redundant altimeter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeG

Reaction score
When using two complete altimeter dual deployment systems is it necessary to house each altimeter in it's own section of the ebay or can they share a common chamber? If so why? If there is a blow by of ejection gasses on either bay your day is pretty much ruined either way.

I plan to do some ground testing. If it works on the ground it should work in the air.......right?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,

My dual altimeter rockets house both in the same ebay. I can't recall anyone using separate chambers for each altimeter.

I use dual alts in a single bay on everything 4" dia and bigger. If you are having blow by problems then you may need to rethink how you are doing your bulkheads.

Single bay here as well, and why would you have "blow-by"? It's not that hard to seal the ends of your bays.

Pictures below show how I make my bulkheads for my e-bays. I have not had any blow-by doing them this way.

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

OK thanks. I seem to remember a lot of articles with separators in ebays using two altimeters. Maybe I misremembered.

Getting ready for my level three and I tend to overthink some things.

I am not having any blow by either. I have a lot of experience with altimeters both single and dual deployment but have not used dual altimeters yet.

In one discussion I had the only reason we could come up with to do it separately was in case one leaked but that pretty much ends the flight anyway.
So it was a "just in case" scenario. That's why I asked the question.

That's the reason I'm going to use two altimeters in this rocket. Just in case. Right?

Thanks for the info.

That's the reason I'm going to use two altimeters in this rocket. Just in case. Right?

It could always end up like my Nike Smoke at Tripoli Pittsburghs October Launch in 2007 (the launch after my L3). Both altimeters were working on the pad, but once it hit apogee, nothing. When the shards were recovered, no charges had been fired. Still not sure exactly what happened, but it was the first flight of my G-Wiz MC2 after service from GQiz Partners. I personally suspect that the switches let go.

Head over to Scott's Website to see the carnage (Pictures -> October 21, 2007)

A direct link is here

It could always end up like my Nike Smoke at Tripoli Pittsburghs October Launch in 2007 (the launch after my L3). Both altimeters were working on the pad, but once it hit apogee, nothing. When the shards were recovered, no charges had been fired. Still not sure exactly what happened, but it was the first flight of my G-Wiz MC2 after service from GQiz Partners. I personally suspect that the switches let go.

A direct link is here

Joe,
I still have the sound in my head from when it hit the ground and it is almost 2 years ago. It was a nice flight going up thou.

A direct link is here

Allen, I had the same problem with MC2... firs flight never work!!
fortunatly i flew it in a rocket just to test it, motor ejection done the job at exact time

but when i downloaded data nothing were stored and nothing were fired.. I just used 2 small lamps to close the switch.

after that it always worked perfectly.. :confused2:

Allen, I had the same problem with MC2... firs flight never work!!
fortunatly i flew it in a rocket just to test it, motor ejection done the job at exact time

but when i downloaded data nothing were stored and nothing were fired.. I just used 2 small lamps to close the switch.

after that it always worked perfectly.. :confused2:

The bad thing is I had a PerfectFlite MAWD in there too... That altimeter had been flown at least a dozen times prior without any problems at all.

Oh well...

Joe, basically, um... as long as you don't use a GWiz altimeter like the MC2, you should be fine.

Back