Upscale Alpha III

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I've got three other builds I haven't finished yet, and yet I'm starting another. It's a sickness...

My first ever rocket when I was a kid was an Estes Alpha III. It was the red and white version with the decal wraps from 1973. Since I've been a serious BAR, I've wanted to build an upscale. I decided on a 4" version. I'll be using LOC tubing and nose cone, and making my own components as usual. It will be zipperless, and will break right at the top of the fins. That way I can paint the entire fin can as a unit, with no masking required. Pretty smart, eh? LOL

73est18.jpg

View attachment alpha_iii_xl_3.ork

screenshot.jpg

The body tube and nose cone should be here next week. But I went ahead and started on what components I could. The centering rings, bulkhead, and baffle plate were cut out of 1/4" plywood, using a 4-1/4" hole saw. I trimmed them to size on the wood lathe. The center holes in the centering rings were cut with a 1-9/16" hole saw, and sanded to fit the 38mm motor tube with a Dremel.

01_centering_rings.jpg

05_centering_rings.jpg

06_centering_rings.jpg

09_centering_rings.jpg

The half moon baffles were cut out with a 1-7/8" hole saw, then trimmed on the lathe and cut with the bandsaw. The pilot holes will be filled with epoxy. I marked and drilled the perimeter holes in the baffle plate with a 3/8" bit, and the holes for the u-bolt with a 9/32" bit.

07_baffles.jpg

08_baffles.jpg

10_baffle.jpg

12_baffle.jpg

31_baffles.jpg

I've used u-bolts in my builds before, and will be using one for the Alpha III. I tend to over think things, and have decided that the bar that comes with u-bolts has a too small surface area. So I cut a plate out of 1-1/4" x 1/8" aluminum bar and drilled holes in it.

13_u-bolt.jpg

14_u-bolt.jpg

15_u-bolt.jpg

16_u-bolt.jpg

17_u-bolt.jpg

I like the aluminum plate much better. It's heavier than the steel bar, 12 grams vs. 7 grams. But you know me. Why just build when you can over build! I also test fit the centering rings on the motor tube.

18_u-bolt.jpg

19_u-bolt.jpg

20_u-bolt.jpg

21_centering_rings.jpg

22_centering_rings.jpg

I found a couple of very nice, straight pieces of 1/4" birch plywood at Michael's, and used them for the fins. As usual, I cut "blanks" and pinned them together with 1/4" dowels, so that they can be cut and sanded together.

23_fins.jpg

24_fins.jpg

25_fins.jpg

26_fins.jpg

27_fins.jpg

And finally, I flooded the coupler with CA, and sanded it smooth on the lathe. Normally I would only flood half the coupler, 3", with CA. But this time, to give me more room for a slightly longer motor tube, only 2-1/2" of the coupler will be epoxied into the lower body tube, leaving 3-1/2" exposed.

32_coupler.jpg

33_coupler.jpg

34_coupler.jpg

I have got to learn to keep my thumb off the moving sanding belt.

thumb.jpg

Glad to see this build, I was getting a bit worried - you haven't built anything in a few days.:neener:

I epoxied the blocks onto the centering rings for the rail buttons and tee nuts. I also decided to use a u-bolt in the forward bulkhead, so I made another aluminum backing plate.

35_blocks.jpg

37_blocks.jpg

39_bulkhead.jpg

40_bulkhead.jpg

41_tee_nuts.jpg

Got the motor tube cut to length, and the forward centering ring epoxied to it. I also epoxied the two half moon baffles into the forward end.

38_motor_tube.jpg

42_motor_mount.jpg

43_motor_mount.jpg

44_baffle.jpg

45_baffle.jpg

Well, this is a bummer. I've never received anything damaged from Hobbylinc before. Guess I'll get to see exactly how good their customer service really is.

46_crushed.jpg

48_crushed.jpg

49_crushed.jpg

50_crushed.jpg

51_crushed.jpg

Well, this is a bummer. I've never received anything damaged from Hobbylinc before. Guess I'll get to see exactly how good their customer service really is.

Was your order insured? I've had damaged items delivered due to rough handling, and they've replaced them no questions asked. I don't know how they work if orders are not insured.

Looks like LOC has changed their nose cones. Never saw the ridges or this decal before. And it doesn't look like it's finished as nicely as the other ones I've used. Oh well, I guess that's why God made sandpaper.

I measured the circumference for the decal wraps. Looks like it's right between 12-11/16" and 12-3/4". Using pi, I get 12.56636". But 11/16" is 0.6875". Not sure why the discrepancy. I guess I'll let Mark at Stickershock figure this one out.

52_nose_cone.jpg

54_nose_cone.jpg

55_circumference.jpg

Was your order insured? I've had damaged items delivered due to rough handling, and they've replaced them no questions asked. I don't know how they work if orders are not insured.

No, I've never insured my orders, and never had a problem before. I don't think the box was damaged (I already cut it up), but it was packed with the nose cone in the tube. I suppose if it had been dropped right on the end with the nose cone tip, that could have caused this damage. Something had to give, and it was unfortunately the body tube.

Looks like LOC changed vendors on the nosecones. There's always been a bit of a molding seam on the cones I've purchased from them but the ridges and decal are new.

Bummer about the body tube being crinkled. Did the box show any signs of damage or does it look like the tube was already damaged before it was packed?

I've got an extra 3" LOC tube if the need is urgent.

Looks like LOC changed vendors on the nosecones. There's always been a bit of a molding seam on the cones I've purchased from them but the ridges and decal are new.

Bummer about the body tube being crinkled. Did the box show any signs of damage or does it look like the tube was already damaged before it was packed?

I've got an extra 3" LOC tube if the need is urgent.

Yeah, there's always been a seam on the nose cones, but I don't remember them being this "messy". The shipping box had a couple of wrinkles in it, but no major damage. I appreciate the offer of the 3" LOC tube, but this is 4".

I wrapped a piece of paper around the body tube, marked and measured it. Now I've got three different circumferences. This one is 12-19/32". I got 12.56636" using pi x diameter, and 12-23/32" with the measuring tape. Not quite sure how to proceed.

56_ruler.jpg

I just got an email from Hobbylinc. They're sending out another body tube. What a great company.

Jim you are a rocket building machine.I can't build anything until I get back to work in a few months,if you want to ship me one of those builds(LOL)I'll hang on to it if your running out of room at home.:wink:

Well, I got the replacement body tube from Hobbylinc, but it's in worse shape than the first.

box_062212.jpg

tube_062212_1.jpg

tube_062212_2.jpg

Bummer that both deliveries were mashed by the USPS.

Now you know why I bought all those tubes at the last LUNAR launch for $5 a piece.

That is clearly handling damage - was it USPS?

Yeah it was. I still think part of the problem is the way Hobbylinc is packing the boxes. The body tube was so tight in the box, there was nothing it could do but implode. If there had been a little space on either end, the tube may not have crushed.

Bummer that both deliveries were mashed by the USPS.

Now you know why I bought all those tubes at the last LUNAR launch for $5 a piece.

Yeah yeah, you and your $5 tubes! LOL

I should have bought some too. :sigh:

Get you some Blue Tube already!

I should, but it's so expensive!

Ask them to ship in one of those triangle shape boxes. They have been good for me anyway.

I have a 4" glassed LOC tube I could send ya but Im saving it for MY upscaled AlphaIII.:p

Back