NCR - SA-14 Archer (K-76) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dseter

Reaction score
Actually recently refurbished with touch up paint job and new vinyl decals from Mark at Stickershock.

Archer.jpg

Archerlanded.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Held one of these kits in my hands last Saturday. Unopened. The silent auction opening bid was $30 and it went for $35.

Held one of these kits in my hands last Saturday. Unopened. The silent auction opening bid was $30 and it went for $35.

Someone got a great deal. I have been looking for an Archer kit for a few months now without any luck. I guess I will end up scratch building one.

Well Oldtimer what a cool looking Model there...... I am getting closer to paint on my Public Enemy SA-14 Archer

This is My first High Power Model. 4" Diameter, 38mm Motor Mount and about 63" tall.....
100_6952.jpg

Well Oldtimer what a cool looking Model there...... I am getting closer to paint on my Public Enemy SA-14 Archer

This is My first High Power Model. 4" Diameter, 38mm Motor Mount and about 63" tall.....
View attachment 84585

Whoa- looking good there, is that a recent kit from Public Enemy or one you've had around awhile? I still have some decals to add to mine but am so busy building others now. Can't wait to see your final result!

Yes oldtimer i got the kit from Ebay a few years ago and have been working on it slowly now for afew months. It is all primered now and slowly but surely I am getting the fillets and stufff smoothed out and ready for the gloss white. Mark at s
sticker shock has made me some nice looking graphics.........

I will send another pic of it soon

Glasspack

Is the SA 14 Archer based upon a real prototype or is it just a figment (albeit and nice figment) of the NCR imagination?

Is the SA 14 Archer based upon a real prototype or is it just a figment (albeit and nice figment) of the NCR imagination?
According to the 1996 NCRbE catalog it is "patterned after a prototype ship-to-air missile being developed for NATO".

For those of you looking to get your hands on your own SA-14 Archer, it's coming back.

Please keep in mind that the original NCR Archer was a 4" tube. Matt is bringing several kits back, but they are based on a 2.6" tube. I am guessing that the nose cones are easier to obtain.
The Archer was based on the Standard Missile used by the U.S. Navy and several navies around the world. Matt has worked for various defense contractors, so I am sure it is based on a proposal for a NATO standard missile.
I cut a lot of fins and centering rings for the original SA-14 Archers back in the early '90s. Laser cutters are a beautiful thing....

Chas

Good to know they are 2.6." I plan on picking the new kits up either way when he releases them. I know how hard the old stuff is to source – I cloned a Lance Beta. That's 3" and hard to find. Luckily Estes is still using the nose cone for Big Daddy kits and Apogee sells 3" body tube. I had to make my own coupler though.

This definitely looks Archer-ish:
US_Navy_110620-O-ZZ999-002_A_Standard_Missile_%28SM_2%29_is_fired_from_HMAS_Sydney_%28FFG_3%29_during_a_live-fire_exercise_near_the_Pacific_Missile_Range_o.jpg

Welcome to the NCR SA-14 Archer (K-76) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the NCR SA-14 Archer (K-76) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

North Coast Rocketry: SA-14 Archer: K-76

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
NCR SA-14 Archer (K-76) Basic Information.

ncr.gif
North Coast Rocketry (NCR)

MODEL NAME: SA-14 Archer Also known as:

NUMBER: K-76

Introduced: 1990
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Pseudo Scale
Motor Mount: 2x24mm + 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 50"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 28 oz

Mfg. Description: The SA-14 Archer is patterned after a prototype ship-to-air missile being developed for NATO. The large size and detailing are certain to attract a lot of attention. The SA-14 Archer includes balsa strakes, plywood fins and multicolor decals. The kit also features a core 29mm motor with twin 24mm mounts for extra versatility in choosing motor combinations; it can be flown both in single motor and cluster configurations. (NCR 1990 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

ncr-sa%2014%20archer%20k76-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
1990 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I would like to thank Matt for his work in the rocketry world and for bringing back North coast Rocketry. I bought an older model of his - the BH2000 a few months ago on Ebay, and we talked (Just a line or two) about him getting NCR back up and running. Years ago when I was younger I loved the NCR line and Still do. I look forward to seeing this get off the ground. The new kits look AWESOME... I am going to buy the "Lance Delta" as soon as I can..... I am still upset I missed the Ebay auction on that one !!

