Archetype Rocketry Presents...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What color of anodization would you prefer

• Clear

• Black

• Red

Results are only viewable after voting.
I ordered a redundancy pack this am but was charged the regular price.

In my Paypal receipt email, it has that you were correctly charged $35 for a 2 pack. I would suggest double checking your paypal receipt and if you still have a concern, please contact me personally.

In my Paypal receipt email, it has that you were correctly charged $35 for a 2 pack. I would suggest double checking your paypal receipt and if you still have a concern, please contact me personally.

I did as you suggested and you are correct - and the amount is correct. Thank you!

I can't remember. Does the new version need spare shearing pistons? It's going to cost me $25 for shipping, so I want to make sure I get everything I need in one order.

I can't remember. Does the new version need spare shearing pistons? It's going to cost me $25 for shipping, so I want to make sure I get everything I need in one order.

The Cable Cutters come with one piston per body, so I would recommend ordering extra. The $25 is the standard international priority shipping cost for me, which unfortunately, I cannot change :(

I had my first successful cable cutter flight yesterday. The flight came off without a hitch. My first cable cutter flight did not and I still can't fully figure out why. I think that I either did not use enough BP or that the gases blew past the ematch after it light. There was BP residue on the cutter and some char marks on the zip tie but it wasn't cut or even nicked. What I suspect happened was that I prepped, deprepped and prepped that flight so many times I might compressed the insulation on the ematch and simply got a blow by. On the successful flight yesterday, I slid an oring around the head of the match to but up against the nut of the cutter. This time I got a loud crack at 700' and a rapid deployment of the chute. The first flight I just got a muffled poof. Yesterday was awesome, worked like a charm for a perfect deployment. I love the cleanliness of the system, the cutter allows for a much sleeker avbay design and chute package.

I had my first successful cable cutter flight yesterday. The flight came off without a hitch. My first cable cutter flight did not and I still can't fully figure out why. I think that I either did not use enough BP or that the gases blew past the ematch after it light. There was BP residue on the cutter and some char marks on the zip tie but it wasn't cut or even nicked. What I suspect happened was that I prepped, deprepped and prepped that flight so many times I might compressed the insulation on the ematch and simply got a blow by. On the successful flight yesterday, I slid an oring around the head of the match to but up against the nut of the cutter. This time I got a loud crack at 700' and a rapid deployment of the chute. The first flight I just got a muffled poof. Yesterday was awesome, worked like a charm for a perfect deployment. I love the cleanliness of the system, the cutter allows for a much sleeker avbay design and chute package.
Glad to hear about your successful flight! Regarding your failed flight on the other hand, I have to ask... Did you try a ground test of the cutter? I know a lot of people skip that step but I think its important to build some better understanding of preparing the setup so that any blow-by is prevented.

That reminds me, I want to again point out to everyone that making a good seal between the wires to your ematch or q2g2 is very important. If you use the small o-rings around your ematch wires, be sure that the ematch is still snug on the inside. Sometimes I have needed to use 2 orings on the wires.

[youtube]-LLZR9n0VPk[/youtube]

.. Did you try a ground test of the cutter?

Speaking of ground test, don't forget to put the Kevlar cord and attach it some place, take my an hour to find my cable cutter when I ground test it, it fly 35 feet away :lol:. Last week I successfully launched 2 time my Nike Smoke with a cable cutter, next week I will go with a bigger rocket. This is a great product. To clean it ; soak the part in vinegar, you can see it dissolve the residue of BP ( and you will smell it too) , after don’t forget to soak it in water for 15 minutes to neutralize the acid.

cable2_zps9eedf006.jpg

Last edited:
I have been meaning to ask. Where do you attach the kevlar cord to?

I have been meaning to ask. Where do you attach the kevlar cord to?
Basically tie a knot around the threads of the screw cap and then secure it all together.

Check out the 5:00 mark in this video
[youtube]qjIDk5Z6WIA[/youtube]

I ground tested 4 shots, all worked perfectly. I think it was because I screwed it and unscrewed it too many times to tell you the truth. It was probably that, a bit of human error on my part and dumb of bad luck.

I've lost count but I think I am around 12 to 15. All successful. I most use Q2s. I hot glue the top and bottom.

In your drawing is the ejection charge mounted to the bulkplate of the NC ? Ive seen various set-ups similair to this but Im concerned that the ejection charge will force the chute into the rocket rather than out. Would it be an option to install a coupler between the NC and the booster? The coupler would remain bolted to the NC so that separation occurs between the coupler and booster and the chute is ejected from the coupler ?

I have attached a drawing of my typical assembly where the electronics are in the nosecone. Basically, you will proceed as standard, but when you are ready to attach your recovery system to the nose, keep the section of shock cord that will go to the chute either short or Z-folded and bound up with the chute bundle itself. I would suggest having about 8-12" there. You can go more if you'd like, but then the e-match wires start to get long. When you fold up your chute, simply wrap the Cable Cutter around it, and then secure the e-match wires to the section of shock cord with some tape to keep them from flailing about. Remember to add just a little bit of slack though - you want the tension on the shock cord, not the wires.

In your drawing is the ejection charge mounted to the bulkplate of the NC ? Ive seen various set-ups similair to this but Im concerned that the ejection charge will force the chute into the rocket rather than out. Would it be an option to install a coupler between the NC and the booster? The coupler would remain bolted to the NC so that separation occurs between the coupler and booster and the chute is ejected from the coupler ?
The method I showed previously works if your shock cord from the nose to the parachute is sufficiently shorter than the shock cord connecting the nose to the body. The chute may see some force into the tube, but the nosecone usually has enough momentum to pull everything out assuming a loose fit. You can certainly setup your rocket any way you see fit, I would just recommend trying to keep the ematch length as short as possible to minimize any possible tangling. As always, ground test to make sure it works, but I dont doubt it will. Post pictures of your setup to share with others!

I have done some more ground testing because I am changing to the e-matches and I want to get a feel for how they work before I put it in the air. Seems the e-match is far more energetic, whats the chance of this over pressurizing and ker-splodin? I put less than the recommended .1ml BP and went about .05 and it worked just fine. Whats the word on this?

TA

No but I think they are the same, it looks like every e-match I have ever seen. They don't go off any more violently than any other e-match its just more than the Q2's that I have been using. It was just a bit more startling when I tested it at the full amount of BP, so I'm just making sure, the cutters seem to be holding up fine.

TA

Ooh! I just ordered a redundancy set of these cable cutters !!

Hopefully they make it to Australia in time for Thunda :)

Krusty

My last order arrived quickly. You should be fine. I have a spare set if you need them, in any case. :cheers:

Does anyone know the inside dimension of this? I am looking for the inside dimension of the tube, and the diameter of the piston.

Does anyone know the inside dimension of this? I am looking for the inside dimension of the tube, and the diameter of the piston.
Piston is 3/16", ID of tube I dont recall off hand but obviously only slightly larger, maybe 13/64 or so.

Awesome. I am starting to draw up all of my small rocket parts in Solidworks. :)
cable cutter pic.PNG

Back