CTI Cesaroni Technology

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see. Very limited in what you have. Why can't you put the ejection charge close to the nose cone? I would hope there is a bulkhead protecting those valuable electronics.

The electronics bay is in the nose cone and the main chute is in the forward section of the rocket. The drogue is located around the motor assembly. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412519755.348484.jpg

The small chute fits in between the fins and is tethered to a bulkhead in the center of the rocket. Like thisImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412519820.925365.jpg

And this is the unfinished nose cone av bay. It now has an eye bolt and a charge cup with hook ups.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412519849.766564.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I've also figured out that with the J1055 Vmax it will make the rocket go Mach 1.29 which is a problem with the plastic nose correct?

I've also figured out that with the J1055 Vmax it will make the rocket go Mach 1.29 which is a problem with the plastic nose correct?

Well first off, I would start a thread for your rocket so we don't get too far off topic in this thread (I don't mind, some others might though). But I'm not entirely sure about the plastic cone. Like I said, start a thread on it and ask your questions about the rocket there.

Not a problem. I have flown Loc cones 38 and 54 mm over Mach without issue. Larger sizes might be filled with foam to stiffen them up.

Mark Koelsch

Well first off, I would start a thread for your rocket so we don't get too far off topic in this thread (I don't mind, some others might though). But I'm not entirely sure about the plastic cone. Like I said, start a thread on it and ask your questions about the rocket there.

I have a build thread on it already. Then I guess when I started asking about motors everyone lost interest. Search redbull. The title is redbull gives you wings.

Eric,

Jerone , are there any plans to fill in the 54mm animal compatible line ? Im really looking for a black bear load in the 54/2550 .

We were not planning on adding any more reloads to the AMW54 line at this moment. But we are always open for suggestions!

The Black Bear (Smoky Sam) propellant is a rather fast burning propellant and would require a large core. Therefor we never developed a BB reload for the 2550 case. That is also the reason why there is no Pro54-6GXL Smoky Sam.

Jeroen

I wish for a slower burning smoky. About halfway between MY and SS. And seriously black smoke.

Jeroen thank you for the fast reply . Im doing a 4 x 54 cluster of 2550's and would love some black loads . I really enjoy CTI's motors , but 95% of my hardware is snap ring based . While im dreaming , what are the odds of CTI doing a limited run of classic skidmark loads for the 1750 / 2550 ( k555 / k 1000 ) cases ?

Eric

Jeroen thank you for the fast reply . Im doing a 4 x 54 cluster of 2550's and would love some black loads . I really enjoy CTI's motors , but 95% of my hardware is snap ring based . While im dreaming , what are the odds of CTI doing a limited run of classic skidmark loads for the 1750 / 2550 ( k555 / k 1000 ) cases ?

Eric

They already do. 1750 case is the K-610 [ 94.00 Wildman] and the k-1075 for the 2250....this one is a beast 361 lbs max thrust. I have flown 2 and have 2 more ready to go.....K-1075 [108.00 Wildman] I flown the M-2050 skid for the 7600 case too.

Listed as AMW-Pro-X:

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowProducts.aspx?Class=910&Sub=911&Sub1=915

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 10.57.36 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Do you guys have any idea how extreme acceleration (around or above 100 G's) affects the motor burn times?

I flew a 38mm I540 (P38-5G) in an 11-oz minimum diameter rocket with an onboard 105G accelerometer, and it showed the motor behaving much differently than the published thrust curve. It shows a burn time of ~0.6 seconds with another half second of low-thrust tail-off, and a max thrust of over 800 N. This rocket reached 105+ G's.

Untitled4.png

simfile1398_1000x600n.png

Do you guys have any idea how extreme acceleration (around or above 100 G's) affects the motor burn times?

100+ G's axially will not affect the burn time at lot, but it looks like you may have lost one (or more) grains towards the end of the burn. When the propellant grains have a thin web left at the end of the burn, they can collapse and get ejected through the nozzle.

Jeroen

100+ G's axially will not affect the burn time at lot, but it looks like you may have lost one (or more) grains towards the end of the burn. When the propellant grains have a thin web left at the end of the burn, they can collapse and get ejected through the nozzle.

Jeroen

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense, the nozzle was cracked/pitted a lot more than usual, and the liner was very burned up. Are there any ways of preventing this from happening in the future?

