Anyone use 5/32 rods?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10fttall

Reaction score
I am purchasing new 3/16" and 1/4" rods- nice and long and all one piece, from my local metal supplier. They don't have any 1/8 stainless, but they do carry 5/32" for a very reasonable price. Has anyone used this size? Would it grab the lugs? I've not seen it in person- I've only inquired over the phone. Just wondering if anyone has used this successfully.

My guess is a 5/32" rod would indeed be very snug in a 1/8" lug. You might get away with it since launch lugs are usually made of somewhat pilable materials but more than likely the fit would be very tight which of course you do not want.

A quick Google shows Home Depot listing 1/8 x 48" steel rods for $2.97.

Yeah, I guess it probably wouldn't work out very well. I was just wondering because it would be so easy to get one when I'm there in person anyway, and I'm looking to get a nice stainless 72" rod.

Yeah, I guess it probably wouldn't work out very well. I was just wondering because it would be so easy to get one when I'm there in person anyway, and I'm looking to get a nice stainless 72" rod.

I'm not sure I would go with a 1/8" rod 72" long -- unless it was titanium or something considerably stiffer than steel.

When I've seen 1/8" rods longer than 4 feet, rod whip starts to be a major factor, especially on heavier rockets.

Troo dat.

Even 6'x1/4" rods tend to be a little flexible. My preference is for a 6'x3/8" launch rod but that requires planning ahead when building the rocket. I've used 7/16" K&S brass tubing for the lugs and have had no problems.

Several of my rockets have launch lugs of different sizes to accomodate whatever launch pad is available.

Back