Alien Interceptor--"BERSERKER"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCF0271.JPGDSCF0272.JPGDSCF0273.JPGDSCF0274.JPGDSCF0275.JPG-
WILD!
pigment should be interesting

Pigment started ! I wanted to get a panelled-light refracting-absorbing-scaled sotra kinda finish--you know what I mean. This is going to be a long process since I want more than one color or shade and I have to do it in sections . Top that off with the wind that never hits my deck and has done so for the last three days and you can imagine I have my hands full. I got some mesh material from HL and cut it to the general size of the rocket---PAIN--Then I sprayed the bottom of it with temporary tacky spray. I applied it to the rocket--in the wind---PAIN---AND Once I got it streched out and tacked down a sprayed and initial coat of rusto hammered metal----hammered is what I'll do when this is done!! I peeled it off while the paint was still setting up and you get the effect you see. I'll be recoating areas with other colors so this may be a couple day process. Should have named this thing cobra---Maybe a rename is in the winds--I'll work that into the story? Anyway--here ya go --so far so good

WOW!! That looks AMAZING so far!!! KUTGW!! Can't wait to see what else you do to it...

Later! OL JR :)

WOW!! That looks AMAZING so far!!! KUTGW!! Can't wait to see what else you do to it...

Thank you sir, I'll get out some more pics in a while but it's slow goin. Still brezzy around here and that really slows things down . I'm going to try and get a little mottling with the colors --we'll see. Nice thing is I can go back and retouch areas easily and quickly with just a touch of blending!-------The photonic skin of the Berserker was a particular technology the Earthers lagged behind in. Since it was ---grown-- on the ships during assembly there was no practical way to retrofit the technology to existing Interceptors. The later MKIII and MKIV Interceptors would incorporate photonic skin panels as part of their assembly process.------

Started a little paint on the bottom--I'm using a little hammered gold to lighten areas--I figured out if I spray the area and then dust the rest after pulling up the mask, The whole thing sorta changes color as you turn it in the light --COOL--still a long way to go though! I'm having to do it in sections and then go back and shade and blend and mottle---kinda fun stuff------------DSCF0279.JPGDSCF0280.JPGDSCF0281.JPG----I should get some more pics out in the A.M. since I have to close tomorrow I'll play in the morning!!

:drool: I LOVE the paint! That is just awesome! :handshake: It sort of gives it the appearance of being covered in geometric tiles. I think that detail will really help give it a sense of scale.

You know what? I've run out of adjectives. Simply unbelievable.

:drool: I LOVE the paint! That is just awesome! :handshake: It sort of gives it the appearance of being covered in geometric tiles. I think that detail will really help give it a sense of scale.

That tile look is sorta what I was going for.Thanks everybody for the pat on the back!! I got up this morning early and finished the basic paint. There was no wind and I got more done in 1/2 hour than I did in two days. I'm pretty happy with it but it needs some detail work. I did get a couple of coats of clear on it . I thought it would cover some of the detail but it enhanced the look a lot. Having said that, it's a bit humid and it hazed as it dryed. No big deal,I'll let it set for the day and cure and hit it again tonight ---should take care of that.

If I can get it in the air between now and then---yes---If not --Then no -since it will be a-- heads - up--- flight but I will bring it with the Tingler either way to look at !!

Totally your call of course, but it would be a cryin' shame to bring them out and not let them fly. If the winds cooperate I think we can handle a heads-up flight. Don't worry, I know the LCO ! :wink:

p.s. to the peanut gallery - We follow all due flight safety precautions at Frisco. No special treatment for hornet driver, even though he's one bad rocket buildin' man !

Is the mesh you were using online? Photo? I'd love to see a Sport Rocketry article on the technique!

-Jeff
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

You know what? I've run out of adjectives. Simply unbelievable.
Damm, Hornet! That is just a sterling build and the finish is simply striking. Kudos to your major skill sets and if I were you-launch it once and then put it in a museum! You have broken the cool barrier with this one! Mad props,dude-this has been inspiring!

Just got in from the grind and HOLY COW--WOW-- Thanks gang for the kind words !!!! Still got a ways to go and I won't be painting tonight, just had a storm blow through and the humidity is through the roof!! I'm gonna sit down and think about some markings-if any- Thanks Samb for the offer, I'm going to try to get them up this week at a friends property in north end of McKinney, Just need to co-ordinate with him and make sure he's around---takes care of any local problems! If we don't get rain tomorrow afternoon the progress will continue. ----H

Is the mesh you were using online? Photo? I'd love to see a Sport Rocketry article on the technique!

-Jeff
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Jeff, I'll shoot out some pics of the mesh tomorrow afternoon . you can buy it at any place that sells fabric. It's the stuff they make vails and such from. costs about a buck a yard. I think I paid .77 at HL. Any kind of screening material will work ,just depends on the pattern and size you want. I used it for the ablative tiles on one of my display Interceptors and I believe Madison Alum used the same technique on his Diamondback.

Jeff, I'll shoot out some pics of the mesh tomorrow afternoon . you can buy it at any place that sells fabric. It's the stuff they make vails and such from. costs about a buck a yard. I think I paid .77 at HL. Any kind of screening material will work ,just depends on the pattern and size you want. I used it for the ablative tiles on one of my display Interceptors and I believe Madison Alum used the same technique on his Diamondback.

Think the word your looking for is "tulle"...

Kudos to your major skill sets and if I were you-launch it once and then put it in a museum! QUOTE]
Yup, I agree,I dont think Ild launch this one to many times.
Ild make dam sure I had a WIDE OPEN field covered in marshmellons for a charmin soft landing.

I gotta hunch you guys might be right! I might get a couple of shots with this one and retire it to the display case. I managed to get the clear on --pretty happy with it,DSCF0282.JPGDSCF0283.JPGDSCF0284.JPGDSCF0285.JPGDSCF0287.JPG the bottom needs some work but it's going in the right direction . I did manage to get the mottled look I wanted. I imagined it sitting in a launch bay or on the tarmac and sort of shade shifting just sitting there, even with the photonic skin inactive. -----

And some shots of the bottom---you'll notice I've cut the lug off---just could'nt stand the look---left a small blemish but that with be gone when I install the-----Lug assembly---The bottom is more gold toned and more mottled-------DSCF0288.JPGDSCF0290.JPGDSCF0292.JPGDSCF0293.JPGDSCF0294.JPG----I've got the nc pulled off a tick in one photo for painting reasons. Now to work on the markings.

SharkSkin.jpgInteresting how the color AND the design AND the texture kind of look like shark skin. Definitely a predator of some sort!

DSCF0267.JPGDSCF0268.JPGDSCF0297.JPGAlmost forgot the picture of the mesh I used---not the best pics but you'll get the Idea

I gotta hunch you guys might be right! I might get a couple of shots with this one and retire it to the display case. I managed to get the clear on --pretty happy with it,View attachment 90344View attachment 90345View attachment 90346View attachment 90347View attachment 90348 the bottom needs some work but it's going in the right direction . I did manage to get the mottled look I wanted. I imagined it sitting in a launch bay or on the tarmac and sort of shade shifting just sitting there, even with the photonic skin inactive. -----
You're pretty happy with it?! I'd all but sell my soul to be able to design/build/paint a rocket like that! :D You are genuinely talented-- and I am drooling. :drool:
As for the markings, I say don't overdo it. A few small, dark markings is the way to go with this one. :2:

Back