I've admired Aerotech's version of the Astrobee D for some time now. But after acquiring Aerojet's CD of information about it, I've decided to scratch build one. It will be half scale, 3" diameter and 76" long. Much to some of your chagrin, I'm sure, I've decided on a 29mm motor mount. That'll give me many, many choices of motors, from G's to I's (which I'll never fly it on), with altitudes from 600ft all the way to 2300ft. I'm thinking I'll keep it in the 1500ft range.
When I first looked at the photos, I thought that the fins were very simple. However, after looking closely at the drawings, I've realized that the fins are very complex indeed. There are bevels and bumps all over the place! I know my limitations. My patience and skill levels are nowhere near enough for fins like these. So the fins will be flat. I'll focus instead on some simpler scale details.
One of the details I've decided to focus on will be the original launch lugs. Initially I was planning on using Acme conformal rail guides, but I've since decided on using rail buttons on the rear of the rocket, and making scale decorative launch lugs for the front. I've decided on this for two reasons. One, scale launch lugs won't fit in a standard rail. And two, as far as I can tell the launch lugs were positioned on the front of the rocket, where the logos will be. I don't want them facing the rail.