Estes - Leviathan (#9700) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion

Reaction score
My newest addition to my fleet.
attachment.php

Added note: I flew this rocket on a G40-7 today (6/17/2012) for the first time. It didn't need the full seven seconds, but did all right.

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY NICE! I have mine all built and primered but cannot seem to figure out how I want to paint it ... always my sticking point. :(

I printed the decals for mine. I was expecting decals to come with the kit, but I did not find any.

If I were to do it again, I'd use a dark metalic paint for the top section.

215.JPG
Here was my Leviathan before it found its way into the pond in the park. Working on tha Partizon now.

Oh NOOOOOOOO! Not good ... sorry about the loss. I liked that paint/decal on that too.

This was my favorite rocket until I built the Estes Ventris. My Leviathan hit 1920ft on and Estes G80-7t on it's first flight. Very fun rocket to launch.
GatorExpress.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Leviathan (#9700) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the EstesLeviathan (#9700) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Leviathan: #9700

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Leviathan (#9700) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Leviathan Also known as: Pro Series II Leviathan

NUMBER: #9700

Introduced: 2011
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 41.5 in. (105.4 cm)
Diameter: 3 in. (7.6 cm)
Span:
Weight: 17.5 oz. (496.1 g)

Mfg. Description: Pro Series II

Fantastic is what the Leviathan is! Introduced in 2011, the Pro Series II line features "big boy" toys!

The Leviathan launches on composite motors and has through the wall fin mounting. An awesome feature to this series is the new quick release motor retention system (Motor Retainer Set - also sold separately). Though massive looking, the construction of this kit is not difficult. Building and finish work can easily be accomplished over a few days.

Sure to be a crowd pleaser, the Leviathan is just waiting to be added to your collection! (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-leviathan%209700-2012%20cat%20livery.jpg
2012 Catalog
estes-leviathan%209700-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad
estes-leviathan%209700-2012%20painting%20guide.jpg
2012 Painting Guide

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-leviathan%209700-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
closet astronaut
CZ Brat
Davidtmp

TRF Applicable Threads
Leviathan Modifications
Level 1 Certification Success With Estes Leviathan

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here is my recently completed Leviathan before decals and clear coat. Not entirely happy with the paint due to some less than crisp lines but otherwise like the result.
2012-07-07_11-27-39_737 (1).jpg

Nice kit, can't wait to fly it!

DSC00467.jpg

I love the paint scheme on this one! Mind if I steal it? Are those StickerShock23 Decals? Also, was there a specific reasoning behind not having the Black/OD Green transition near the fincan overlap the fincan/body tube transition? I'm thinking if the transition was exactly at the point of transition it would make it near impossible to see the seam.

I love the paint scheme on this one! Mind if I steal it? Are those StickerShock23 Decals? Also, was there a specific reasoning behind not having the Black/OD Green transition near the fincan overlap the fincan/body tube transition? I'm thinking if the transition was exactly at the point of transition it would make it near impossible to see the seam.

Sure go ahead, no problem. Once it was filled and primed the fin can splice was gone, so the stripe was just placed where I thought it looked good.

This is my "Patriothan". It started life as a stock Leviathan, but a rough landing in the hard stuff splintered a fin tip. The splintering was bad enough to where it could not have been repaired easy without adding significant weight, so I made the mod on my Open Rocket file and tested it out. It flies just as straight as the unaltered Leviathan and even added around 100 feet to my flights.

patriothan_1.jpg

On October the 11th, 2012, at 10:30 MDST, 100 Leviathans were launched using G80-7 engines from 100 schools across the state of New Mexico to celebrate the Centennial of New Mexico. The countdown was lead by commander Sunita Williams aboard the ISS. My mid-school class was one of those participating schools.

(Adding a picture of our centennial rocket)
attachment.php

Last edited:
On October the 11th, 2012, at 10:30 MDST, 100 Leviathans were launched using G80-7 engines from 100 schools across the state of New Mexico to celebrate the Centennial of New Mexico. The countdown was lead by commander Sunita Williams aboard the ISS. My mid-school class was one of those participating schools.

Gee, I wish I'd heard about this beforehand (being a New Mexican in exile in Seattle, and with family back in NM still). Neat idea.

Interesting, in reading about this, that the schools each appear to have gotten a Leviathan, a Pro-Series II launch system and a copy of Homer Hickam's book Rocket Boys and a copy of October Sky.

Lots of stories with lots of pictures of groups of kids out there....and at least one that sounds like the rocket went unstable being flown in Santa Fe. I wonder what happened with that one.....

Centennial-Rocket-poster-200x200.jpg

I had not heard that anyone had an unstable rocket. I'll look into it. Thanks,

Orion

There are a couple of online stories about the same one - at Capshaw Middle School in Santa Fe. They don't say, in so many words, that it was unstable, but that's what it sounds like from the description. Here's the Santa Fe New Mexican story: https://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local News/101212rockets#.UHtEmI50FAs That it was found later sans fins makes me wonder if they glued them on!

Last edited:
I found I did have a picture of my Leviathan. Here it is on the pad just before my Level 1 certification flight (CTI H87 three-grain 29mm motor with the delay set to 9 seconds) on August 25th. The Pnut aboard reported an apogee of 2339 feet. It was a picture perfect flight from liftoff to landing :D

Thought I should get back on topic here.....

Leviathan_cert.jpg

I found I did have a picture of my Leviathan. Here it is on the pad just before my Level 1 certification flight (CTI H87 three-grain 29mm motor with the delay set to 9 seconds) on August 25th. The Pnut aboard reported an apogee of 2339 feet. It was a picture perfect flight from liftoff to landing :D

Thought I should get back on topic here.....

Benard

That was a very nice flight.

John

I like that Patriothan so much I am going to do that from the start.

How much did you trim, looks like it is just the bit of fin below the rocket.

The Laviathan looks like a rocket that will be a great platform for mods.

Can't wait to get mine finished now.

Here is my completed Leviathan with decal from StickerShock.

ForumRunner_20130422_224515.jpg

I have no idea why my picture is turned this way and if anyone can fix it, please do so.

Last edited:
IMG_2091.jpg

For the Nose cone and upper pattern I used Rustoleum Colorshift, it changes from Blue-Purple-Green....

Last edited:
Thanks, Still have to finish some pinstriping but other than that is done, looks alot better in pics than in person! Not very clean masking lines, but thats something I am working on getting better at

Back