• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Giant Leap Vertical Assault 3.0 - immaculate and ready to launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbarrym

Reaction score
NOW SOLD

Offering my absolutely perfect and immaculate Vertical Assault, built from the Giant Leap kit with the 'Dyna-Wind' glass composite tubing, the High-Performance fin can, and 54mm Slimline tailcone/retainer. Never flown, complete with recovery gear (HD Kevlar shock cords, FireBall zipper stopper, and main chute - except drogue - I prefer not to use one) and one PerfectFlite altimeter (it's set up for two, will include a 2nd one installed for an extra $50).

Old time TRF'ers may remember the build thread I did on this one around 2004-5, especially the highly modded removable electronics bay (see pics for details). Built using Loctite industrial high strength and temp epoxy, painted with PPG K-36 primer and 2-stage Porsche Red auto paint, clear-coated with PPG gloss clear - the surface finish you see in the pics has not been rubbed out or polished (I've painted show cars and full scale aircraft and know how to keep it light but shiny). Note the clean and blended fin joints as an example of my workmanship - there were (still are?) pics of this (or its sister ship) on the Giant Leap website.

Specs from the GL website:

Specifications:

Length: 89"
Diameter: 3.0” I.D
Dry Wt: (no motor): 6 lbs
Motor mount: 54mm (38mm with optional 54/38 SLIMLINE motor adapter )
Parachute size: drogue 18”, main 36”

Recommended 54mm motors:

Aerotech: J90, J180, J275, J315, J415, J135, J800, J540, J800, K1100, K695, K550, K695 or K700
Pro54: J295, K445, K570, K660

Recommended 38mm motors: (requires 54-38mm adapter)

Aerotech: H123, H148, H242, I161, I357, I300, I211, I285, I284, 1366, I435, J420, J350, J570
Pro38: H153, I205, I285, J285, J330

Predicted altitude:

10,000' - K700 (MACH 1+)
8,300' - K550 (MACH 1 possible)
3,200' - I284
2,000' - I211
1,400' - I161

Asking $300, or $350 with two altimeters installed. Total cost to build as is would be over $350, not including the paint/primer (about $65 in paint cost alone) or labor...and you rarely see one this nice.

Easily shippable via UPS or USPS, buyer pays all shipping costs - contact me for a quote. Located in San Diego area for local pickup as well. PM me with any questions or for additional pics. Thanks for looking!

VA1.jpg

VA5.jpg

VA3.jpg

VA4.jpg

VA2.jpg

VA6.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful rocket, but I just have one question.. Why didn't you fly it? Can't imagine building something like this and not at least launching it once......

Hi Wayco -

I built two at the same time, identically built and finished. I flew the other many times (until it lawn darted at Turkey Shoot in 2005). About that time I began building much larger EX projects so this one just sat in the rafters until now. I literally forgot about it.

I've been asked why I'm selling so much rocketry and RC stuff (more to come)...I am relocating soon and will likely be in a small apartment for a year or two, and need to consolidate a three car sized workshop and an aircraft hanger into as small a storage unit as possible - 40 years of modeling and aircraft/car restoration leaves a LOT of residue! I don't anticipate doing HPR again for a long time, and I'd rather see my gear get used than sit in boxes for a long time.

Thanks!

It should.

I no longer have a CTI 54mm 6G case to check, but you can fit a 25" long case in there, with all the recovery gear installed. The Giant Leap website says that the Slimline tailcone retainer will fit all CTI motors, so you should be fine.

Barry

Last edited:
So let me get this straight... you are trying to sell an 8 year old, used rocket for $300 when it can be purchased brand new for $234? lol

So let me get this straight... you are trying to sell an 8 year old, used rocket for $300 when it can be purchased brand new for $234? lol

I think that is why it ha snot sold, but I would also say that it is immaculate and I think he poster said it has never flown.

actually this seems like a far price to me as it has a lot of time in the fillets and paint, not to mention the ebay extra one altimeter ... as it looks and he has said this is a unflown version...i would jump on it if i didnt already have one of my own(not near as nice either)

oh and dont forget these are out of stock right now on the Giantleap site.

Last edited:
K-dad, hate to slap you a bit, but have you considered that is is built (better than most), has $80 or so of auto paint/primer on it, and has a $75 altimeter?

It's also 8 years old but never flown, and it's built from the same kit they still sell. So tell me again why the price isn't fair?

I am open to offers. :grin:

K-dad, hate to slap you a bit, but have you considered that is is built (better than most), has $80 or so of auto paint/primer on it, and has a $75 altimeter?

It's also 8 years old but never flown, and it's built from the same kit they still sell. So tell me again why the price isn't fair?

I am open to offers. :grin:

The price isn't fair because you probably used Elmer's School Glue to hold it together and whoever tries to launch it is going to kill someone. Anyway, where the hell is Carlsbad, KA?

