How to attach recover to PML nose cone.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am building a 4" PML Endeavour and modifying it for dual deploy. I need to attach recovery to the (beautifully molded) nose cone. Should I:

- just screw an eye into the molded hole in the shoulder?

- rig attachment to the two plastic eyes molded in the shoulder?

- cut open the shoulder so I can get a wrench in there and attach an eye backed with a bolt?

- completely remove the bottom of the shoulder and epoxy a bulkhead into it?

I can post a picture of the NC if that would help.

Kevin

Cut enough of a hole in the shoulder so that you can get a washer and a nut in there.

-Kevin

Ream out the hole a bit and use a Molly bolt. Then you can attach with a screw eye or other type of tab on the now threaded hole.

Here's how I use PML cones. First, I cut out a hole in the bottom of the cone using a hole saw. The screw hole provided in the center of the cone makes a good guide for the hole saw. For this 3" cone, I made a bay inside the cone with 54mm airframe and coupler tubing. I further stengthened the phenolic tubing with a couple layers of heavy fiberglass. The cap is held in place with four socket screws. This is one of my favorate joints because the larger head size of the screw distributes forces over a larger area, which makes is much harder to tear out the cap. The bay is a nice spot for altimeters, trackers or gps units.

Jim

DSC04128.JPG

DSC04124.JPG

DSC04126.JPG

Back