TRF Logo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filler work has been started to hide the centering rings on the nose cone and boattail.

Also begain removing material for fin slots.

Is that line of drill holes curved on purpose or is that an accident or an illusion?

Is that line of drill holes curved on purpose or is that an accident or an illusion?

Looks like he drew a box around the area he needs to clean out, then used the drill to remove a large portion of the material. My guess is a rasp and/or sandpaper is being used to do the final touches.

So, the fact that they're not straight doesn't matter.

-Kevin

Looks like he drew a box around the area he needs to clean out, then used the drill to remove a large portion of the material. My guess is a rasp and/or sandpaper is being used to do the final touches.

-Kevin

I think you are right - the slot he posted later looks normal. At first I thought it was an illusion or that he was intentionally curving the slot to add some spin to help with stability.

-Kevin

I think you are right - the slot he posted later looks normal. At first I thought it was an illusion or that he was intentionally curving the slot to add some spin to help with stability.

I see ya'all got that worked out among'st yourselves. :grin:

And of course some thru the boattail fins are needed to fill the slotted boattail.

More body work is still needed.

TRF logo rocket 013.jpg

TRF logo rocket 020.jpg

Attachments

• TRF logo rocket 012.jpg
    TRF logo rocket 012.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 29
  • TRF logo rocket 019.jpg
    TRF logo rocket 019.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The leading edges of the fins were rounded off and the body work is done. Construction of the logo rocket is completed.

TRF logo rocket 020.jpg

TRF logo rocket 027.jpg

Rocketry_Forum_logo_shadow.png

Don't have a paint booth, and the paint booth I don't have dosen't have a carousel.

I wrap masking tape around the end of a PVC pipe until it fits snugly in the motor tube, then rotate the the piece being primerd with one hand and spray paint with the other. This is done outside with all the neighborhood bugs in attendance.

After painting, the piece has to be left untouched while drying. The PVC pipe is placed into a plastic milk jug with several pounds of gravel on the bottom of the jug, preventing everything from tipping over.

TRF logo rocket 029.jpg

TRF logo rocket 032.jpg

TRF logo rocket 053.jpg

Last edited:
Same thing is done for the nose cone 'cept a BT-60 with a wrap of newspaper is used instead of PVC pipe.

Also, a wide mouth 1 gallon glass jar is use inplace of a milk jug.

TRF logo rocket 030.jpg

TRF logo rocket 031.jpg

The grainy texture of the grey primer was wet sanded until smooth.

TRF logo rocket 034.jpg

That is fantastic. Very clean build and perfect scale from my view.

How much do you think it will weigh?

Wet Sand? I just need to sand period. Then maybe wet sand. What is the key to wetsanding?

Wet Sand? I just need to sand period. Then maybe wet sand. What is the key to wetsanding?

The key? I'd say it's key to stop sanding before you sand thru the coat of paint your smoothing out. :grin:

That is fantastic. Very clean build and perfect scale from my view.

How much do you think it will weigh?

Thanks. All the seprate pieces weigh'd in at 6.3 oz.

I'd guess the final weight to be half to three quarters of a pound or so. But I'm concernd about looks, not weight.

Last edited:
Thanks. All the seprate pieces weigh'd in at 6.3 oz.

I'd guess the final weight to be half to three quarters of a pound or so. But I'm concernd about looks, not weight.

I agree; painting is hard, but stuffing a bigger motor in it is easy! :D
Good job on the build, it looks great! To be honest, I would not be surprised to see you win the contest. :)

I forget... how is the contenst to be judged? A poll of eligible entries? Or the Admin/mods?

There's a thread with a post explaining it in 'The Watering Hole'.

Last edited:
In the past I've had trouble getting a clean change of color paint line around the top of the fin and were the body tube meet.

So I gave this idea a try...

TRF logo rocket 037.jpg

Last edited:
First, to get the masking to do what I wanted it to do, the top of the fin was drawn to scale.

Then the drawing was coverd with clear tape.

A piece of the masking material was placed over the drawing and cut with an x-acto.

The mask can be peeled of the clear tape and transfered to the rocket.

TRF logo rocket 035.jpg

TRF logo rocket 040.jpg

TRF logo rocket 036.jpg

Attachments

• TRF logo rocket 037.jpg
    TRF logo rocket 037.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
These are the tools used to place, adjust and rub the edges of the mask down.

TRF logo rocket 041.jpg

First, to get the masking to do what I wanted it to do, the top of the fin was drawn to scale.

Then the drawing was coverd with clear tape.

A piece of the masking material was placed over the drawing and cut with an x-acto.

The mask can be peeled of the clear tape and transfered to the rocket.

Pretty clever. I've used a hole punch to put a half hole in the edge of masking tape, but it's not as exact as your method.

Back