Gallery Section Modifications

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
The Gallery Modifications are a work in progress and are not yet completed. It will take time to get everything moved but it will all be done as fast as I can manage it.

You may have likely noticed the change in the Gallery section. This change was not brought on by a desire to change for its own sake; it was brought on by the size of the gallery section coupled with some limitations of the VBulletin software that is basis for TRF. We had to subdivide things because the gallery section was approaching a "limit" in terms of number of threads that would have rendered the indexing moot and would have resulted in the "randomization" of the threads. They would all still be there but there is no telling what part of "where" any particular thread or post would be.

WiK kindly assumed the task of providing a new framework and that framework has now been implemented.

There are a few things you need to know.

1. You can still reply to any of the extant gallery threads but you cannot start a new thread within the individual galleries.

2. You can still start new threads but you need to start them in the "general" section of the gallery. As I see them and figure out where they go, they will get moved to the appropriate sub-gallery.

3. The indices should still work. You can look up anything that is indexed in the indices which are "sticky" in the general section.

4. I realize that this makes things a bit more difficult for those of you who just look for the new postings. Believe me, it makes things more difficult for me as well but we saw no other solution to the problem of the growing size.

5. Remember, that the ultimate "home" for any particular rocket will be in the sub-gallery for the oldest version of it that I can find. That means that your Semroc Retro-Repro of a classic Centuri design will ultimately be housed in the Centuri gallery, though indexing should eventually appear in the Semroc section as well. Of course, if you have a Semroc original, that would be in the Semroc gallery.

6. In the gallery sections only: Once something is posted in the gallery, I am going to assume I have permission to copy the post to other germane threads within the galleries unless I am asked not to do so. I will still ask permission before copying posts from other parts of the gallery. To those of you who have granted me blanket permissions: Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the work on keeping this section in a semblance of order.

Can we get a sticky specifically for Video Tips? I'm thinking both Video-ing of the rocket from the ground and Video from Rocket-Borne Cameras?

Thanks for all the work on keeping this section in a semblance of order.

Can we get a sticky specifically for Video Tips? I'm thinking both Video-ing of the rocket from the ground and Video from Rocket-Borne Cameras?

As a matter of fact, that is near the top of my list. My problem is that I am woefully knowledgeable about photo/video matters. I have solicited some advice from somebody as to organizing and indexing but have not heard back yet.

For that matter, I would welcome advice from anybody.

As I get used to working with the new format, I have found a "rhythm" that seems to work for me. It is a bit clumsy but seems to be the best I can do within the limitations of the software.

My first priority is to get done those threads appearing on the first page of the main gallery section. When a thread gets updated, it moves to the front of the line.

I have a list (dating way back) of posts that have been added to already indexed threads. I am working my way through them. As I do, I bump them to move them to the first page. That makes things much easier for me. I then make out the data sheet, move it to the thread and then move the thread to its ultimate home, updating or deleting index entries as needed. When the thread is moved, I leave a re-direct that expires after a week. After that point, you will need to look in the appropriate sub-gallery.

Threads already in sub galleries that get updated posed a real organizational nightmare for me. WHat I finally decided to do is to move the thread back to the main gallery section to get my attention and make creating the links easier. That assumes that some editing is needed on my part. After the editing is done, I move the thread back to its home. Of course if the update was only a comment and not a new entry, then nothing is done on my part. Expiring redirects are a part of this as well.

Sometimes, I get sick of staring at everything OR there is too much of a buildup of redirects. In those cases, I start adding new entries for which there are not yet any examples. It breaks up the monotony. After a while, I put my nose back to the grindstone and follow the above procedure.

Based on my experience for the last month, I should have everything that is already posted done some time in a year that starts with "2". I don't want to make any commitment more specific than that.

Back