polcat 5.5" mercury redstone building advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rocket Kid

Reaction score
So recently I bought a polcate aerospace 5.5" mercury redstone:cool: so I wanted to know if anyone has any building advice for me!?

Man I'd love to pick one of those up.

I recently built a Polecat 5.5 inch Nike Smoke. (Here)

The tubes are great quality, and all the parts fit just perfectly! I can see the redstone being a more difficult build, but polecat kits are a breeze, even when fiberglassing the fins like I did.

My advice: Sand everything that will be bonded very well, and have fun!

Braden

Man I'd love to pick one of those up.

I recently built a Polecat 5.5 inch Nike Smoke. (Here)

The tubes are great quality, and all the parts fit just perfectly! I can see the redstone being a more difficult build, but polecat kits are a breeze, even when fiberglassing the fins like I did.

My advice: Sand everything that will be bonded very well, and have fun!

Braden

Man that is a nice looking rocket.Cool paint job love the green fins.How did the launch go?

Im guessing you at least have an L1, L2 would be better, that thing's a little heavy for a G motor.

Alex

Thank you, It actually still has not had a chance to fly, I've got the charges already made from the first time we went to launch, and it's K740 C-star sitting in our box!

Braden

Thank you, It actually still has not had a chance to fly, I've got the charges already made from the first time we went to launch, and it's K740 C-star sitting in our box!

Braden

Thats a nice motor.Hope you get to launch it soon!

So I've had the kit for about a week and today I finaly made some actual progress. I built the escape tower.Can't figure out how to post pictures:( otherwise I would.
But tomorow maybe I'll work on it some more:D
Thats all for now!

Do any of you guys have a rocksim file for this?I have already check rocket reviews library and had no luck.

Okay, I know...resurrecting an old thread, but what "scale" would the 5.5" Polecat Mercury Redstone be?

I'm contemplating a stand-off-scale Little Joe using https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285664, which is a 5.5" Mercury Capsule for the Polecat Mercury Redstone, and while I know I'll need a 5.5" body tube, I'll need to figure out the body tube length and fins.

Okay, I found some drawings and the 1:1 Little Joe 5B is 2.03m in diameter, so that (if my math is correct) makes a 5.5" airframe about 1:14.54545454... scale. Sound right?

Last edited:
Okay, I know...resurrecting an old thread, but what "scale" would the 5.5" Polecat Mercury Redstone be?

I'm contemplating a stand-off-scale Little Joe using https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285664, which is a 5.5" Mercury Capsule for the Polecat Mercury Redstone, and while I know I'll need a 5.5" body tube, I'll need to figure out the body tube length and fins.

Jonathan,

NOTE : The REDSTONE dimensions are in CALIBERS ( multiples of body diameter ) . . . In this case, 1 "Caliber" = 70 Inches !

I love old threads . . . Especially updating them !

Dave F.

MERCURY ESCAPE TOWER - LARGE.jpg

Redstone early geometry.jpg

FIN DETAILS - IN CALIBERS.jpg

McDonnell 3-view - LARGE.jpg

Mercury_3_View - LARGE.jpg

mercury redstone.jpg

Last edited:
I have one and I think it’s 1/17 but will look at instructions when I get home.

Tim, can you give me the length of the body tube?

I can figure out and design a set of fins with Dave's diagrams, but I'm thinking ~49" for the body tube.

Tim, can you give me the length of the body tube?

I can figure out and design a set of fins with Dave's diagrams, but I'm thinking ~49" for the body tube.

RE-CHECK your "Math" on the Body Tube length !

Fin Unit is 9.27 ft = 111.24 inches

Mid-Section is 37.5 ft = 450 inches

Upper Section is 139.64 inches

111.24 + 450 + 139.64 = 700.88

The Airframe "Tube" is 700.88" long, according to this data

NOTE : Peter Alway's data shows the length at 688.4 inches, in ROTW.

Dave F.

mercury redstone.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting 686.38006" because we have to take the 14.49994" of fin that extends below the "body tube" :)

Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to check and see...does anyone have the specs/instructions for the Polecat 5.5" Mercury Redstone or know where I can get them? I've been trying to figure out if I can clone one. I take it the body tube is good 'ole LOC 5.5"?

Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to check and see...does anyone have the specs/instructions for the Polecat 5.5" Mercury Redstone or know where I can get them? I've been trying to figure out if I can clone one. I take it the body tube is good 'ole LOC 5.5"?
I will take a look and see if I can find my instructions. It’s not loc tube. It’s glassed over cardboard.

Back