You might be a rocket geek if...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you're a ricket geek when you see random objects and think how high you could launch them in the air! Yes I do do this all of the time.

The people at your local thrift store have your number on speed dial so they can call you with things they think you can use for 'that rocket hobby thing of yours'. True story! (much to the embarrassment of my wife) I picked up a16" X 2"(?) HDPE mortar tube complete with base for a buck last week!

When I say "I'm going to the store with my 40% off coupon" you know exactly which store I'm talking about.

You don't know where you are vacationing until they announce where LDRS will be.

Last edited:
...your kids give you a $100 Hobbylinc gift certificate for fathers day:grin:, thanks guys!

I buy 2 motorcycle helmets, for what I think are good riding reasons; then my wife points out that they look like 'space helmets', and realize that subconciously, thats why I bought them! With a few quality stickers placed over the labels.....Hmmm- HEY STICKER SHOCK! ;) :D

You're having a beer and playing bar trivia when the question comes up, "How many inches in 2000mm?", and you blurt out, "there's about 4 inches in 98mm..."

Ted Apke
TRA 3726

When you look at Renuzit air freshener and see a nose cone!

Last edited:
you look at a 1960s era Black Brant photo next to a building made from brick and look up the size of a normal brick and use it's length as a scale to determine the measurements of the Black Brant

...you wish that there was a Rocket-of-the-Month centerfold in Sport Rocketry magazine. (Yeah, I realize its 6 times a year, but what the heck.)

...you accept payment for services rendered in model rocketry supplies.

...you have a rocket garden in your living room.

...you seldom flinch anymore during catastrophic failures.

...most of your videos on YouTube feature model rockets.

...you can quote the late G. Harry Stine.

...you immediately recognize the flaws in the Saturn V of Apollo 13.

...you have several builds or repairs of models going simultaneously.

...you have used an industrial ventilation fan as a makeshift wind tunnel.

...you have turned in more MESS forms than you can recall.

Last edited:
....if you and your buddy drive 800+ miles to Kansas to see LDRS 30, and don't even bring a rocket to fly.

....your children get a new toy, and say "Daddy, please don't make this into a rocket, like you did the other one!"

....if the people you work with give you the empty plastic wire spools, when you already have at least 2 dozen of them already.

....you are too lazy to go to get the mail, but think nothing of walking 2 miles to retrieve rockets.

....if someone sees the 1010 rail in the back of your car and asks "What's that, a rocket launcher?, haha" and you reply, "Why yes, yes it is a rocket launcher!"

All true.

When your two year old daughter sees a crayon bank in ToysRUs and yells "Rocket...Woosh!!!" (And I haven't even built a crayon rocket yet)...

That's awesome!!!

When you take baby picture of your kids hold your latest build

...or a tail cone! I swear I bought one just for that! (and it leaves the computer room smelling like fresh raspberries too!)

Is that sort of like buying Ice Cubes (gum) in the plastic cup because it looks perfect for a transition between 4 BT50s to a single BT60?

245944.jpg

While driving around, every field you pass you'r nine year old daughter says " hey Papa there's a good field for rocket launching".

Yea Papa, Daddy is done to death, I'm a full fledged non-conformist.

Last edited:
If you include "Builds Hobby Rockets" as professional experience on your Resume.

If you get annoyed by having to explain to your friends...AGAIN... what CP means.

If you try to get motor sponsorship from your employer in exchange for painting the company logo on your rocket.

If you buy your kids each a $100 pair of hikeing boots so they can recover your rockets faster.

If you make your kids share a bedroom so you can have a rocket build/storage room.

If you have ever CA'ed your wife's foot to the floor while putting on fins.

McMaster Carr sends you a personalized xmas card.

The key reason to rule out a new home is the workshop is too small.

When the baby has no talcum powder. When the attic has no insulation, When you underwear has no elastic.

You know you are addicted to HPR when you realize that you have replaced the elastic in the underwear with tubular nylon and have a nomex pad to stop scorchmarks.

If you get all upset at the Big Bang Theory (the scene where they get kicked out of the park for launching a model rocket) because the Saturn V rocket they are carrying is a plastic toy.

If you give your very senior high power rocket buddy a package of baby wipes, some A&D ointment and a bag of Depends, and to everyone's amazement he is very happy. At the next launch it is fun to see the club President walking down the line chastising the older member -"no more diapers for heat shields!" Any resemblence of the previous comment to actual events is merely coincidental.

.....you keep coming back to this thread to laugh your tail off at some of the funny crap you guys wrote.:rofl:

Back