Alien Interceptor--"BERSERKER"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the ventrals on and shaped. The rear mounting area bothered me and just seemed weak, so I beefed up that area. I can sand and blend it later----DSCF0227.JPGDSCF0228.JPG---I sprayed all but the nosecone with laquer based sanding sealer ---DSCF0229.JPG---and then applied a coat of Dupont/ Sa'Atchi multi spectral paint---DSCF0230.JPG----UT-OH!!

Thanks PB for the correction. I new someone was gonna give me hell over that ! I hav'nt figured out the markings or color yet. Black just seems so-------Earther ?

Dark purply-black (or greeny-purple like those pearlescent paints that color shift at various angles I've seen some people use??) Maybe go with a sort of "reptilian" motif?? Maybe "scales" on the finish or some sort of alien reptilian looking markings of some sort, weird lettering, symbology, etc?? I'm thinking sorta like a "Torellian Invader" sorta thing, but toned down a bit and darker... bit more "mysterious"?? Sorta like a darker version of the original Trek Romulan Bird of Prey... Let your imagination run with it...

Later and KUTGW!! OL JR :)

I'm noticing a more "organic" shape trending in some of your recent designs. I gotta say I'm really liking it.

I'm noticing a more "organic" shape trending in some of your recent designs. I gotta say I'm really liking it.

Thanks for noticing. I've been trying to get away from the right angle this -straight edge that -thing. It makes sims tough if not impossible but what the heck !! Honestly you can overlay a plan with straight lines over most of them and get a pretty good guestimation for stability!

I went ahead and primed everything up with rusto filler primer. I had a couple of half cans of black and a half can of grey and used them up. Most of it will get sanded off anyway. After a quick scuff off of the burrs, I applied some bondo glazing putty on the various areas that needed it including the wing/fin roots. I laid the putty over the primed areas for better bondage.I'm going to let this set for a couple days in the Texas heat to cure out and shrink up. After that it's going to be sand/prime/sand/prime. The really tricky areas are going to be around the tailfinswhere they all gather up----just a really tight area!!!-----DSCF0231.JPG----more later

Dark purply-black (or greeny-purple like those pearlescent paints that color shift at various angles I've seen some people use??) Maybe go with a sort of "reptilian" motif?? Maybe "scales" on the finish or some sort of alien reptilian looking markings of some sort, weird lettering, symbology, etc?? I'm thinking sorta like a "Torellian Invader" sorta thing, but toned down a bit and darker... bit more "mysterious"?? Sorta like a darker version of the original Trek Romulan Bird of Prey... Let your imagination run with it...

I gotta tell ya that's not a bad idea !! The more I think about it the more I like it! Been awhile since I've done pearl paints but it might be worth a go here.-------On Masoom, a small competition had developed between the two species. The Earthers assigned to Berserker squadrons began to decorate their ships. The Sa'Atchi, not to be out done, and not understanding the concept, also painted their Interceptors in decorative colors. It seemed the SATs had the eyes for art.

I gotta tell ya that's not a bad idea !! The more I think about it the more I like it! Been awhile since I've done pearl paints but it might be worth a go here.-------On Masoom, a small competition had developed between the two species. The Earthers assigned to Berserker squadrons began to decorate their ships. The Sa'Atchi, not to be out done, and not understanding the concept, also painted their Interceptors in decorative colors. It seemed the SATs had the eyes for art.

I bet they had SEVERAL eyes for art... LOL:) (sorta like the critters in "Avatar", which I thought were refreshingly "realistically" designed flora and fauna populating Pandora, unlike so many sci-fi shows where the critters had little reason to look the way they did or work the way they worked...)

The darker color-shifting paints look very "stealthy" to me (in a futuristic sort of way... as I understand it, the PRESENTLY EXISTING stealth materials and coatings are very flat and somewhat "rubbery" (after a sort), but I think it's reasonable to assume in the future that materials that lend "stealth" to whatever advances in detection capabilities come about will not be in any way so limited... besides, the dark color-shifting stuff is really cool looking if for no other reason.

And, who doesn't like scales/feathers ala the Trek TOS Romulan Bird of Prey?? I'm not thinking of anything particularly GARISH, but a bit "understated"... sometimes that's MUCH cooler looking than something more obvious that stands out... IMHO... sorta like the vaguely reptilian but obviously very practical designs of the fighters and squad vehicles and other such flying craft on the original "V" miniseries...

Later and KUTGW!! Glad I could help! OL JR :)

I like the idea of it being understated. That makes for an interesting challenge with the markings---if any--too. The big challenge might be getting it to look good and photogragh well too. Gonna have to tinker with some ideas. It seems I'll have time, since the sanding and prep work are going to take a while. I like the idea of a dark base color---I guess in space a dark color is a lot less visable. That brings up the gloss or flat question. Flat paint shines brightly against a dark backdrop when lit with an external light source---see WW-II night fighters/bombers---HMMM? Active light bending paint. But , how does it look inactive? Challenging !!!! I LIKE IT !!!!----H

I like the idea of it being understated. That makes for an interesting challenge with the markings---if any--too. The big challenge might be getting it to look good and photogragh well too. Gonna have to tinker with some ideas. It seems I'll have time, since the sanding and prep work are going to take a while. I like the idea of a dark base color---I guess in space a dark color is a lot less visable. That brings up the gloss or flat question. Flat paint shines brightly against a dark backdrop when lit with an external light source---see WW-II night fighters/bombers---HMMM? Active light bending paint. But , how does it look inactive? Challenging !!!! I LIKE IT !!!!----H

If you're going with the pearl overlayment and using the darker base color, the finish will depend on what's needed for the pearl overcoat...

