Rockets on Airplanes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagerton

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience getting rockets and/or engine casings through airport security? I can imagine that a full 3' rocket (even in pieces) appearing on an X-Ray might raise a few eyebrows, but a couple of empty engine casings might get through ok. They probably have AP residue, although I could thoroughly wash them beforehand. Nothing about rockets is explicitly forbidden on the TSA website.

I may have to declare the items, such as when people take firearms on an airplane. As long as they don't call the bomb squad and blow up my luggage, the worst that could happen would be missing my flight. Thoughts?
-Ted

Considering the fees that the airlines charge for checked baggage
you could FedEx the rocket to your final destination and avoid the potential hassle.

But then, we know how careful FedEx is with packages...

I have no experience attempting to take a rocket nor casings on an airplane. I do however frequently fly for business. As long as the casing is empty and clean, you should have no problem. I would put it in your checked baggage. It will appear to the TSA exactly as it is, an empty tube. I would go so far as to put the closures in you carry on, just so the pieces are seperate.
As for the rocket, I'm not sure how you could do that. Because of size, you would need to disassemble it and put it in a checked hard sided bag (footlocker/pelican case?). Keep in mind the maximum size allowance, or it could get really expensive. Yes, you should probably warn them that it is in there without using the words High Powered Rocket. Call it a large model rocket to avoid confusion. Don't lock the bag unless you use a TSA approved (worthless) lock. They will want to look inside that bag.

Also consider shipping via Fedex, again in a hard sided container. If you will be in a hotel, let them know its coming and they will hold it at the front desk.

That's my thoughts, YMMV.

I have no experience attempting to take a rocket nor casings on an airplane. I do however frequently fly for business. As long as the casing is empty and clean, you should have no problem. I would put it in your checked baggage. It will appear to the TSA exactly as it is, an empty tube. I would go so far as to put the closures in you carry on, just so the pieces are seperate.
As for the rocket, I'm not sure how you could do that. Because of size, you would need to disassemble it and put it in a checked hard sided bag (footlocker/pelican case?). Keep in mind the maximum size allowance, or it could get really expensive. Yes, you should probably warn them that it is in there without using the words High Powered Rocket. Call it a large model rocket to avoid confusion. Don't lock the bag unless you use a TSA approved (worthless) lock. They will want to look inside that bag.

Also consider shipping via Fedex, again in a hard sided container. If you will be in a hotel, let them know its coming and they will hold it at the front desk.

That's my thoughts, YMMV.

Thanks T-Rex. For the rocket, I believe I could package it safely and in the right amount of space. (It's not THAT big, esp when disassembled, I should have said 3-4' tall, not wide). I'm flying on Southwest, so a checked bag is free.

I think I've done 5-6 round trips with rockets over the years. I've never had a problem beyond the check in agent asking me to confirm there weren't any dead bodies in the large casket looking box that had a rocket in it. After paying $300 to fly with an over-sized and overweight box (couldn't ship it as it wasn't done in time), I've started designing anything I build to fit in a standard 62" box (or 2 or 3...). It's a bit difficult as a 4' long 4" tube will only leave you 2" on each side before your bag is too big, although it's not uncommon for normal luggage to be over 62" and not be charged a fee. I usually disassemble everything as much as possible: electronics bays with nothing in them (and electronics in the carry on or a separate box), parachutes out, etc. I've never mentioned what was in them when checking in, etc , except the one time they asked about dead bodies. That time it was "inert model rocket parts".

I have flown a variety of rockets in checked luggage, with empty motor casings without any issues. I have also flown a lot of electronics in carry-on luggage without any questions either.

As an airline pilot, let me chime in here.

I have never had a problem with security with my rockets...even carrying them through the security checkpoint in plain view. But, I take the nose cones out or reverse them....which makes them less 'pointy' looking. I make sure I have no engines of course, and no building supplies that could cause an issue (ie X-Cato blades are right out). I've never used composite engines, but I'm assuming the engines can be opened when empty...I might even consider keeping them disassembled in a zip lock so they look even less like an issue.

Remember, most LPR rockets typically only show the engine clip, screw eyes, and snap swivels in an X-ray anyway (though a clay nose weight will get you some attention). I'd actually be more nervous if I wasn't carrying them myself because I couldn't show how harmless they are.

Also, FedEx is not a bad option, and the occasional fence tosser not withstanding, most packages are treated just like any other mass package shipping company.

FC

Great sounds like there is not too big of an issue with rockets on airplanes. Do they do swabs for explosives in checked bags too? The rockets will probably have residue on them.
-Ted

SLI teams do it all the time, and Xenon has lots of experience. Likewise folks coming to LDRS and BALLS from outside the US.

TSA will defer to the airline on it, so if you're not sure, call the airline at the departure airport and explain to them and ask if they want you to do anything special.

