Estes Laser Lance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Here is my new build, the Estes Laser Lance great parts and easy build. I will let the glue dry then begin the priming process.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Hmm, those look like the Scram fins that a lot of people liked so much. Are they?

This is a great flier, but may I recommend a LOT of wadding and a LOT of shock cord, preferably Kevlar. I kept having problems with mine separating at ejection via snapping or burning through the cord. I think that because of the length of the nose cone assembly, the recovery apparatus ends up very close to the ejection charge- plus the nose cone assembly has a lot of momentum once it's ejected.

It's a similar configuration, but different. The fins are swept back more on the Laser Lance and are smaller than the ones on the SCRAM.

Here's a BT-50 upscale of the SCRAM for comparison

image-bt-50-scram-600-035512174911950.jpg

Interesting that they're recycling the name... when I read the thread title, I thought "Cool-- Buck Rogers Laser Lance"... must say this is a MUCH nicer looking kit... the fins are sorta SCRAM-ish (though more swept which makes them look cooler than the SCRAM IMHO). The original Buck Rogers Laser Lance used the flat-tipped, double conical nosecone (used on some other kits like the Skylab IIRC) with forward swept fins (again IIRC) that sorta made it look like an RPG...

This kit sorta looks like a "sleek version" of the old one... :)

Later! OL JR :)

Once again I am relying on Filler Primer to fill my balsa and here is what she looks like after the first coat of primer. I don't put the primer on super thick as you can tell, but after one coat I can identify the major issues. I will fill any large problem areas with a filler, then sand everything back and spray another coat of primer.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

I have been real busy with work and summer vacations so building of course has slowed down. After 4 coats of primer and sanding, everything was filled and I shot a coat of Old Krylon White and Tamiya Olive followed by Estes Decals. All and all she was a fun straight forward build. I am still working on a Star Wars Y wing, but the CC Express will be my next Estes rocket.

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0257.JPG

DSC_0258.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

Very nice, very clean.

Don't yo just love it when it comes in the mail,(or pick it up at the store) and you tear open the package, there it is in the bag with the cover page, with all those colors. The excitement builds as you take outall the parts, check'em over and start assembling, going over every piece making sure every thing is perfect. Still feel like a little kid on Christmas morning. Who needs drugs. These kids now days have no clue, sitting inside all day staring at a screen pressing buttons.

Enjoy the build and make sure to include some launch video of her maiden flight.

Just finishing one of these. I really dig the fins. Paint is drying now.

I bought two of these kits on the Estes Special for $3.99 each. That was a heck of a deal. (Looks like they are no longer listed on Estes website.) I have not started but could not resist getting them and saving for a later date.

Definitely not stock color... but I want to be able to see her at 1500+ feet
Capture.jpg

Latest posts

Back