Launch Lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geodehunter

Reaction score
What's the most popular launch lugs being used at most launch sites? If you could show a pic and a place to buy them would be greatly appreciated.

LPR - just standard 1/8 and 3/16.

MPR - HPR rails are perferred. Get rail buttons 1010 or 1515 rail. 1/4 and 1/2 are used by some clubs still. Find out where you plan to fly and what kind or equipment the club has.. Larger launches LDRS, Reg Glare, etc I'd expect to use mainly rails.

It's really nothing more than something that will slide over a given diameter rod. Estes sells packs of them in the standard sizes of 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" - those are pretty much the standard sizes for various size models. I can't remember the last time I bought a launch lug, there always seems to be something lying around that fits the bill.

Here is a pic of the lugs that are on the rocket. Are these still being used or do I need to change them out. Thanks

P1010151.jpg

Those are "conformal rail guides" - they can be used, if you have access to a rail. I don't care much for them myself, the metal-on-metal is rough on equipment.

Every club will have a rail that can accept those rail guides. They are used on a 1010 rail, which is 1" X 1". No need to change.

--Lance.

That might be slightly overstating the case... though MOST clubs probably have a rail...
Later! OL JR :)

I've used regular drinking straws with good success... they're somewhat oversize (especially since they've started making straws HUGE to make it easier to slurp thick shakes up them!) but that really doesn't matter... the whole idea of the launch lug is just to keep the rocket pointing nose up until it reaches flight speed... if it's a little "loose" on the rod so much the better actually... CERTAINLY better than being "too tight!" and binding up or hanging up on the rod!!!

Gotta be careful gluing them on though... use good fillets... or wrap them in paper you've glued to the outside...

Semroc is probably the cheapest source of tubes, lugs, and other such parts... and their service is excellent...

You CAN buy "parts packs" (little plastic baggies with some launch lugs in them) from the local hobby shop but they tend to be rather rediculously priced for what you get...

Rolling your own, as someone else mentioned, isn't too hard either...

Later! OL JR :)

For the little stuff, I just bought 100 packs from balsa machining and don't have to worry. I use Loc precision 1/4" for smaller MPR. Then rail buttons for anything much bigger (various sources). I'd only use Loc 1/2" if the club did not have rails. Back in the day, LOC Magnums did ok with 1/2 rods on J-K motors. Just with rod whip, rails are a better choice.

Back