Also show up early to allow for any questions that do come up

Great sounds like there is not too big of an issue with rockets on airplanes. Do they do swabs for explosives in checked bags too? The rockets will probably have residue on them.
-Ted

I think they commonly do, but without getting too technical (I don't want to mess up details I don't remember), any chemicals that are commonly used in rockets (possibly with the exception of sugar motors) are not going to show up on the explosive trace detection machines. Those things have a pretty high false positive (and negative!) rate anyway. Pack things taken apart so they can see they are harmless quickly anyway.

Remember, most LPR rockets typically only show the engine clip, screw eyes, and snap swivels in an X-ray anyway (though a clay nose weight will get you some attention).

Yup. I got that attention at the Providence, RI airport a number of years ago (pre 9/11). I was flying out to NARAM and decided that I would hand-carry my Sport Scale model rather than risk damaging it by packing it in the steamer trunk with the rest of my models. I put the box with the model (a BT-60 sized Asp) on the conveyer and the X-ray operator asks, "Is that a rocket in there?" I explained that yes, it was a model rocket - wood, paper, plastic, no propellant. He called his supervisor who said, "Oh, I know what that is. He's OK." and off I went. At the time, you could see the X-ray screen as you walked out of the secure area, so I hustled over to get a peek before he could clear the screen. I could see the engine hook, a faint outline of the leading edge of one of the fins, and a big dark spot where I had packed the nose with clay.

Nowadays, I just ship the models ahead. It's usually cheaper than the airlines baggage fees and I don't have to worry about TSA getting curious and unpacking things and breaking stuff. Sometimes, though, my scale model isn't quite finished and I carry on a box with the pieces. I've never had any problems going through the checkpiont with that.

We've used the Stanley 37 in. Mobile Job Box for shipping equipment via air and ground.
They have wheels which makes moving them easy.
They will hold rockets and other gear, but don't ship motors, igniters, BP or solvents.
Make sure there is no hazmat inside. Some batteries, epoxies and glues are hazmat.
eef5ad13-66f8-47e8-b887-4985ffeaf335_300.jpg
Use Reusable Cable Ties to keep them closed.

7134k21p1l.png

Put extras inside box so if they cut them they have something to replace the cut ones.

Put a list of contents on outside of box. Include instructions for replacing cable ties..

Bob

I have flown with rockets a couple time. Just declare them when you check you baggage. Make sure there is no Black powder or propellant (etc)

As for a swab test. the TSA guy swabbed my rocket right in front of me after it had flown and I did NOT clean it. no red flags came up on the "sniff test"

I asked him about that. and he said "rocket propellant is NOT what we are looking for"

So crate things up nice. and go for it!

Great suggestions guys. This is very reassuring.

Bob, I actually have that same container back in the garage in Houston. I will definitely plan on bringing that with me!

Good to know that the bomb sniffers won't be set off by AP.

Success! I flew on Southwest with my box full of model rocket supplies. The guy checking my bags wanted to see inside the box, but he didn't seem to alarmed.
I ended up mailing the engine casings with my other engines that I shipped via UPS. I figured if I was going to be shipping full motors, I might as well not risk it. I did have to pay for hazardous cargo.

Sorry for the bump, but I'd like to add my experience. I just tried to bring my RW Formula 75 (unloaded, of course) through security (for carry-on) and of the 2 agents who dealt with me, 1 was just shocked. And the other one just told me "there's no way you're bringing that, you'll have to check it."

My box of altimeters, wires, etc, got nary a second glance.
So yeah... YMMV.

Yeah, no missile-looking things as carry-on. And yes even a Big Bertha could be considered a missile-looking thing. Same reasons why no gun-looking or grenade-looking or knife-looking things as carry-on either.

But rockets are fine as checked baggage, just no motors or other pyrotechnic devices or course.

My experience has only been with contest models for FAI flying. I have carried them on from Phoenix to Washington D.C. Dulles, from Phoenix to Varna Bulgaria via Istanbul, Turkey, and to Michigan for NARAM this year. No problems any time. My travel range box gets shipped ahead or sent in the checked luggage. My FAI models are so light weight that the usual question I get is, "Why are you carrying on an empty box?". (they really don't show up on the x-ray)

I once carried on a motor thrust stand and got the swab-down. It showed nothing. As one other post mentioned, they aren't looking for rocketry propellant. However, the woman in line behind me got flagged due to residue on her hands from applying her makeup. Go figure...........

TD Willard
Phoenix, AZ

I'm pretty sure the reason he wouldn't let mine through is because it could be used as a weapon (some sort of billy club or similar).

I'm pretty sure the reason he wouldn't let mine through is because it could be used as a weapon (some sort of billy club or similar).

