Anniversary present -- what would you pick?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
My anniversary is coming up in a few weeks and my wife says she wants to buy something for my workshop. :)

I'm not a big "tool guy", but I get by. I have a full complement of hand and small power tools. I also have ready access to a large drill press, band saw, table saw, etc. at my father-in-law's house a few miles away. First thing that came to mind was a metal lathe to turn graphite nozzles and research motor closures, but at $1000 - $2000 for a decent one, this is probably excessive. After thinking a bit, I am considering this Bench Dog router table. I use a router and Jasper jigs to cut centering rings, but thought a router table would open up other options like accurately cutting large fins, airframe fin slots, beveling, etc. One note, although I have a dedicated rocket workshop, I want to be space efficient with any choice (leaving more room for monster airframes ;)). So, before a final decision is made, I wanted to get any suggestions from those that are more "tool savvy." Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure that's the table my dad had. If so, it's a really nice setup

Is your shop air conditioned? If not, you should consider adding a fan to that table to keep the router cool on summer days

Kevin, thanks for the feedback. Yes, my workshop is air conditioned / heated.

Pretty sure that's the table my dad had. If so, it's a really nice setup

Is your shop air conditioned? If not, you should consider adding a fan to that table to keep the router cool on summer days

Finally got this assembled and set up. Fits better on a lower table (at least compared to the tallish benches I have in my workshop) so I purchased a stand on sale at Harbor Freight and did some mods to my liking.

037 (960x1280).jpg

Ended up getting a Hitachi variable speed router and adjustable lift for good measure. Now I just have to learn how to use it all.

039 (1280x960).jpg

Last edited:
If you're using the router in the garage, and it gets warm there, I'd suggest installing a vent fan -- when we were doing the Delta III fins, it was pretty darned warm out, and the router got very toasty inside that closed cabinet!

-Kevin

Sweet. Routers are my favorite. So much can be done with such a versatile tool. You will want to hook up a shop vac behind the bit and fence and then take a look at this switch to control both the router and shopvac https://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17401&site=ROCKLER

I hope that Hitachi also accepts 1/2" bits. You can really push some lumber on a router table and the 1/2" bits are better than 1/4".

What are you looking to do with this for your hobbies?

Back