My SA-14 is from Public Enemy years ago. Its a 4" Diameter, 63" model with a 38MM Motor Mount. Here is what it looks like so far...........

126_7137 Resized.jpg

I added a Wire tunnel for looks and four pressure vent holes just below the payload bay coupler to hopefully keep from seperating the top half too early if I ever fly it high and/or fast.

Also, I plan to hold the nose cone in place with four plastic rivets from Apogee Rockets because I like the looks and texture they add. Also There is no reason yet for it to separate at this point since it will not be a dual deploy for the Certification flight or the first few flights. That too is in the wings waiting.

The decals are just waiting for the white paint as well...............

Glasspack

image.jpgHere's my completed NCR Archer, I used an Estes 29mm
Retainer, 36" Top Flight chute, and installed an
Ejection baffle in the lower tube about 8" down.
Awesome kit, very high quality components!

Still cant get the pic to stay vertical!

Last edited:
Here's my completed NCR Archer, I used an Estes 29mm
Retainer, 36" Top Flight chute, and installed an
Ejection baffle in the lower tube about 8" down.
Awesome kit, very high quality components!

Still cant get the pic to stay vertical!

Now that is a great looking rocket!

Thanks Qquake, I just ordered a second upper payload tube from Matt/Apogee. I wasnt very happy with the amount of payload space I had with the baffle I installed. So I will be changin the design a little. Going to tie the shock cord to the NC and not use the bulkhead on the aft of the payload section and use a shock cord protector on the kevlar coming out of the lower section to prevent zipper. I'll post some pics of before and after as soon as the new tube gets here.

Ok Ok! July 13th cant get here fast enough! I want to see mine fly now!

Here is the one I just completed. Only a few mods: baffle just above the MM, Estes 29mm retention, nylon strap instead of the underwear waistband, 10/10 rail buttons, and a Red/White/Blue chute from Cato Chutes.

Kudos to Mark and Stickershock for the great high quality stickers.

IMG_20131028_165809_756.jpg

Very Nice! Great Flyer. Flown mine on an Estes F50-6T and AT F26-6J, great flights! The F26 gave a nice realtively slow lift, next month, G88 Smokey Sam, should put it over 1100ft.
Weighs a little over 23oz, no motor.

Thx. I plan on using the larger 29mm cases in this one and sending it up even higher :)

An upscale version scratchbuilt from LOC parts:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412619720.216443.jpg
5.5" Diam. x 96" Tall
1/4" Baltic Birch Fins and Strakes
54mm Motor Mount/Aeropack Retainer
RRC3 Main Altimeter/RRC2+ Back Up Altimeter
24" Heavy Duty Drogue from Spherachutes
8' Main from Spherachutes
4 flights so far:
View attachment 252593
CTI 4 Grain K940 White Thunder: 2936ft
IMG_1309cropped.jpg
CTI 6 Grain K711 White: 4649ft
CTI 6 Grain K820 Blue Streak 4507ft No picture.
LDRS-2612-(ZF-2624-42409-1-005).jpg
CTI 6XL L730 Classic: 4991ft

Last edited:
Here’s a quick snap I took of my SA-14 Archer. LOVE this kit!

For those of you looking to go higher with this kit, MAC Performance Rocketry has a canvas phenolic version of this rocket available. It's a little taller to accommodate the AV bay, and comes with a 54mm mmt. It's not really listed in his kit line, but if you ask, he will build it. When I start building it, I'll do a thread.
And for the Lance Beta fans, Wildman offers a 4" FG version with a 54mm mmt.

Back