One of my kids lost a credit-card shaped multitool at security because one edge was slightly serrated. On the same flight were five guys with telescoping trekking poles strapped to their backpacks. I know which one I'd rather bring to a fight...

When the TARC team I mentor went to nationals, we flew with our rockets as carryons. I was more worried about the range box, but that went through without even a look inside. TSA didn't care about the rockets either. I agree with advice to take nose cones off so they don't look pointy.

(possibly with the exception of sugar motors)

Can you elaborate it further? I plan to use sugar motors in my rockets, but I actually transport them (the rockets, not motors) by plane. Should I be worried residues from the sugar motor on the rocket trigger a false positive test for bombs? I imagine that during flight some unburnt rocket fuel migrates to the rocket surface.

I will assume that this is an honest question and not an attempt (as sometimes happens) to learn things here that can be used to hurt people in areas where there is political and religious conflict.

As such, I don't know the rules where you are, but in the U.S. if you were discovered carrying such things in your baggage on an airplane you would be in a lot of trouble, and probably in jail. This is very dangerous. If a sugar motor were to accidentally ignite in the cargo hold it could result in the destruction of the aircraft and the death of many hundreds of people, or at the very least a serious fire and an emergency landing. You would likely be charged with endangering lives, destruction of property, and possibly terrorism (as well as other things).

I'm sure that I am not alone in wondering how you would not know this.

When teams of rocket hobbyists travel to international competitions, they are compelled to find local sources for motors that they can use and need friends who can buy them and bring them to the competition over land.

Yes, you should be worried.

I hope you understand why some forum members would react poorly to learning of such a thing.

I will assume that this is an honest question and not an attempt (as sometimes happens) to learn things here that can be used to hurt people in areas where there is political and religious conflict.

As such, I don't know the rules where you are, but in the U.S. if you were discovered carrying such things in your baggage on an airplane you would be in a lot of trouble, and probably in jail. This is very dangerous. If a sugar motor were to accidentally ignite in the cargo hold it could result in the destruction of the aircraft and the death of many hundreds of people, or at the very least a serious fire and an emergency landing. You would likely be charged with endangering lives, destruction of property, and possibly terrorism (as well as other things).

I'm sure that I am not alone in wondering how you would not know this.

When teams of rocket hobbyists travel to international competitions, they are compelled to find local sources for motors that they can use and need friends who can buy them and bring them to the competition over land.

Yes, you should be worried.

I hope you understand why some forum members would react poorly to learning of such a thing.

I would like to clarify that under no circumstances I am going to carry a sugar motor or any pyrotechnical device in my luggage, but I am worried residues from the sugar motor may be detected on parts of the rocket. Maybe I should clean the rocket thoroughly prior to storing it in luggage? I clarified my first question.

I would like to clarify that under no circumstances I am going to carry a sugar motor or any pyrotechnical device in my luggage, but I am worried residues from the sugar motor may be detected on parts of the rocket. Maybe I should clean the rocket thoroughly prior to storing it in luggage? I clarified my first question.

That is a real concern. I have a friend who works for an energetic material research group. He was stopped by TSA once because of the residues that were found on his stuff as a result of his work. The tech that TSA uses to detect trace chemicals is pretty good. I wouldn’t risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I am worried residues from the sugar motor may be detected on parts of the rocket. Maybe I should clean the rocket thoroughly prior to storing it in luggage? I clarified my first question.

No, not necessary, the sniffer is looking for components in their raw form. [before burning] The residue from burnt motors is not an issue with them. I had a discussion about this with the operator of the equipment at the airport,he stated residues even from BP differ significantly after burning. The chemical reaction after creates different components they are NOT looking at.

For instance BP...major component are sulphur-Kn and charcoal, after burn they are ash & sulfuric acid residue.

I did get stopped at Barcelona & had to go through interrogation after my laptop keyboard had BP residue on it, according to the sniffer.
I explained it was probably from handling BP charges for my rocket & looking in my files for amounts needed. I always carry a rocket magazine of some type that show what our hobby is all about, this time it was Sport Rocketry, when I showed them that, they let me go with no further issue. As I mentioned they are more concerned about the chemicals in raw material. That's what they look for.

Last edited:
But, just for the sake of completeness: some sugar formulas smell a lot like Bad Stuff to certain kinds of machines.

You may find yourself rather inconvenienced based on the intersection of your formula & the particular detector used.

But, just for the sake of completeness: some sugar formulas smell a lot like Bad Stuff to certain kinds of machines.

You may find yourself rather inconvenienced based on the intersection of your formula & the particular detector used.
It will be the KNO3 that sets off the machine, since one of the chemicals they target is nitrates. We used to have a "dog on a stick" where I work at, basically a patch on a stick they swab around the steering wheel and a few other commonly touched areas then place it in a machine to be read, a real dog is more accurate IMO.

Last edited:
Back