with an RRC3 though. It's flying on an AMW I195 WW

Braden

So, this is happening:

View attachment 143117 View attachment 143118

That was just a quick dry-fit. I still need to:

• build the e-bay (all I've done is cut a switch-band from the new tube and glue it to a coupler)
  • add some squiddly canards to the nose
  • paint the new parts
  • talk to someone about a custom vinyl graphic.
  • buy and another altimeter (I have one, but would like redundant electronics)

As for paint, the switch-band will match the fin interiors, and the nosecone/payload will match the rest of the rocket. I figure with the break in color provided by the switch-band, it won't be a huge deal if I don't get exactly the same color coverage from the duplicolor paint.

Man, that is a beautiful sight....
The green just POPS.

What brand NC is that on the DD model? Looks like a loooong one.

I did my L1 on. king Kraken as well, fun rocket. I put a Giant Leap Fireball in mine and its had four great flights so far. Works great to prevent zippering and protect the chute.

sweet flight! My L1 is also going to be with a KK. With a very similar paint job!

Braden

Now you fella's do plan on sharing flight pics, right?
:wink:

I195? You fly AMW?! :p

Pictures aren't optional, ya know....you talk about it, you show pictures. :)

-Kevin

Man, that is a beautiful sight....
The green just POPS.

What brand NC is that on the DD model? Looks like a loooong one.

Yes, I think it's about 4 in longer than the one that comes with the kit. As to brand it's a "dug out of a box of parts being given away at a club meeting" special. (In other words, I'm not sure.)

I was going to just re-use the original NC, but I think I like the look of the longer one with this upgrade. Also, I don't have to stress about getting the new paint job to match the old parts exactly.

Custom vinyl is being ordered for the extended payload section. I'm just finalizing the details with Mark (stickershock23)

Here's a small (cropped) teaser preview...

cropped_kraken_small.gif

4 months have gone by with that rocket spending most of the time sitting there in it's dry-fit state waiting patiently for me to get a "round tuit"

I did cut off the bottom of the nose cone and made a couple of cuts for some new squiddly canards and a bulk-plate back in September or October. I attached the canards with external epoxy clay fillets at some point too.

Last night I assembled the LOC altimeter bay (that I bought back in August?) and this morning, I foamed the nose cone and epoxied in the bulk plate. All I need to do now is drill vent, pop-rivet, and schere-pin holes and I think I'll be ready for paint. (And decals.)

Well, there's no hurry. God only knows when or if we'll have another launch at Snow Ranch.

Dude... i am right there with ya!

At the last 2 launches, I managed to pop off 3 of the 4 fins, burn through the shock cord (upgrade to Kevlar needed), and realised that the motor section was a little too short to stick larger motors in it.

Tubing arrived from LOC just before Xmas, so a rebuild is in order.

Since I screwed up the 4" quad Kraken, I have thoughts about the 3" rebuild. Thinking about doing two lower sections, one with 4x29mm and one with 38mm.
I also have a few lengths of BlueTube, so MAY upgrade to that.
Also have a nice FW 5:1 "profusion" black nose cone, and loads of profusion tubing to go with it.

Now the choices!

Do I use the LOC tubing to repair the original Kraken back to 38mm mount?
Or use the Bluetube to make a 4x29mm and 54mm mounts?
Or do I use the FG tubing and nose to make a 54mm Kraken.

I am thinking a FG 54mm Kraken NEEDS to be done. Also thinking that a 4x29mm cluster airstart would be a LOT cheaper than repairing the 4" Kraken with 4x38mm (especially in costs of feeding it motors!)

Well, there's no hurry. God only knows when or if we'll have another launch at Snow Ranch.

I meant to get a car wash in order to help bring forth a rainstorm. Didn't get to it today, but it's on my list for tomorrow.

Now the choices!

Do I use the LOC tubing to repair the original Kraken back to 38mm mount?
Or use the Bluetube to make a 4x29mm and 54mm mounts?
Or do I use the FG tubing and nose to make a 54mm Kraken.

Obviously, the correct answer is "yes" :tongue:

Well, the DD upgrade is sitting in primer now. I've ordered another Mirage Purple/Green kit. (I really should find out if I can buy just the color coat separately...)

