You might be a rocket geek if...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... if you use your sons cast iron 10lb weight for a nose cone weight...

...if you throw away your bed to make room for your rockets...(guilty!)

...if you spend all day on Ebay looking for a deal on a OOP rocket...

...if you spend more time on RockSim designing rockets than actually building them... and so on

You seem to get into arguments EVERY 5 MINUTES about how rocketry is better than something else... (just got into an argument on FB on how rocketry is better than ice hockey.... :p)

You seem to get into arguments EVERY 5 MINUTES about how rocketry is better than something else... (just got into an argument on FB on how rocketry is better than ice hockey.... :p)
I have just about weekly arguments with my sister about why rocketry is better than her "hobby" of collecting (playing with) Playmobile. It seems to be a perpetual cycle...

Nate

You have no issue dumping $200 on motors because you are getting them on a discount.

...if you are too busy trying to build HPR, LPR and RCBG to even know what people are arguing about online...

You find an altimeter in your first aid kit because that's where you put it packing up at the lake and everything was loaded except the rockets you had to breakdown to fit.

...if when you your parents ask if you want to go out to eat with them you have to deny because the 30 minute epoxy only has 10 minutes left and there's a launch tomorrow.

Oh I've done that before :)

If your mom no longer cares that you stay up skyping rocketry friends all night.
You got asked to TA an Aerospace camp and you're younger than most of the people in it.

you skip out on work the day before a launch to prepare all your rockets.

Umm I took a day off work before Southern Thunder for just that exact reason.

You stay up till 3 am to finish a rocket, drive 3 hours to the launch, lose it to the rocket trees, and still call it a good day.

You have more rocket kits unbuilt than your wife has shoes (or dresses).

You completely gutted your workshop and you still have more rocket crap than you know what to do with.

Painting your room is hard, not because of the furniture that has to move, but because of all the rocket stuff there!!

Nate

You come home from a full week of launching rockets at NARAM an immediately bring up the rocketry forum to see what you missed. :)

You might be a rocket geek if you went to Lowes 3-Saturdays in a row, and spent $200 on rocket stuff... not home improvements or lawn and garden, but 100% rocket stuff. OH! and I love the look on the tellers face when you tell just that.

You're spent more than an hour...

...locating a rocket in a field/desert
...getting a rocket out of a tree or off someone's roof
...digging a rocket out of the ground
...deciding on the best delay for a motor
...filling spirals
...hating spirals
...filling same cursed spirals again

While buying some West and the clerk at Strictly Sail asks you, "What vessel do you pilot?" and your response is a totally non-embarrassed, and deadly serious, "Velociraptor." And you look at the clerk like HE's crazy.

They are. That's why I don't worry about them. Flying rockets really don't need spiral filling. Museum models, that's different.

Well, the hobby has room for all types...fly them naked and enjoy or spend a hundred hours and astonish others (and fear launching). Either way, you can build to the level you are happy with. For me, spirals kind of mess up the nice straight lines of the rocket. For the few I didn't fill, I regret not doing it every time I see the rocket.

BTW - You might be a rocket geek if you make several OT posts about spirals. lol

I always figured spirals were a b**ch! :D
I appreciate the knowledge I find from all the members on TRF. I would have never known to fill spirals until I have seen some very nice models with them filled. When I was younger, I was happy to just get it built as per instructions and head off to launch it because it was my only rocket. Now I have more patients, time and resources to make nice models that I was unable to as a kid. Yes, spirals are a B**ch to fill and probably my least favorite of the whole build process. I have to go over and over them to completely fill the gap to rid the Christmas wrapping paper tube look.
I just started using epoxy on the engine mounts because the shrinkage line from the glue ring looks bad to.

Back