Personally I think it would look cool with a bit of iridescence to it with a dark underlayment with either a purple or greenish (or iridescant-ing between the two) candy coat. I'd think that for the scales or feathers, maybe a SLIGHTLY lighter color than the dark underlayer (or maybe a metallic version of it?? Just something to give a HINT of the scales/feather outlines, but still be visible through the pearl iridescent green or purple tint coat without overpowering it) outlining a mask of the feathers/scales... cut a strip of paper into a mask with the shape of the scales or feathers cut into it and the "dust" metallic or a slightly lighter color over it onto the dark undercolor to create the scales or feathers??

It'd be a challenge and might require some experimentation to get something that would work well, but I think it would be well worth the effort!

Here ya go!I used the nc as the core and am in the process of overlaying it with balsa. Once the basic shape is done and cures ,I'll sand it to it's final shape and prime. Should have that done sometime tommorow since I'm off------DSCF0233.JPGDSCF0234.JPGDSCF0236.JPGDSCF0237.JPGDSCF0238.JPG---more later

A bit more, sanded the cone to it's basic shape and put a thin layer of glazing putty on it to take care of any missed seams and help with blending. This whole operation went a lot smoother than I thought it would---whew---I'll let it set overnight and sand in the A.M.----It had been several years since the unprovoked and unexpected attacks on the Sa'Atchi' and Earths territories. The mauraders simply disappeared, or it seemed that way. Trade between the two worlds benefitted both in this time of uneasy peace.----DSCF0239.JPGDSCF0240.JPGDSCF0243.JPGDSCF0245.JPG----Most of this putty will be sanded off---pics later---H

DUDE !! I saw your last build. Outstanding, That's by far the coolest most imaginative paint I've seen in a long ,long time !!!

Thanks but its just paint and I can see where I made all my lame mistakes. Maybe the next will be better for me. You have talent that goes way beyond my skills...

I really enjoy watching your builds. :D

My girlfriend in the pictures is a nice distraction from the rocket! :D

It seems I stayed up late and played with my new project. Got the nc sanded down---I'll prime it up before I hit the hay---here's where we're at----DSCF0247.JPGDSCF0248.JPGDSCF0249.JPGDSCF0250.JPGDSCF0251.JPG- lighting sucked-------more later---H

OK, that's more like it, now it's a Berserker. Awesome buildup, mad modeling skills all the way around .

DSCF0252.JPGDSCF0253.JPGDSCF0254.JPG
OK, that's more like it, now it's a Berserker. Awesome buildup, mad modeling skills all the way around .

Thank you sir,I've got the nc primed and drying. As you can see I've moved back outside but it's cloudy--normally the sun is hitting my deck by now----so drying time will be extended a bit. The nc/bt joint is actually tighter than shown. I've got it pulled apart a bit

I got the primer sanded down. As I thought, the area between the tails and wings were a real pita !In the end I managed to get 99% of the grain sanded out of this area . It was just so stinkin tight, next time I'll get the hard part done before I mount them! I reglazed some of the little pin holes and trouble areas and got them sanded down. I'm ready to lay down the last coat of primer. I'll let it set overnight and sand with 220 and then 400. I might get a basecoat of paint on but I hav'nt really settled on a color or scheme yet, and the area around the tail wing root is gonna be a pain to get right. Plus I'm sure I'll find some little spots that need attention. Just about can't avoid that with all the wood.-------DSCF0255.JPGDSCF0256.JPGDSCF0257.JPGDSCF0258.JPGDSCF0259.JPG

Last edited:
Well, after sanding and priming and filling several time I think I'm there. I laid down a thin coat of white Rusto primer. I'll be using this as a base for my color scheme. Trust me , in the end not much white will show. I've moved away from the pearl paints on this one. I liked the idea but the farther I got the harder time I had wrapping my head around it. I mounted the lug after sanding down to the wood. I'm not fond of it. I prefer to hide them. I did'nt design this feature in but I have an idea ,and maybe later I can retrofit it. I added some external detail to the lower nose just to break it up a tick. Planning on starting the paint tonight.----DSCF0263.JPGDSCF0264.JPGDSCF0265.JPGDSCF0266.JPG-------Technologically, the SATs and the Earthers were on par with each other and both of their fighting forces were defensive in nature. The combined Earther/SAT squadrons began to take on a more aggressive stance , given the past attacks on their homeworlds and outposts. On Masoom, the keels where laid for two battle carriers.Each would carry a mix of up to 70 Berserkers and Interceptors and 20 of the new Dran-lok attack fighters.

This is an awesome build!!

I have to ask, are you going to fly this at the next Frisco launch?

Just wanna know cause I really wanna see this one in person!!

This is an awesome build!!

I have to ask, are you going to fly this at the next Frisco launch?

Just wanna know cause I really wanna see this one in person!!

If I can get it in the air between now and then---yes---If not --Then no -since it will be a-- heads - up--- flight but I will bring it with the Tingler either way to look at !!

Awesome!!

I will be there hopefully, on call on the 21st, but if I am out of pocket...lol

Back