We just returned from the SSS May launch and the weather was excellent ( if a bit warm). We came to fly rockets, and this is how it all started:
Started at 8 am and Sharon went first with her new High flier XL. Didn't get a launch shot but here is the landing:
Since we are both using the same launch equipment, we took turns. I flew my trusty old yellow mongoose next and it turned North off the rod and I had to walk about a quarter mile to retrieve it. Lost the N/C on that flight.
Sharon loaded the Maxi Alpha 3 while I was walking and we tried several times to light the E18 in it. Finally, when it did light, it never came up to full pressure and wobbled of the rod to land nearby like this:
I have a separate thread for repairing that rocket here:
Next I flew my Executioner on a new Estes Pro F26-6FJ with good results, probably 1000 ft. with eject at apogee.
While Sharon was picking up the parts of the Maxi, I flew my "Kick Asspire" made from blue tube and fiberglass N/C on a CTI F59 White Thunder. Used the full 12 second delay and it was real close to apogee when the chute ejected at over 2000 ft.
While Sharon was dissecting the E18 hobbyline, I flew "Salvage 1" on an E9-8. This is another Apogee Aspire that has been rebuilt with old parts for several years now. Good flight and it used all the delay for a perfect apogee ejection.
Here is the E18 that never got going:
In the mean time Brad Evans shot off his Mad Dog "Gooboy" on a CTI K660, and it was awesome:
This is a video, just click on the image to play. So is this next one.
Inspired by that, Sharon decided to fly her LOC Starburst cluster of two E18's. Not much luck there with only one motor igniting and it bellyflopped to the ground:
It cracked a couple of fins on landing, then the ejection charge blew the chute out.
While Sharon dissected these two motors:
I moved out to the HPR rail and shot off my LOC Nuke pro max called "Duke Nukem" on an AT H148 redline. Great launch and although I left the "M" delay alone, it still ejected before apogee at around 2700 ft.
While I was out recovering my "Duke Nukem", Sharon flew two of her rockets, the Eliminator on a D12-5 and the Vagabond on an E9-6. Both rockets did great and I think she was really tired of E18's at this point.
My next flight was the Rag-a-bond, which as many of you know has had a rough life. I recently found that the AT F22-7FJ was a perfect load for this rocket, but unfortunately, I didn't have any left. So I loaded it with the new Estes Pro F26-6FJ and here are the results:
Pretty much a total loss. The motor burned through the MMT, the BT and melted the coupler/baffle. We did salvage the nosecone and recovery system, but everything else was charred. Here is a close up:
We will be sending a Mess report and notify Estes, so maybe another Vagabond with the 29mm MMT will fly again.