Talon 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thread coming back from the grave. :)

The Talon 6 has returned home -- Jay got it painted over the winter, and I picked it up at AirFest. To say the paint looks amazing would be putting it mildly!

I'll post some decent pictures once things dry out a bit outside, so I can lay it down in the grass without it getting muddy.

-Kevin

Here it is, in all its glory!

IMG_3615.jpg

I still need to finish the electronics bay and mount the rail buttons.

-Kevin

That is one beautiful rocket.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

VERY.......very nice!

Jay does really outstanding work, got a firsthand look at many rockets he has painted at Airfest.

That looks amazing Kevin. When are you going to ignite the bird?

It needs rail buttons (which means I need to find the centering rings) an altimeter bay, and I need to size ejection charges (probably shear pins, too)

Hopefully spring!

-Kevin

I don't know if you have previously posted this, but have you decided on a motor?

Not really. Once I've got everything done and I have a final weight, I'll play with sims and see what feels right.

Low and slow is out, as is beating it with a hammer. My gut says something along the lines of an M1400 should be a nice fit, but I haven't simmed it so I don't know for sure.

-Kevin

How high will a Talon 6 fly? I have been looking at videos of this sport and it sure is different than when I did it as a kid..

How high will a Talon 6 fly? I have been looking at videos of this sport and it sure is different than when I did it as a kid..

I don't have sims in front of me but going from memory, the largest motors it'll hold put it up around 9,000 feet.

-Kevin

Where do you have the cg at on that bird? Troj

Right now? Nowhere. :)

'tis marching band season, and I've not had time to finish up the final details. I'll figure out where the CG needs to be then, though it's a known stable design and they've flown several times quite successfully.

-Kevin

Wow...this is a VERY old thread...lol...so many names on here we don't see anymore. Pity.

Loopy, (Mark)

I met Kevin for the first time at LDRS 41 when he Certified my LVL 2 attempt.
Found this old thread and was curious if it ever Flew......... Sure is a NICE looking model

Loopy, (Mark)

I met Kevin for the first time at LDRS 41 when he Certified my LVL 2 attempt.
Found this old thread and was curious if it ever Flew......... Sure is a NICE looking model
I haven't met him...yet...but I remember antics in the old Newton's 3rd forums (may they rest in peace), and loved this build thread as well. Hopefully he pipes up in here!

So.....No, it hasn't flown. Yet.

This is, hands down, the prettiest rocket I own (Jay Bailey did an amazing job on the paint). It deserves to be treated with care.

It's hanging in the garage, in a safe spot. I need to get up the gumption to put the final touches on the av bay, drill through that pretty paint and install rail buttons, and let it fly.

-Kevin

I built a 2" Talon recently and was really unimpressed.

Troj's Talon here though is a thing of beauty.

So.....No, it hasn't flown. Yet.

This is, hands down, the prettiest rocket I own (Jay Bailey did an amazing job on the paint). It deserves to be treated with care.

It's hanging in the garage, in a safe spot. I need to get up the gumption to put the final touches on the av bay, drill through that pretty paint and install rail buttons, and let it fly.

-Kevin
I would say that 9 years is long enough for the paint to cure...

Back