Barry- This is really eerie. I have the same pile of parts that have been waiting forever to be thrown together, except my tailcone is chrome. Same Altimeter and switches, too. My N/C isn't as clean as your eyebolt install, but same idea and I don't have the anti-zipper ball. You would freak at the av bay, except I have eye nuts instead of a nuts for the 1/4-20. I was seriously spooked when I saw this and wasn't gonna say anything, but when the price was questioned I asked myself-'"hell-how much time would I save going with this one instead?" I would have hardly ever considered buying a built bird-but this is not only beautiful, it's darn near a clone (wait, 'original', mine would be the clone since it's still in parts) of what I'm (kinda, slowly) building. And i haven't been on line much except for the past year and before that it was Compuserve and mainly with pyros and chemistry deviants, so I couldn't have seen your build thread. Like i said- spooky! Whoa! If you can't find somebody for this let me know. I'll be out of town until July 5-6 for a shoot (actually airshow support) and I leave Wednesday if the shipment get in by then. All I know is lodging is provided but don't know about internet access. I really don't need another frickin' rocket, but the Bat Cave has ample evidence I'm an idiot anyway. For all you other TRF'ers out there...IMO this is a great bird, well done with a superlative finish and very functional-jump on this if you can. Have a great 4th, Barry!
(if you want to sell the backup alt. sep-lemme know-I love'em too!)

Last edited:
The price isn't fair because you probably used Elmer's School Glue to hold it together and whoever tries to launch it is going to kill someone. Anyway, where the hell is Carlsbad, KA?

Wow. The price is on the higher side, but is fair considering the quality. I understand it is not a "steal" or as sweat a deal as some of the sales on here, but it is fair.

I am tempted to buy it myself. I am glad someone else is buying ti to remove the temptation.

No - I suggested to Barry if he couldn't find a buyer to pm me. I have one already, it's just missing a few things like oh, epoxy, the correct order of assembly and a little paint. Yeah- it ain't moebius-wound unobtainium, but still a cool bird. I'll be on travel for a week and let it marinate.

hmm. More temptation. This is a potential purchase i would need to discuss with my wife. Oh, wait, I know the answer. I think the answer involves snow and hades.

Wow, this thread has become...."interesting". Thanks for the compliments AND jeers.

Sorry about the mailbox, it fills up quickly - the 70 msg limit is too small!

I still have the Vertical Assault, fyrwrxz, and since you are local I've got some airframes you can have with it if you want - a 5.5" Nike Smoke that needs repair (with all the needed parts except the nose cone) and a 98mm "cartoon roc" that just need an altimeter and chute. Contact me when you get back from the show.

Cheers -

Barry

KA is where California used to be before taxes and bad regulation drove businesses (like mine) out of the state. Carlsbad is a great beach town where I live (for a little bit longer).

Wow, in 13 years, off and on, as a member on ROL,TRF Old, and TRF New, this is the snarkiest reply - that DIDN'T involve flying pyramids or oddrocs - I've ever received. Thanks!

Barry

KA is where California used to be before taxes and bad regulation drove businesses (like mine) out of the state. Carlsbad is a great beach town where I live (for a little bit longer).

Wow, in 13 years, off and on, as a member on ROL,TRF Old, and TRF New, this is the snarkiest reply - that DIDN'T involve flying pyramids or oddrocs - I've ever received. Thanks!

Barry

lol relax

Beautiful rocket! I agree that the price seems high but you're getting a good deal considering the time and attention that went into it. I have considered it but ultimately for me, personally, building is half the fun of the hobby. I'd rather pick up a kit and have at it myself even if it doesn't look half as nice.

I still advocate the use of the "ignore user" tool for some of the people on TRF. All you see is:

This message is hidden because xxxxxxx is on your ignore list.
View Post

Remove user from ignore list

It helps weed out the useless posts.

I still advocate the use of the "ignore user" tool for some of the people on TRF. All you see is:

This message is hidden because xxxxxxx is on your ignore list.
View Post

Remove user from ignore list

It helps weed out the useless posts.

That is actually a good point. It also encourages less hostility.

I too think that the price is fair for the quality of build. It all comes down to how much you trust the build quality of someone else. Having seem the pics and details of some of dbarrym's stuff, I am tempted by this deal, but alas not quite what I am looking for.

Now.. Barry, if you want to sell that repairable Nike... drop me a pm with details, that one may tempt me!!

Barry,

Your work is amazing in this build. My first reaction was the price was too low for the effort and what you are including. My second reaction confirms the first. Many (including me) should take lessons from you.

Kent/GLR

I don't think the asking price is out of line one bit. Barry did a beautiful job building the rocket and it deserves to belong in a good home. If I had the money and I was back in KA, I'd pick it up on principal.

Barry, don't sweat the negative comments. The only problem I see on this board is the spectrum of ages it attracts. I forget a lot of the times that I could be talking to some 15 year old kid as much as I could be talking to a guy with 15 years experience in rocketry.

Good luck with the sale and the life re-org.

Back