Also, I need more lime ice...

And... another year goes by.

Still sitting in primer, but my goal is to get this to a point where I can fly it at the next LUNAR Snow Ranch club launch. My main sticking point was the fact that I didn't account for how far the switch protrudes into the alt-bay. With the otherwise wonderful 9volt battery clip installed on the back of the sled, there wasn't enough clearance to get everything in past the switch. I had a couple of different options, including building an 8" long bay instead of a 6". I decided (at least for now) to get a lower-profile LiPo battery. And now everything fits nicely. Of course I need to order a new switch, one with leads to solder the wire to.

IMG_5377.jpg IMG_5378.jpg IMG_5379.jpg

I went with a 7.4v 800mAh battery that can handle up to 16amp discharge. If course, now I need to get a decent LiPo charger. The local hobby shop has one for about $30. Or I can try for something off of Amazon or HobbyKing.

I wonder if I can get some painting done during the sportsball championship tomorrow. (probably not.)

I also do a bunch of Rc stuff and I use this charger. works great has a nice display to give you voltage of each cell and the total voltage. It's also great for using at the field because it will show you the voltage of the battery so you dont need a multi meter.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...er_Cell_Checker_30w_2s_4s_US_Warehouse_.html] It can run off a car battery or You can also get this which will allow you to plug it in. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking..._Switching_DC_Power_Supply_US_Warehouse_.html

Your av-bay looks great, Robert. I just got that charger from Hobbyking, but I haven't used it yet. I plan on powering it with a gel cell battery. It didn't come with any instructions, which is a disappointment.

Your av-bay looks great, Robert. I just got that charger from Hobbyking, but I haven't used it yet. I plan on powering it with a gel cell battery. It didn't come with any instructions, which is a disappointment.

If it's the same one as the one I posted above you just plug the balance lead into the correct spot and apply power with either another battery pack or a power supply. The charger does the rest for you and beeps/displays FUL when the battery is done charging.

completed the final touches on the altimeter bay for my King Kraken. I was able to sneak a bit of painting in between rain showers on Saturday. The vent-band now matches the green on the interior tube fins. Soldered the wire onto the new Schurter switch and installed that. Dug through my chutes to find a suitable drogue and main. Then tested my ability to wire everything up and get it packed into the rocket. Turned on the altimeter and listened for the beeps. One long - which is what I was expecting since I didn't connect any ematches.

Then weighed everything. Just a hair under 65 oz.

Updated my ork file and simmed a few motors. I think I'm going to try a DMS I140w for this flight. I'd like to fly it next week. The payload and nosecone will still in primer. Oh, and I still need to ground-test. (I think I'll be doing that out at snow ranch.)

I actually need to revise that weight a bit. It's closer tor 68 oz now that I've swapped out the smaller quick-links with some that will actually fit around my eye-bolts. (I was doing this funky loop the harness through the eye-bolt and quick-link it to itself thing that I wasn't totally happy with.)

I also taught myself how to tie an alpine butterfly knot in tubular nylon strapping. I'm not totally convinced its any better than a simple overhand-loop as an attachment point for chutes. But hey - a new relatively easy knot. I even got it to dress (mostly) nicely.

My 6-year-old was looking at the assembled KK-DD with the upper section still in primer last night. He told me: "Dad, I think you should paint those forward fin things green like the inside fins. It would look cool." That had been an idea I had early on, but I had decided not to mostly because I didn't want to bother masking the canards before doing the color shift paint...

So anyway, the nose cone is now masked leaving the squiddly canards exposed in preparation for a bit of testors lime ice. I doubt I'll be able to do the duplicolor mirage on the rest of the payload in time for Saturday, but I'll have the green done.

I'm oscillating between an I140W and an I280DM for saturday. (Currently leaning towards the less expensive lower thrust one...)

And as SCrocketfan pointed out a CTI 3G I180 skid would be a good compromise between the 2 AT DMS loads I was looking at. AND I happen to have a 3G CTI case laying around in the bottom of my range box.

(Yes, the last 3 posts were kind of copied-n-pasted from the "what did you do today" thread.)

Back