Estes Sonic Igniter Pro Series II Igniters suck!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a 100% success rate on the new pro series II igniters, on everything from D reloads and SU motors to a G76 reload. All you gotta do is bend the tip and then -REDACTED- I realized there may be people reading this that might not realize that is not a smart idea what so ever.

Last edited:
I initially had good success with these. Not so much recently. I am near 100% (5 of 6) failure over the last 2 weeks. I am going to try and redip them in magnelite.

I have a few of these left I may re-dip in my own pyrogen. hummm...

TA

I thought it was a bad thing to re-dip igniters...at least the instructions for my FireStar kit warned not to re-dip.

Fwiw: I have used about one dozen sonic ignitors in a variety of single use D and E aerotech engines with only one failure, and that was user error not getting the ignitor all the way in (actually , it was all the way in but I didnt secure it properly and it came out a bit). I use a 12 V jump pack and 16 gauge wire.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of bad things about them. They don't like them at our club. I have used 2 successfully and 1 unsuccessfully. So I can't say they are as bad as some say.

I have had a 100% success rate on the new pro series II igniters, on everything from D reloads and SU motors to a G76 reload. All you gotta do is bend the tip of the igniter and pour a little FFFFg BP into the nozzle first.

NO! Please remove this comment. Quite a dangerous practice.

Back