Estes Jetliner #3230

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you guys were talking about it I thought I'd post it here as well. These are my few build pix. First is the parts layout. Next the wings put together and the mini-engine mount. Then a couple of shots with all the balsa glued on. The last photo is the model painted white. I hope to get the decals on tomorrow.

DSCN8378.JPG

Estes Jetliner 004.JPG

Estes Jetliner 007.JPG

Estes Jetliner 008.JPG

Jetliner 001.JPG

Does Estes market this one as a Goony in any way, shape or fashion?

How long is the body tube? Looks to be about 6 to 6.5"...I might pick up a few of these just for kit bashing....could use a couple mini mounts without having to buy the extra tube I may not use. BT80 upscale would be cool. My Christmas list just keeps GROWING!!
And from what I read on YORF, they aren't going to call these "Goonys", but WE know what they are! Looks sweet Rick!

Looks great Rick. Do you see any problems with my plan to swap out the motor mount for 18mm?

From my conversation with Mike Fritz at NARAM 54, Estes isn't going to pursue the use of "Goony". While they appreciate the history, I believe they are moving ahead to create a new history. So, while we all love the old Goonies and other old rockets, I think we are going to equally love the new stuff. Just my thoughts.

The body tube on the Jetliner is actually only 5 3/4" long. You could put an 18mm mount in it but, it wouldn't leave much room for recovery and you would probably have to add even more nose weight. The shoulder on the nose is also kind of long.

What's in a name? That which we call a Goony by any other name would fly as swell...

The body tube on the Jetliner is actually only 5 3/4" long. You could put an 18mm mount in it but, it wouldn't leave much room for recovery and you would probably have to add even more nose weight. The shoulder on the nose is also kind of long.

Hmm....might be a good candidate for rear ejection.

well heck an actual 'Goonybird' bt is only 5" long...
rex

I looked up the Mini Shuttle, and it's body tube is 5" long, but uses a streamer for recovery. One of the old Goonies has a 5" tube with parachute, so you should have room for everything with an extra .75" of room.

Looks great Rick. Do you see any problems with my plan to swap out the motor mount for 18mm?

You may well learn about the speed of balsa if all you are doing is swapping the mount and adding any nose weight you'll need to account for that.

kj

Yeah....I think I may use a longer body tube as well.

Rick, can you confirm that it is a BT-60?

Last edited:
I looked up the Mini Shuttle, and it's body tube is 5" long, but uses a streamer for recovery. One of the old Goonies has a 5" tube with parachute, so you should have room for everything with an extra .75" of room.

On the Mini Shuttle, the plastic nose cone had a conical taper below the shoulder that made it difficult to have enough space for the wadding and streamer. Eventually, I cut the taper off and epoxied a loop in the inside of the hollow nose where I attached the shock cord and streamer.

Last edited:
Got a GIANT one on the table yet?

Would I do that??

HEck yes already have the kit have scanned the decals and the fins and am working on a Sim for it..

Just how big to go?? I do have some 7.5" tube and some 10" tube... than means making a nose cone.. or I could go 5.5 or 6" and buy a cone.....

anyone else interested in an upscale set of decals??

Extending body tubes, 18mm D10 motors (why not 24mm?), ring fin jet engine cowlings, AWACS dishes, custom decals, bigger chutes, label papered fins, heavy epoxy glues, more nose weight than the original kit weighed. No wonder Estes is distancing itself from the Goonies, just crazy, crazy, crazy!

Rick, you did a great job on the Jetliner. I agree it's a cool little rocket. A launch report would be appreciated once you get a chance to launch it.

That's cute...the Kid's will love that ! nice build!......And PS to DaddyinNOTinaBar...you forgot the Droop snoot for takeoff and landing and the Canards....and of course the special use pods that are rack mounted in an internal bay...heck throw in a Norton Bomb Drop widget too!

That's cute...the Kid's will love that ! nice build!......And PS to DaddyinNOTinaBar...you forgot the Droop snoot for takeoff and landing and the Canards....and of course the special use pods that are rack mounted in an internal bay...heck throw in a Norton Bomb Drop widget too!

OMG! Supersonic Goonies that can put their egg loftin' payloads in a pickle barrel from 20,000 feet!

Many Years ago Jim Fackert (sp?) had a a tiny "Easter Egg" space shuttle (think it flew On "T" motors)....maybe piggy back that on the Jetliner and Glide on into that Pickle Barrel!...(ever had a Pickled egg?)

Upscale... I ordered a 5.5 inch nosecone today...

Oh and I bought the kit at hobby people in Las vegas when I was passing through..

Upscale... I ordered a 5.5 inch nosecone today...

Oh and I bought the kit at hobby people in Las vegas when I was passing through..

Sweet Mark...knew YOU couldn't resist! lol

I look for one tomorrow, looks like a fun one!

It would be cool to see some aftermarket decals in real airline livery. Pan Am anyone?

Back