TRF Logo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradycros

Reaction score
There's pieces of the TRF logo rocket hiding in these chunks'a balsa wood.

TRF logo rocket 001.jpg

Last edited:
All you have to do is remove everything that doesn't look like the logo! Sounds pretty simple to me, but then my marble statue of an elephant looks more like a Siamese cat, so what do I know??

Balsa Penatrating Radar revealed this nose cone cleverly concealing itself in one of the chunks of balsa.

TRF logo rocket 003.jpg

Last edited:
Balsa penatrating radar revealed this nose cone cleverly concealing itself in one of the chunks of balsa.
Hmm-looks better then my elephant-nice job! I think there was only two prototypes of the BPR hardware made by DARPA when we were under intense surveillance as possible terrorists...glad you got one!:handshake:

Hmm-looks better then my elephant-nice job! I think there was only two prototypes of the BPR hardware made by DARPA when we were under intense surveillance as possible terrorists...glad you got one!:handshake:

Is this DARPA something I should be concerned with? Strange things have been happening lately.
Nobodys gett'n their hands on the BPR!

accidents09.jpg

accidents04.jpg

Is this DARPA something I should be concerned with? Strange things have been happening lately.
Nobodys gett'n their hands on the BPR!
Nothing to worry about. Could you speak into the table lamp a little clearer, please?
Caption No.1="How to Fold Your Car"
Caption No.2="There is No Place to Run to in a Boat"

After the Balsa Penatrating Radar ran a self diagnostic test the search frequncey was recalibrated. A matching boat tail for the nose cone was found lurking in another chunk'a balsa.

TRF logo rocket 002.jpg

TRF logo rocket 003.jpg

Attachments

• TRF logo rocket 001.jpg
    TRF logo rocket 001.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 32
Hey, the Balsa Penetrating Radar is magical!
WHere do I get one??

After the Balsa Penatrating Radar ran a self diagnostic test the search frequncey was recalibrated. A matching boat tail for the nose cone was found lurking in another chunk'a balsa.

That's some pretty nice radar skill you've got there!

-Kevin

I really like this approach! What is the maximum diameter you are aiming for?

Hey, the Balsa Penetrating Radar is magical!
WHere do I get one??

A thorough background investigation needs to be conducted by several govermental agencies working in a coordinated effort.

You'll need to be indoctrinated to an SCI (Secret Compartmented Information) level security clearance.

Your "Need to Know" must be established and verified.

This type of information can only be transfered in a SCIF (Secret Compartmented Information Facility).

Should you meet all requirments and certifications, then pass the information to unauthorized personnel, you will be "Discharged" by a secretive govermental agency.

accidents01.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, if it becomes known you cannot keep a secret then your 'capacity' has been exceeded. Thus 'capacity discharge' occurs. Do not ask me how I know this, but my left toe still blinks in the dark every once in awhile. I underwent a lot of Special High Intensity Training to get my position back. BTW- the boattail is awesome! What motor tube are you going to run? Did you bore the raw stock before turning? Your part offs looks really clean!

Last edited:
FYI, if it becomes known you cannot keep a secret then your 'capacity' has been exceeded. Thus 'capacity discharge' occurs. Do not ask me how I know this, but my left toe still blinks in the dark every once in awhile. I underwent a lot of Special High Intensity Training to get my position back. BTW- the boattail is awesome! What motor tube are you going to run? Did you bore the raw stock before turning? Your part offs looks really clean!

Is the Special High Intensity Training still forceably conducted at the Bog of Stench site? Talk about discharge, whew!

The boattail turned out well. Thank you for saying so. The boattail will be sporting a 24mm motor tube and was bored out after being turned.

What process did you use to decide whether to turn the boattail then bore it out, versus making the hole first, putting in a dowel, then turning it?

I wouldn't trust myself to get the hole properly centered in the pre-turned piece, but then again I don't have as many tricks up my sleeve.

That's some pretty nice radar skill you've got there!

-Kevin

Here at Brady Industries, radar skill and radar safety go hand in hand. Below is a photo of the radar operator with his RF protection in place.

1250-140.jpg

What process did you use to decide whether to turn the boattail then bore it out, versus making the hole first, putting in a dowel, then turning it?

I wouldn't trust myself to get the hole properly centered in the pre-turned piece, but then again I don't have as many tricks up my sleeve.

There's a process?

That's a really bizarre picture!

He looked like this before using RF protection.

my-owner-is-an-idiot14.jpg

The nose cone is hollowed out. It will now accept BT-70 and BT-60 tubes, centering rings, bulkhead and an eye bolt.

One of two hand made centering rings with a 3" o.d. and a BT-70 i.d. is already attached to the base of the nose cone.

TRF logo rocket 004.jpg

Last edited:
Gary Byrum said:
I'd be really interested in knowing what you used to bore out the boattail. I have my methods but I wanna know yours.

LW Bercini said:
+1 -- another vote for "show us how you did that!"

Troj said:
I would prefer that the details required to build your version not be published. Some build photos showing progress would be cool, but templates, all the details, etc, preferably not.

The reason being that I've got a manufacturer working on a kit, and obviously, he'd like to be able to sell some, to make it worth his time.

It would be contest suicide to disreguard the preferences of the judge. Ask about material removal again after the restriction on details is no longer a deciding factor in the outcome of the project.

Last edited:
The dog did it. Love your pooch! What a buddy! Obviously more talented than mine. I tried to teach him to solder, but he kept whining about it. Plus the smell of burning hair kinda put me off a bit. Maybe he woulda done better with the lathe...but then, he was an old dog...

It would be contest suicide to disreguard the preferences of the judge. Ask about material removal again after the restriction on details is no longer a deciding factor in the outcome of the project.

I understand. Probably wiser to stay tight lipped since there are others building in this contest. I for one am not so I'll get back to you when the contest is over.

These parts, made for the interior of the balsa nose cone will lend a much, over all, beefier structure after being glued together.

TRF logo rocket 006.jpg

Last edited:
TMI, dude! You shoulda put a spagetti strainer or maybe a 3/8-1/4 socket adapter in there to throw off the scent. Throw in a pic of a Corvair radiator cap next time to confuse the competition-jes' sayin'....

TMI, dude! You shoulda put a spagetti strainer or maybe a 3/8-1/4 socket adapter in there to throw off the scent. Throw in a pic of a Corvair radiator cap next time to confuse the competition-jes' sayin'....

:D I like the way you think!

Back