Photo Sep 30, 3 43 26 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 30, 3 46 38 PM.jpg

Jim thanks for the heads up , but the k610 and k1075 are not the original formula . I flew the k1075 , and the smoke was thin and white with bright white sparks .

Eric

Jim thanks for the heads up , but the k610 and k1075 are not the original formula . I flew the k1075 , and the smoke was thin and white with bright white sparks .

Eric

We use Paul's formula (verified by Paul). Just a different catalyst - hence the different color.

Same recipes can lead to different result - ask 10 people to bake a cake from the same recipe. There is also a remarkable difference in the variation of the Ti lot-to-lot. Did you fly a 2013 or later motor? That's when we received a new lot of Ti for the 54mm motors.

Jeroen

Hi thread. In the last couple of days I've become a member of my university's rocketry society that by all accounts has had a terrible history, falling into disuse before being resurrected badly last year. This year is an all new crew.

One of our previous incarnations had a bunch of Cesaroni stuff. Specifically, we've got two Hyper Tek hybrid rocket systems of 2002-2004 vintage and a bunch of reloads for them.

What I would like to know is:

1) Are these things safe? They appear to be free of damage, but I'm pretty wary of pressurising a canister thats been sat in a cupboard for a decade.

2) Is it possible to get any reloads or the ignition system for them? I havent been able to find a place that sells them in the UK, and the one place I found in the US says that they're no longer being made by Cesaroni.

Thanks for your help.

Any plans to add the Vmax or C-Star propellants to the 54-6xl line?

We use Paul's formula (verified by Paul). Just a different catalyst - hence the different color.
Jeroen

That's crazy it's the same formula with that minor tweak--the difference in look is definitely apparent. Ever consider using the original catalyst? Would love to see the thicker darker smoke and that thumping flame again. Besides the thinner, lighter smoke trail, the new skids' flame seems to be more consistent with a loud roar rather than "sputtering" like the old skids. Just my input...they're still a blast to fly!! As are all your motors:)

Last edited:
Hi thread. In the last couple of days I've become a member of my university's rocketry society that by all accounts has had a terrible history, falling into disuse before being resurrected badly last year. This year is an all new crew.

One of our previous incarnations had a bunch of Cesaroni stuff. Specifically, we've got two Hyper Tek hybrid rocket systems of 2002-2004 vintage and a bunch of reloads for them.

What I would like to know is:

1) Are these things safe? They appear to be free of damage, but I'm pretty wary of pressurising a canister thats been sat in a cupboard for a decade.

2) Is it possible to get any reloads or the ignition system for them? I havent been able to find a place that sells them in the UK, and the one place I found in the US says that they're no longer being made by Cesaroni.

Thanks for your help.

Contact Malcolm https://www.rocketsandthings.com/

Where in the UK are you?

The other day I was wondering why the pink reloads are only available in 5grains (except for the 24mm size).

Today I answered my own question:
That's the top grain in a 54mm pink:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412819896.694638.jpg

And that's the bottom grain:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412819933.944014.jpg

So my guess is that there is some bluestreak grains and some red lightning grains. Correct?

Shining a flashlight down the core I was able to count 4 blue grains. That means the only the bottom grain is red lightning if my theory is correct.

Also I have a 4grain K160 Classic long burn. When I was moving it from point A to point B I noticed that there was something moving around in the inside. At first I thought it was because I didn't have the closure tightened all the way. After tightening the closure a bit more, there was still something moving in there. I noticed neither the nozzle or delay/ejection module were moving, therefore I determined it was the grains. So I opened it up and was surprised (but not too surprised) that it was one long grain. But my question is, is the grain supposed to have any play inside the liner?

Also I have a 4grain K160 Classic long burn. When I was moving it from point A to point B I noticed that there was something moving around in the inside. At first I thought it was because I didn't have the closure tightened all the way. After tightening the closure a bit more, there was still something moving in there. I noticed neither the nozzle or delay/ejection module were moving, therefore I determined it was the grains. So I opened it up and was surprised (but not too surprised) that it was one long grain. But my question is, is the grain supposed to have any play inside the liner?

Perfectly normal.

But this motor isn't even close to the next impulse class. That extra 1/8" of grain would make me less worried. I guess they make it that way for a reason though.

Back