29mm Motor Retainers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe rocket

Reaction score
Hi, I was curious to know if any of you have suggestions of making your own (homemade) 29mm motor retainers for your rockets.? Any creative ideas would be great . Thanks everyone.!

IIf you have a drillpress,all you need is a wheel and circle cutter,then install t-nuts and make your own clips.See any of qquakes 2 build theads and you'll see how he installs the t-nuts.He uses a hole saw instead of a wheel cutter,but these work out well and only cost a few dollars.

I have one.. simple and very easy, Tomorrow I will post pics of the last 2 29 mm birds I scratched built...

Works great with little weight.

Tom

The photo shows 2 different styles that I have made.

For my first midpower rocket I installed 3 T-nuts in the rear bulkhead and cut a big washer out of a piece of sheet aluminum. Put the motor in then bolt on the big washer with 3 long bolts.

Later I tried a simpler one with only 2 T-nuts and instead of a big aluminum washer I just bent a piece of wire such that the 2 bolts would hold it in place as shown in the photo.

IMG_2100a.jpg

Here is what I do for my 29 mm motor retention.. Its somewhat light, and works well. Feel free to ask any questions you have. Here are what my 29 mm birds use for motor renention. Pic 1 is the "blue print" I made in MSPAINT... obviously im not an artist.
Number 2 is that drawing in the rocket.. Number 3 is another 29mm bird I only used paper, tube coupler and an estes engine retainer. I bent the top tab backwards, taped, and glued it to the paper wrap Take your 29mm motor, wrap paper around the tube, bend top of engine hook,tape, glue and wrap again, Once done, remove motor and C.A. the paper with thin C.A. Epoxy inside of tube, and insert paper mount... and done.

The blue bird survived a free fall from 2,000 feet, rear end first with no damage to engine retention. It was burried up to the top of the fins.... DEEP!!! Id say it passed my test...
29mm motor mount.jpg29mm retention1.jpg29mm retention3.jpg29mm retention3.jpgbluebird2.jpg

Last edited:
Back